Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Fcuk me that was tough. 17.3 miles done this morning at 9'38 min a mile pace.
Last 2 miles were torture but I got there.
Time for a cold bath and a sleep before the Liverpool Spurs game.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

CD

Quote from: laoislad on August 31, 2014, 09:06:02 AM

Fantastic running - well done - really struggled with those last couple of miles myself!

My mile times were all over the place because I started by doing 4 miles on my own, then did Parkrun, then ran 10.8miles with a mate. Varied from 7.30s to 9.10s I think. I need to settle into a steady pace soon - I used a lot of energy early on yesterday and I think that contributed to my tough finish.

I bought a box of the high 5 gels because I think they're the ones they hand out in Dublin. I used one yesterday at about 12 miles and definitely got a wee kick from it. Felt a bit queazy for a few hours after I'd finished but I think that was just my body craving various salts etc, rather than a side effect of the gel. I'll try it again next week and see.

Went to the swimming pool this morning with the kids - great therapy for the legs after yesterday!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

WT4E

Good going LL - Was out myself Saturday. I was suppose to do 13.1mile according to Nike coach - I found it very tough only managed about 11 mile - although a few things conspired against me - My phone ran out of juice at about 10 mile so I had no way of knowing what pace I was running at or what distance I was doing. Also felt a great need for the toilet so had to take a short cut home from the intended 13 mile route  :-[ :-[
Lessoned learned there. I have to build up to 16mile this Saturday and I'm starting to wonder if I am having trouble with 13 mile at this stage I won't have a hope of 26 by end of October.

laoislad

Quote from: WT4E on September 01, 2014, 11:53:30 AM

Good going LL - Was out myself Saturday. I was suppose to do 13.1mile according to Nike coach - I found it very tough only managed about 11 mile - although a few things conspired against me - My phone ran out of juice at about 10 mile so I had no way of knowing what pace I was running at or what distance I was doing. Also felt a great need for the toilet so had to take a short cut home from the intended 13 mile route  :-[ :-[
Lessoned learned there. I have to build up to 16mile this Saturday and I'm starting to wonder if I am having trouble with 13 mile at this stage I won't have a hope of 26 by end of October.

Haven't a clue tbh. Maybe one of the more experienced fellas on here can tell you more. I would have thought with only 8 weeks left you should be a least at 13 miles at this stage. I think you need to do at least one 20mile before the big day. I have two to do going by my training plan.
Are you doing half marathon in September.

WT4E

Im still thinking about it! I suppose I could do it and see how I go and then decide whether to enter the full marathon after that!

andoireabu

What sort of a course is the Dublin Marathon?  Would it be fairly flat or are there a few leg busting hills?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Bingo

Quote from: andoireabu on September 01, 2014, 02:18:17 PM
What sort of a course is the Dublin Marathon?  Would it be fairly flat or are there a few leg busting hills?

Its fairly flat, no big long hills of note. Short testing one round UCD, Roebuck hill. Its hardly that it should be cause its round 21miles, with new route this year could even be at 23miles which makes it harder than it should be but plenty of support on it and good downhill after it. Its nothing to worry about.

After a really good start to August, I'd a few bad weeks which came off the back of a couple unexpected races. Bad weeks in that I just didn't hit the miles I planned. Was even considering weather to run Dublin at all.

Got out early on Sunday, planned 16 miles and they went very well. Ran with the club and we'd a good turnout, about a dozen or so. Main run was at 9am which was 10miles, so a few headed early to get another 6 miles in. Felt I'd done them afterwards but could have kept going. Averaged 7.20 per mile for the 16 and finished with a 6.30min mile.

Back on the happy bus  ;D

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on September 01, 2014, 05:31:54 PM

Got out early on Sunday, planned 16 miles and they went very well. Ran with the club and we'd a good turnout, about a dozen or so. Main run was at 9am which was 10miles, so a few headed early to get another 6 miles in. Felt I'd done them afterwards but could have kept going. Averaged 7.20 per mile for the 16 and finished with a 6.30min mile.

I hate you.

laoislad

Seriously though how do you boys manage to keep that pace for so long..
I finished with a 8'15 mile at the end of 17 miles on Sunday and I was delighted with it... :-[

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2014, 05:43:32 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 01, 2014, 05:31:54 PM

I hate you.

;D  ;D

I'm on Dublin marathon #3, you've it all ahead of you  ;)

magpie seanie

I don't know if I could do one 6.30 mile!!!!

Dubh driocht

I haven't joined the league table but we did 16 on Saturday in exactly 128 minutes, hitting our target of 8 minute miles. Looking forward to this time 8 weeks when I can hopefully celebrate with all the posters here, as well as Donegal's second Sam,Marty Clarke's return and Balotelli's player of the month award.

laoislad

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 01, 2014, 07:27:36 PM
I haven't joined the league table but we did 16 on Saturday in exactly 128 minutes, hitting our target of 8 minute miles. Looking forward to this time 8 weeks when I can hopefully celebrate with all the posters here, as well as Donegal's second Sam,Marty Clarke's return and Balotelli's player of the month award.
Ha I like your thinking!
How many of us are doing it anyway?
Myself
Mayo4Sam
Bingo
Dubh Driocht
CD
WT4E
Ballinaman

magpie seanie

Someone didn't use the latest copy

andoireabu

Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2014, 07:40:24 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 01, 2014, 07:27:36 PM
Ha I like your thinking!
How many of us are doing it anyway?
Myself
Mayo4Sam
Bingo
Dubh Driocht
CD
WT4E
Ballinaman
iv signed up as well though the weekend has put the fear in me. Ran a long hill at the start of a 16 miler and by 14 miles the legs gave up. 
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!