Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

CD

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2014, 07:37:11 PM
http://youtu.be/kv6ycmOWnq0

Great job

Thanks! Had shooting pains in bed last night and felt a few today. Have a 14 miler tomorrow so a wee bit worried. Never had shin splints before but have been told they're a nightmare!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

I read somewhere that shin splints can be a sign of over training?
I've a 7 mile pace run in the morning and then a 14mile slow run on Sunday. Will be in to Week 8 then. Feck this Marathon is getting close!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mayo4Sam

Those did the job for me almost immediately
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

magpie seanie

Did the loop (7+ miles of the 9+ mile route) again for what I reckon will be my last time before the race. Will do a good long one next weekend and bar that a few shorter ones to keep the engine ticking over. My last two miles were my quickest again which is what I'm aiming for all along. Was quite warm but was well hydrated and it went well. The fitness is good, I think I'll be ok. I'm going to do the last mile up to the summit and back down some evening(s) just to get a handle on the descent. Going up that last mile will be pretty much walking. Controlling the descent without tiring out the leg muscles for the last 4 miles is the plan for coming down. 2 weeks tomorrow. Nervous, but can't wait.

CD

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2014, 10:56:55 PM
Those did the job for me almost immediately

Thanks again for that tip. Stretched the calf muscles repeatedly yesterday evening and again this morning. It really seems to help.

I managed to run just under 15 miles today. Ran 5.5miles to queens where I met a friend - we ran 6 miles+ together over trails and paths and then finished with our parkrun. Felt really comfortable all morning - I'm into completely unknown territory now - every big run I do is officially the furthest I have ever gone. If someone had said to me 6 months ago that I'd be running 15 miles beofore 10am on a Saturday morning!

Finished off there with freezing bath dips for 90 seconds then 60secs hot shower X 5. Hope it does the trick and keeps the muscles happy but feel great at the moment!

leaveherinsir

Gettin back into it after a near 2 year lay off.Bad back hampered me,then general laziness didnt help. Ran my first ever Park run on Portrush beach this morning. Beautiful morning at a stunning location. Nearly 200 done it in all shape, sizes and ages. Enjoyed it and finished in a very modest 27 mins.

CD

Quote from: leaveherinsir on August 09, 2014, 04:07:30 PM
Gettin back into it after a near 2 year lay off.Bad back hampered me,then general laziness didnt help. Ran my first ever Park run on Portrush beach this morning. Beautiful morning at a stunning location. Nearly 200 done it in all shape, sizes and ages. Enjoyed it and finished in a very modest 27 mins.

Great running Sir! I've heard it's a lovely run - great time on sand.

Atticus_Finch

Looking for a wee bit of advice please folks.

Planning on doing the Dublin Half Marathon.  It's the same weekend as All Ireland final weekend so figure it would be worthwhile doing and would try get to the Kilmacud 7s that day as well.

Wouldn't be much of a runner at all, done a couple of marathon relays over the years but that's about it.

Would anyone know of good running routes around Belfast that they'd reccommend as good preparation for a half marathon ?

So far i've just been hitting google maps and measuring up routes but if there's any good ones that people have experience of would be grateful to hear about them.

Thanks
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

laoislad

Doing it myself Atticus. The half Marathon will be in the Phoenix Park and will include some nice hills so I suppose you should practice a bit of hill running!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thewobbler

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on August 11, 2014, 10:49:11 AM
Looking for a wee bit of advice please folks.

Planning on doing the Dublin Half Marathon.  It's the same weekend as All Ireland final weekend so figure it would be worthwhile doing and would try get to the Kilmacud 7s that day as well.

Wouldn't be much of a runner at all, done a couple of marathon relays over the years but that's about it.

Would anyone know of good running routes around Belfast that they'd reccommend as good preparation for a half marathon ?

So far i've just been hitting google maps and measuring up routes but if there's any good ones that people have experience of would be grateful to hear about them.

Thanks

I was experimenting with routes around South Belfast recently, and found there's plenty of options.

Park your car somewhere around Cutters Wharf.

From Stranmillis roundabout, head to Malone Road (about 1k), take a left and then another left onto Newforge Road (1k), running down to Newforge (1.5k). Head onto the Lagan towpath and follow it into Stranmillis (3k), at Stanmillis, follow Annadale embankment. Cross Ormeau Road into Ormeau Park (2k) and run the length of it (1.5k). Take a left onto Ormeau embankment, cross Ormeau Road (1.5k) onto Stranmillis Embankment and head for your car (1.5k).

That gets you about 13k on a nice loop, with the only traffic congestion (apart from rush hours) being the first couple of km (which is also the only hills). Apart from that you've got almost 5k of park running, and the only crossroads of any pain is the Ormeau junction.

The nice thing about this route is if you're bucked, you can finish it at 6.5k (end of towpath), or make it a 10k by leaving out the Ormeau Park loop part of it.

You can extend it by adding in a couple of km of trails within Lagan Valley Park, or by taking a right out or Ormeau Park, going up Ravenhill, across the Albertbridge, then jumping on the Lagan Embankment, which takes you along the river until the Ormeau Road/Stranmillis Embankment junction, adding about 3k. Not a kick in the arse of a half marathon once you start tacking on like that.

thewobbler

Also, if it's hills your after, head onto the trails in Lagan Valley Park between Stranmillis and Newforge and do a loop or two. All good running trails in terms of terrain, and undulating would be a kind word.

I found them by accident (and won't be back).

Atticus_Finch

Cheers Wobbler !

Good man Laois lad,  will try factor in a few hills in the training. 
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

imtommygunn

Belvoir forest is as good as anywhere.... The gate into it is opposite the lockkeepers and there's a wee bridge over it.You get peace and quiet and some good downhills. You can also get into it over a footbridge just off the towpath between cutters wharf and the lockkeepers.

Is that lagan meadows you're talking about wobbler? It's the other side to belvoir with a good few paths of the towpath that take you into it. If you're running up the towpath the most obvious path is the one with the steps on it.  There's a good mile and a half in there with a good few hills too.

thewobbler

imtommygunn, yeah I'd think it is Lagan Meadows I'm referring to, though I do get confused by the jurisdictions along the Lagan towpath. Atticus, if you want to get more into hills, from Stranmillis Roundabout run up Richmond Park and at the end of that road, enter Lagan Meadows on your left. This takes you onto the aforementioned trails, and from then just keep turning right when you've a decision to make. Eventually you will end up on the towpath, and you'll be relieved for seeing it.