Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2014, 03:30:07 PM
I'll see you there LL, got a mates entry after all
You'll have the course done twice before I finish it once!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on August 21, 2014, 02:44:53 PM
Anyone doing the Frank Duffy 10 mile on Saturday?
Have ran the course a few times now and hoping for a good time (for me)
Be delighted to go under 1:30.

That will be a really decent time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2014, 03:53:21 PM

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on August 21, 2014, 04:41:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2014, 03:53:21 PM

If you run at 7mph you'll finish under 1.30, that should be well within your capability. If you averaged out (remember only 10 miles) at 7.5mph you'd be at 1.20 mins. But I suppose being so close to the Marathon you be best taking it careful
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mayo4Sam

So went and did a VO2 max test last nite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max

It was 62.4 for anyone interested thats done it before

More interesting were my HR zones for running.
I reach my lactate threshold at 171, which apparently when compared to my max HR, 189, is good, because they are close. I think it means in theory I could run at that HR for a long time, it equates to a pace of 4min/km

He said I need to do my longer runs at a higher HR, that I've more in the tank than I realise and I need to push myself

So thats my target for saturday, 4min/km, keeping my HR at about 165-168

As an aside, he was telling me about another lad that he trains, MAX HR of 198, reaches lactatethreshold at 196. Has an 80% recovery rate in two minutes, will do a 2hr 20 marathon
Have you ever heard of a Canty lad Ballinaman? From Mayo apparently, only took up running in the last few years
Must be an animal
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

€50 for that ML
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

I've only had the LT one done M4S but not the VO2 max.

I think mine came out bang on the 85% heart rate and the pace was something like 6:07 a mile for lactate threshold. It's interesting if you're into that kind of thing. I would expect the pros would do that kind of thing quite regularly and it shows you how scientific the endurance stuff could actually be.

imtommygunn

I did a free one in Jordanstown about four years ago. They'd also this fancy biomechanical assessment. However the guy who was doing it wasn't very good with communication so never got the biomechanical assessment results.

Jordanstown has all the gear for that stuff - it has the anti gravity treadmills and all too.

Bingo

Best of luck to Seanie in the warrior run and the lads doing the 10miler in the park. Great day for it.

CD

Quote from: Bingo on August 23, 2014, 08:56:19 AM
Best of luck to Seanie in the warrior run and the lads doing the 10miler in the park. Great day for it.
+1 Would like to try it in the future. Did 16miles this morning - saw my first kingfishers. Made my day
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

muppet

Quote from: Bingo on August 23, 2014, 08:56:19 AM

Best of luck Seanie and to LL and co in the Phoenix Park.

Did my first park run this morning. I timed it at 23:40 but I will wait for the proper time (if I get one as I screwed up the token/barcode).

That would be a PB after a poor 4 weeks.

Memo to self: If I ever try for the DCM in October I will need to be very disciplined in July & August AND Mayo will have to be out of the Championship early.
MWWSI 2017

leaveherinsir

24.30 in the parkrun this morning. Beat my under 25 target by end of August with a week to spare! New target. Not to be lapped by the winner next time!! :-)

muppet

Quote from: leaveherinsir on August 23, 2014, 12:09:42 PM
24.30 in the parkrun this morning. Beat my under 25 target by end of August with a week to spare! New target. Not to be lapped by the winner next time!! :-)

Well done. Which park run was it?
MWWSI 2017

leaveherinsir

Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2014, 12:11:25 PM

Cookstown. Getting chased by Tyrone weemen helps you run faster!!

muppet

Quote from: leaveherinsir on August 23, 2014, 12:21:03 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2014, 12:11:25 PM

Cookstown. Getting chased by Tyrone weemen helps you run faster!!

I could see that working alright!
MWWSI 2017