Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Atticus, up raven hill road or ormeau road is probably enough of a hill in a long run
Doing it myself

Did 15 miles yesterday, 4.59/km, felt good
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

CD

I run  south belfast all the time Atticus and I'm always trying new routes to keep it interesting. I run the Annaale own to the PEC and then towpath to Shaws Bridge sometimes - a lot of dogs and cyclists at times on this route. Out to the Carryduff roundabout and back is good - hilly and straiight if a bit boring . Purdysburn hill is a great climb. I also  run to Stormont and up to the top. Giants ring from the dub or mary peters track is a good mix of trail, road, path and grass but you'd get lost around there if you  didn't know the route.  Towpath from albert bridge to shaws is a favourite but  can be busy at times..
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

No1

Last time, I swear! Strangford Festival 10k, Friday 22nd August at 7.30pm. Time a few of you were signing up! Enter online on the Athletics NI website.

Oh and lfdown, your big, baldy brother in law can buy you the pints!! No secrets down our way!

Milltown Row2

I suppose this could have went into any of the 'keeping fit' threads but as this is the most popular one I'll put it in here.

Completed my first full Olympic distance Triathlon on Saturday in Rostrevor, while I didn't really train for it, I thought being reasonably fit and having done 9 sprint ones, it be hard but should be ok, managed to hump round in 3.23 and while I was grand that day/night I have felt shit since, went to spin class on Monday to loosen legs up as they felt heavy, felt crap and haven't since found any enthusiasm.

Question is, is this par for the course when doing a major event? I.E if you lot do a marathon or something like that do you usually rest up for a week afterwards? Or if I had have trained properly for it would I have been grand?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

leaveherinsir

Quote from: CD on August 09, 2014, 04:17:00 PM
Quote from: leaveherinsir on August 09, 2014, 04:07:30 PM
Gettin back into it after a near 2 year lay off.Bad back hampered me,then general laziness didnt help. Ran my first ever Park run on Portrush beach this morning. Beautiful morning at a stunning location. Nearly 200 done it in all shape, sizes and ages. Enjoyed it and finished in a very modest 27 mins.

Great running Sir! I've heard it's a lovely run - great time on sand.
It was a gorgeous morning hardly a cloud in the sky. Not so sure it would be so nice in the dead of winter!! Was mostly on firm sand bar gettin back onto the promenade to finish. Wouldnt have thought the sand would be much slower to run on. Have a long way before i get back to 5k in around 20 mins. Next target is to break 25mins by end of August!!

CD

No bother to you. The sand would easily account for 2minutes! I've been running Donegal coast this  week - the wind nearly took my feet from under me yesterday! The only nice thing about 4 miles into the wind was the 4 miles home! Felt like I was gliding!.

CD

16 miles this morning in horrible weather. Must get the winter gear out of the attic! Very gusty and wet! Used gel at mile 10. Worked well. Felt really comfortable.

laoislad

Me buddy Sean Hehir finished 20th in the Marathon this morning. Fair play to him.
He must be listening to my good advice  :)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on August 17, 2014, 10:23:10 AM
Me buddy Sean Hehir finished 20th in the Marathon this morning. Fair play to him.

Keep plugging the sponsorship LL. target nearly there
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2014, 10:58:33 AM

Well past it at this stage MR2 I've a good bit of money I raised offline to add to it.
People can still sponsor me at the link below though  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on August 17, 2014, 11:51:29 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2014, 10:58:33 AM

Well past it at this stage MR2 I've a good bit of money I raised offline to add to it.
People can still sponsor me at the link below though  ;)

That's brill, pressure off, run to concentrate on.

Bingo

Haven't posted here in a while with holidays and work.

Started my marathon programme two weeks ago, which was also the first week of the holidays down in East Cork. Had been ticking along rightly before that, so hit the plan running (excuse the pun).

Have even managed to get two races done. Saw that a 5km was on when down in Cork in Cloyne, checked it out and was a very popular one. Took myself over to it, was a lovely evening and myself and Bingo junior had a bit of a puck around in Christy Ring Park and admired his statute, which is very impressive. As is their new grounds. Anyway, massice ground for race and high in quality. Didn't know what time I'd do with the holiday food and done a tough 8 miles the day before. Finished just over 19mins in a very good race with 599 finishers in it.

Was a local 10miler on yesterday in Monaghan. Had ruled it out as plan called for 15miles and woman was on a hen Saturday night but turned out she was back early and was going to run it herself, so down we went. Registered, did 4miles round the town before the start and took off with the run. Great ground of near 500 doing it, was a good run despite the windy conditions. Started faster than I intended and kept a decent pace. Had planned to ease round it but got in a bit of race with a lad from Carmen. Passed him at 3 miles, he came back at 7 miles and could tell he put a lot in and he never pulled away despite coming from about 300 yards back on me. Passed him with a mile to go and he tried to stay with me but I pushed on. It was a fast finish and I picked up and he came like a rocket in last 100 yards. I got to the line ahead of him and we had a good laugh when we got the breath back. Finished in 1.08.45, which is a PB.

Will have to look at this weeks running as legs feel it today and will likely have to ease the pace a bit this week. Hopefully no more races till after the marathon.

Mayo4Sam

Anyone with an entry to the 10 miler on Saturday in ye PP?
Left it too late to enter

laoislad

Anyone doing the Frank Duffy 10 mile on Saturday?
Have ran the course a few times now and hoping for a good time (for me)
Be delighted to go under 1:30.

Mayo4Sam

I'll see you there LL, got a mates entry after all