Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Thanks for the well wishes lads but it turned into a bit of disaster for me today.
Was buzzing at the start and maybe a bit too pumped up and went out way too fast.
I fell in with a crowd wearing Drogheda Athletics bibs and they seemed to be having good banter among themselves so it was easy enough follow them.
I didn't realise though the pace I was running at and ran the first 3 miles in about 23mins.Bare in mind my fastest 5k is only 24'39 so I was going way too fast for a 10mile.
Around mile 5 I started to feel the burn and by mile 7 I was almost dead on my feet. The hill inside the Chapelizod gate to the Phoenix Park almost killed me and I have ran that hill dozens of times in training without any bother.
I managed to struggle home in 1:35 and I'm very disappointed with that. I really felt with the way my training was going I'd easily go under 1:30. I've actually done longer training runs at a faster pace than my final average pace today.
I learned a few harsh lessons today that will hopefully stand to me in future races.
Very disappointed after it all.

Well done to you muppet thats a fantastic time. Also best of luck to seanie today.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on August 23, 2014, 12:41:23 PM
Thanks for the well wishes lads but it turned into a bit of disaster for me today.
Was buzzing at the start and maybe a bit too pumped up and went out way too fast.
I fell in with a crowd wearing Drogheda Athletics bibs and they seemed to be having good banter among themselves so it was easy enough follow them.
I didn't realise though the pace I was running at and ran the first 3 miles in about 23mins.Bare in mind my fastest 5k is only 24'39 so I was going way too fast for a 10mile.
Around mile 5 I started to feel the burn and by mile 7 I was almost dead on my feet. The hill inside the Chapelizod gate to the Phoenix Park almost killed me and I have ran that hill dozens of times in training without any bother.
I managed to struggle home in 1:35 and I'm very disappointed with that. I really felt with the way my training was going I'd easily go under 1:30. I've actually done longer training runs at a faster pace than my final average pace today.
I learned a few harsh lessons today that will hopefully stand to me in future races.

Well done to you muppet thats a fantastic time. Also best of luck to seanie today.

I sounds like you easily did a PB in the first 5k. 1:35 is still pretty good and you still have 2 months to go.

The head plays funny games when running in an event. I nearly f*cked myself up today with a guy who was cutting corners and obviously trying to stay ahead of me. I decided to ignore him after a while, and settled back into my own race.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2014, 12:47:54 PM

I sounds like you easily did a PB in the first 5k. 1:35 is still pretty good and you still have 2 months to go.

The head plays funny games when running in an event. I nearly f*cked myself up today with a guy who was cutting corners and obviously trying to stay ahead of me. I decided to ignore him after a while, and settled back into my own race.
Probably a PB for 5k alright Muppet I didn't even think of that. I dunno does it count if its part of a longer race.
To be honest it means nothing to me anyway as I'm so annoyed with the way the rest of the race went.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on August 23, 2014, 01:44:46 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2014, 12:47:54 PM

Probably a PB for 5k alright Muppet I didn't even think of that. I dunno does it count if its part of a longer race.
To be honest it means nothing to me anyway as I'm so annoyed with the way the rest of the race went.

Was at an event few months ago (Downpatrick 10k) and that was the case for a lad I was running with, he was hell bent on staying with me and by the 5k mark he was doing grand, the first major hill came and he blew up, walked the hill and then jogged the rest.

I'd said in previous post if you'd have kept a 7mph pace you'd have been grand, being disciplined is the hardest thing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Well I did it. Got to the finish line in 1:46:58 but by Christ was it tough. My race actually went well enough to plan except I underestimated the damage the mountain climb and descent would do to me. Got to the turn off into the field in 27 minutes which was as planned. The climb just went on and on and on. Was at the top at 57 mins. Descent took about 10 minutes and was ok despite me fears beforehand. At 6k to go I realised beating my brothers first Warriors Run time of 1:42 was not on. I was at 1:12 with 6k left. With 4k left I was dying. I actually felt I wasn't moving at all and contemplated stopping. I now realise that it was simply that I ran out of fuel. Somehow I grinded it out to the finish line. Every cheer of "come on Seánie" in the closing stages kept me going, it's amazing the lift it gives you. Couldn't lift my head to look at the big screen as I approached the line but raising my fist at the line was some feeling. I'm actually quite emotional writing this now and would have been in tears at the time if I was able to cry. I now really know what empytying the tank means. Immediately I promised myself not only would I never do the Warriors again but that I would never run again!!!!!! The pain was incredible but the high and elation I experienced as the evening went on was something else. Had a few bottles of water, picked up the bag and in for a couple of pints. After going home, doing a fantasy NFL draft and burying a large pizza we went out for the night and it was just a great night. I was talking to loads of people, analysing how I can improve for next year.

