Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

I'm doing it, hopefully sub 1.30 and then some but we'll see how it goes, looking forward to it now, must look at the course
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Looks like a nice course, the 10 mile mark looks like a great spot to up the pace, that road is quick (obvs until you get back into the park!)

laoislad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 19, 2014, 02:42:05 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 19, 2014, 01:16:36 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 19, 2014, 12:05:18 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 19, 2014, 11:44:12 AM
I'm doing it.
Finish is on Furze Road so the nearest gate would be Castleknock Gate or the gate at Mount Sackville.
I'm going to park at Wrights Pub and walk up,it's about a 10 minute walk to the Start from there.

Much parking round that pub? I'll tell him that so.

The missus is doing it as well but in travelling with a running group.

Hows the training going? Tomorrow should get you back on track after the ten miler, lesson learnt and all that!

I haven't forgot you either and will stick some sponsorship before the day.

They have a car park across road from pub,should be plenty of parking.
Training going well,hoping for sub 2hr tomorrow.

Edit: Just so there's no confusion the pub is actually called Wrights - The Anglers Rest.
It's down the hill from Mount Sackville entrance.I drive the back roads from Lucan to get there.

Use the distance from the pub to do your stretching and light jog, get the circulation going and warmed up. Hate arriving at these things late, always puts we bitta pressure on you when not required so plenty time. You sitting with the pacers 1.45/1.50? if so get in earlier enough (not sure of the starting grid) as things can get congested in there.

If I wasn't so bloody busy I'd have ran this. Good luck to all the boarders

1:45...Are you taking the piss?Not a hope.

No I'm going to start out half way between 2hr and 1:50 pacers.. See how I'm going and If I am going well push on near the end and If not I'll be happy staying at the pace I am and hopefully stay under 2hrs.
I don't want to make a hames of it like I did at the 10mile and I don't want to do something stupid and put myself out of the Marathon.
I'm really only looking at it as a quick paced training run. If I break 2hrs I'll be delighted.

Best of luck Mayo4Sam.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mayo4Sam

Best of luck to everyone

LL, I'll keep an eye out for you

WT4E

I'm doing it - done a good bit of training but mad a bit of an error last night - went out with a mate for a couple of beers and ended up being 'a right few'! :( Drinking plenty of water today and early night tonight so hopefully won't come too badly against me. I'm like LL just hoping to break 2 hrs and i'll be happy.

Also, As I'm a total novice to this kind of thing - I take it registration is complete? there are no further things to do - so just pin on number and go for it at 10am? If you were at the start line warmed up for 9:45 that would be ok?

CD

Good luck to all the weekend runners

I've picked up a bit of an injury.  :( Woke up with a lot of swelling and pain around the achilles on Monday. Rested all week and used loads of ice and compression socks etc. Was a bit too sore to stretch the calf until yesterday. Ran 2 miles last night on grass with no ill effects. Four days without running is the longest I've gone in a year!

Swelling and pain have gone but I have a really uncomfortable popping sensation in low calf/achilles. Had it for a few weeks but now it's sore and I'm sure it's linked to the injury on Monday. 5 1/2 weeks to Dublin marathon - going to have to nurse myself to the start line. Any advice on the popping much appreciated!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

muppet

Quote from: CD on September 19, 2014, 06:28:02 PM

I've picked up a bit of an injury.  :( Woke up with a lot of swelling and pain around the achilles on Monday. Rested all week and used loads of ice and compression socks etc. Was a bit too sore to stretch the calf until yesterday. Ran 2 miles last night on grass with no ill effects. Four days without running is the longest I've gone in a year!

Swelling and pain have gone but I have a really uncomfortable popping sensation in low calf/achilles. Had it for a few weeks but now it's sore and I'm sure it's linked to the injury on Monday. 5 1/2 weeks to Dublin marathon - going to have to nurse myself to the start line. Any advice on the popping much appreciated!

