Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Good running you two. Adrenaline can get the better of you LL. It's not the end of the world though - it's possibly a good lesson for the marathon as if you go off like that in it you could be in trouble!! Very hard to get your pace right in races at times until you have a few under the belt.

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 11:49:21 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 26, 2014, 10:36:29 AM
Some running Muppet fair play.

If you were running an app for your 10 miler you may be able to work out the split times for your first 5k. It sounded like you really went off quick.
23:50 for the 5k according to my gps watch splits.
I was never going to be able keep that pace for 10 miles.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mayo4Sam

Shows you've a good fast 5k in you is what I'd take out of that
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on August 26, 2014, 11:57:35 AM

If you were running an app for your 10 miler you may be able to work out the split times for your first 5k. It sounded like you really went off quick.

There you go, is that a PB?
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 12:01:51 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 26, 2014, 11:57:35 AM

There you go, is that a PB?
Yeah by about 50secs but I'm not going to count it as it's only from the watch splits and it was part of a longer race.
Looking forward to doing park runs again when this Marathon is over!

WT4E

Frig it going to enter the marathon anyway and start the training now - see how I get on.

Can someone post a link to the 2014 marathon route - would like to see where it actually goes.

WT4E

WT4E

Done my longest run to date on Tues night - 9 mile (1hr 19min) - found it very tough - starting to worry that 2 months isn't enough time to get into shape for the Marathon!

PS Does anyone use the nike running app? Looking a few friend adds to measure myself against something.

Mayo4Sam

Getting used to training with the HRM now that the VO2 max test is done

Had a threshold session on tuesday nite, after being on the beer sunday, really had to rein in the pace to keep the HR where it was meant to be
Then last nite had a 70 min Zone 1 run, f**k me thats a pain, just above a brisk walk!

Mayo4Sam

Did my first long run today via HR.
So previously had been sticking to 5min/km for 15 and 16 miles, struggled towards the end to hold it.
So today set off with just HR and total time on the watch. My lactate threshold is at 171 so decided on 155-160 for the run. The plan was 2.5hrs, stuck handily enough to the HR, felt it slacking off at times but was easy to pick it up. Tired at the end but came in it 4.53/km, delighted with that.

Now off to Limerick to light the place up (literally) with Ballinaman!

muppet

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 30, 2014, 11:56:39 AM
Did my first long run today via HR.
So previously had been sticking to 5min/km for 15 and 16 miles, struggled towards the end to hold it.
So today set off with just HR and total time on the watch. My lactate threshold is at 171 so decided on 155-160 for the run. The plan was 2.5hrs, stuck handily enough to the HR, felt it slacking off at times but was easy to pick it up. Tired at the end but came in it 4.53/km, delighted with that.

Now off to Limerick to light the place up (literally) with Ballinaman!

Great stuff Mayo4Sam.

ParkRun again this morning.

Set out to take it handy and just try to get within 30 seconds of last week's 23:32. Then saw a Kerry jersey ahead of me. The green and red mist descended. Just after half way I passed him. Ran the rest telling myself there is no way I am letting him catch me in the last few metres. 23:12 official!

And still no sign of the Kerry jersey.

On my way to Limerick.
MWWSI 2017

Mayo4Sam

Good man muppet, Maigh Eo Abu!

laoislad

Fair play Muppet you're flying it.
I went and did the Frank Duffy 10mile course again today.
1'35 last week 1'27 today.
Paced myself much better than the race last week and had loads left in the tank at the end.
Needed to do it to get last week's disappointed out of my head.
17miles to do tomorrow  :-\

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on August 30, 2014, 12:50:23 PM
Paced myself much better than the race last week and had loads left in the tank at the end.

Good man. 1:27 is a big improvement and it sounds like you were comfortable at the end. That obviously is a better reflection of how well you are going in training. Keep it up.
MWWSI 2017

CD

Quote from: laoislad on August 30, 2014, 12:50:23 PM
-
Great improvement there - that's a real confidence booster! At 17 miles this morning myself - actually ran 17.8! That's the first time I've struggled a bit - found that last mile tough but felt great afterwards. I think that's the way it's going to be each week now - every mile after 16 is really tough. I suppose it's good preparation - having to grit the teeth and really dig in at the end. Good luck tomorrow.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!