Went for a 3 miles recovery run there a while ago. Legs very stiff, hope it will help me be able to walk tomorrow.

Thanks for all the good wishes and support. This was personal to me and you folks helped me along the way.

Well done to the guys on the PB's and LL - you'll learn a serious amount from that 10 miler so chin up.

laoislad

Fair play magpie, that run and finishing it obviously meant a lot to you. It's great to achieve something like that.

Bingo

Fair play Seanie, great running and great report. Hard to beat targeting a big race and coming through it.

LL, well done on the run. Down the line having a race experience like that could be the best thing that happens to you, better getting the pace wrong on Saturday rather than the half or even worse the full marathon. I'd say it happens to everyone at least once.

Orior

At the other end of the spectrum, I would be happy to break 27 mins for 5k
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Mayo4Sam

Had a bit of a disaster at the 10 miler myself, not enough sleep over the last few weeks meant I was very tired. HR through the roof for a lot of the race, probably paced myself well enough, I was dead coming home, 68.34.
But like LL I'll learn from this race.
Apparently this equates to a 3.12 marathon, and thats outside my goal, plenty of work to do and Mayo arent helping!

Well done on all the racing lads, fair play
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Orior

Duncairn Nomads in north Belfast used to have an annual 15 mile road race that went down from the Ballysillan and up the Antrim Road to Glengormley. I surprised myself by being under 60 mins at the 10 mile mark but the last mile back up the Ballysillan hills was torture. Finished in a good time but sick as a dog after I crossed the line. My time was 1 hr 29 min 5 secs.

Keep it going while you can lads. It won't last forever
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

WT4E

Is it too late to start training for the Dublin marathon?

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 24, 2014, 06:16:27 PM
Well I did it. Got to the finish line in 1:46:58 but by Christ was it tough. My race actually went well enough to plan except I underestimated the damage the mountain climb and descent would do to me. Got to the turn off into the field in 27 minutes which was as planned. The climb just went on and on and on. Was at the top at 57 mins. Descent took about 10 minutes and was ok despite me fears beforehand. At 6k to go I realised beating my brothers first Warriors Run time of 1:42 was not on. I was at 1:12 with 6k left. With 4k left I was dying. I actually felt I wasn't moving at all and contemplated stopping. I now realise that it was simply that I ran out of fuel. Somehow I grinded it out to the finish line. Every cheer of "come on Seánie" in the closing stages kept me going, it's amazing the lift it gives you. Couldn't lift my head to look at the big screen as I approached the line but raising my fist at the line was some feeling. I'm actually quite emotional writing this now and would have been in tears at the time if I was able to cry. I now really know what empytying the tank means. Immediately I promised myself not only would I never do the Warriors again but that I would never run again!!!!!! The pain was incredible but the high and elation I experienced as the evening went on was something else. Had a few bottles of water, picked up the bag and in for a couple of pints. After going home, doing a fantasy NFL draft and burying a large pizza we went out for the night and it was just a great night. I was talking to loads of people, analysing how I can improve for next year.

Went for a 3 miles recovery run there a while ago. Legs very stiff, hope it will help me be able to walk tomorrow.

Thanks for all the good wishes and support. This was personal to me and you folks helped me along the way.

Well done to the guys on the PB's and LL - you'll learn a serious amount from that 10 miler so chin up.

Fair play Seanie, great achievement. It sounds like one brutal event.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2014, 11:20:44 AM
Quote from: Bingo on August 23, 2014, 08:56:19 AM
Best of luck to Seanie in the warrior run and the lads doing the 10miler in the park. Great day for it.

Best of luck Seanie and to LL and co in the Phoenix Park.

Did my first park run this morning. I timed it at 23:40 but I will wait for the proper time (if I get one as I screwed up the token/barcode).

That would be a PB after a poor 4 weeks.

Memo to self: If I ever try for the DCM in October I will need to be very disciplined in July & August AND Mayo will have to be out of the Championship early.

Officially 23:32 and nearly a minute off my (non-treadmill) best.  :D
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Some running Muppet fair play.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on August 26, 2014, 10:36:29 AM
Some running Muppet fair play.

If you were running an app for your 10 miler you may be able to work out the split times for your first 5k. It sounded like you really went off quick.
MWWSI 2017