I have this all of the time (minus the swelling). I saw exercises on youtube whereby you stand on the very edge of a step and stretch it to its full extent and then raise yourself up and down slowly. If this goes well you can hold weights to make it stronger. It really helped me although it has never fully gone away.

Best of luck with it.

MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on September 19, 2014, 06:28:02 PM

Yes plenty stretching and you've nearly done the whole programme and plenty miles done this year. You'll be grand on the day CD
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Ice it and ice it lots. When you get problems down there very hard to get rid of inflammation due to lack of blood flow so icing key.

Stretch the calves loads.

Don't know why it would be popping but see a physio!

CD

Cheers for the advice lads - the ice is on as we speak - really seems to help. Have a physio appointment next week - I was boasting to him about how straightforward and injury free I've been just last week at a massage! Jinxed it!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

WT4E

How did everyone get on?

I was pleased with my run - I had aimed for 1:55 then I felt lousy on Friday and thought I wouldn't be fit to run but got up this morning and felt a good bit better so went and readjusted my expectation to 2:00.

Finished up with 1:48 - over the moon as it's my first real race bar one 6 years ago over 5mile.

LL how did you go? I saw your leaflet in the goody bag - still haven't donated but I will by the end of the week (pay day coming) great cause!

Rois

Quote from: WT4E on September 20, 2014, 09:23:51 PM
How did everyone get on?

I was pleased with my run - I had aimed for 1:55 then I felt lousy on Friday and thought I wouldn't be fit to run but got up this morning and felt a good bit better so went and readjusted my expectation to 2:00.

Finished up with 1:48 - over the moon as it's my first real race bar one 6 years ago over 5mile.

LL how did you go? I saw your leaflet in the goody bag - still haven't donated but I will by the end of the week (pay day coming) great cause!
Brilliant!  That's a fantastic time, especially when your expectations were for a good bit slower. 

laoislad

How did everyone get on?

Wow fantastic time.
Good and sort of but not really that bad for me today. Was going grand until mile 10 was on for about 1:54ish finish based on my average pace but just after passing 10 mile marker felt a twinge in my leg. Stopped for a minute to stretch to see would it make any difference but it didn't so I was left wondering should I push on or jog to finish and not do further damage.
I decided on the latter and came in 2:01 which is still a new PB.
Not really all that disappointed though to be honest as I'm glad I took the sensible (I think) option as I was nervous at that stage of doing something that would mess up my Marathon.
Found pace very comfortable and would have finished fairly well if I hadn't felt that twinge.
It was probably nothing and I feel grand now but thats the option I took at 10miles.
I didn't know that leaflet would be in it,was a nice surprise.

Bingo - Saw a good few Blaney Rockets bibs
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

andoireabu

Quote from: laoislad on September 20, 2014, 09:55:49 PM
How did everyone get on?

Wow fantastic time.
Good and sort of but not really that bad for me today. Was going grand until mile 10 was on for about 1:54ish finish based on my average pace but just after passing 10 mile marker felt a twinge in my leg. Stopped for a minute to stretch to see would it make any difference but it didn't so I was left wondering should I push on or jog to finish and not do further damage.
Not really all that disappointed though to be honest as I'm glad I took the sensible (I think) option as I was nervous at that stage of doing something that would mess up my Marathon.
Found pace very comfortable and would have finished fairly well if I hadn't felt that twinge.
It was probably nothing and I feel grand now but thats the option I took at 10miles.

I had the same problem last weekend. Went out for 13 miles and got an odd ping in the ankle after 6 miles. Walked home and have rested the week and it feels good now. Was worried about not following the marathon plan for the week but it might have done more damage. Happy enough if I get up to 20 miles before the marathon and then taper out the rest. Getting v close now though. Nerves are starting!
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

WT4E

Quote from: laoislad on September 20, 2014, 09:55:49 PM
Wow fantastic time.

Thanks - Glad to hear you PB'd it and sure your pace of for a 1.54 should leave in you in for a good marathon time. Think I'm going to leave a marathon for another while as Half is far enough for me at the min!