Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I went out for a run this morning, first time in the guts of a year as the weight is pushing relentlessly towards 16st  :( It was less than two miles and I am absolutely busted. I was a regular enough runner since I quit hurling about 5yrs ago. Nothing competitive or anything, couple of times a week, just to regulate the weight as I sit on my arse all day at work.

Will see how it goes !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

You're not alone, a lot of us were in the same boat before we got going with this lark. Well done on making the start, keep her lit.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 03, 2014, 11:48:09 AM
You're not alone, a lot of us were in the same boat before we got going with this lark. Well done on making the start, keep her lit.

Cheers, from reading the thread over the last while it seems a lot have took it up for the same reasons, quit playing, work, kids = a gut !

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on August 03, 2014, 11:45:09 AM
I went out for a run this morning, first time in the guts of a year as the weight is pushing relentlessly towards 16st  :( It was less than two miles and I am absolutely busted. I was a regular enough runner since I quit hurling about 5yrs ago. Nothing competitive or anything, couple of times a week, just to regulate the weight as I sit on my arse all day at work.

Will see how it goes !

Stay out of the Kennedy centre at Lunchtime ya fat bastid  ;)  In fairness that's some feed lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2014, 12:26:22 PM

Will see how it goes !

Stay out of the Kennedy centre at Lunchtime ya fat bastid  ;)  In fairness that's some feed lol

You weren't fckn eating lettuce yourself I would say !

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on August 03, 2014, 12:31:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2014, 12:26:22 PM

Will see how it goes !

You weren't fckn eating lettuce yourself I would say !

Had the Chinese special!! Was heading to my mums with a sandwich all good stuff and they said they were at Kennedy centre, so feck it, I'd a tinge of guilt as I wolfed it down me he he, did I feck. Should have given you a shout for the over 35 hurling game we had yesterday, was a bitta craic
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

I'm training for my first half marathon at the end of August (less than 4 weeks now!!!)

How do you know what time to aim for? I went out for a run yesterday and tried to keep 5'45" pace up to see if I could keep that going - managed 15.5km and had to stop cos I was getting some severe, how to put this,  chafing issues. I was already starting to drop off the pace so I don't know if I should re-address my ambition.
I would have been registering about 167-170bpm for the first 10km or so, but that steadily rose to mid 170s which would be my theoretical 90% range.

Factors contributing to yesterday's run:
Did boot camp previous day so my quads were a bit sore / weary
Didn't have enough water on board earlier in the day, as I hadnt planned on going for a run
It was the first warm day in ages - about 20 deg, and I've only been running in the evenings for the last 3 months

Also, does anyone have any tips for dealing with runners chafe? I looked online and Bodyglide seems to be recommended - will this rub/sweat off?
Should I be wearing some sort of running undershorts??
Hasta la victoria siempre

CD

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on August 04, 2014, 04:55:26 AM
I'm training for my first half marathon at the end of August (less than 4 weeks now!!!)

How do you know what time to aim for? I went out for a run yesterday and tried to keep 5'45" pace up to see if I could keep that going - managed 15.5km and had to stop cos I was getting some severe, how to put this,  chafing issues. I was already starting to drop off the pace so I don't know if I should re-address my ambition.
I would have been registering about 167-170bpm for the first 10km or so, but that steadily rose to mid 170s which would be my theoretical 90% range.

Didn't have enough water on board earlier in the day, as I hadnt planned on going for a run
It was the first warm day in ages - about 20 deg, and I've only been running in the evenings for the last 3 months

Also, does anyone have any tips for dealing with runners chafe? I looked online and Bodyglide seems to be recommended - will this rub/sweat off?

I always use vaseline if I'm going 8 miles or more. Under the arms, particulars, between my toes and any other nooks and crannies. Works for me.
I often get hydration all wrong as well - I prefer running early in the morning and have a pint of water before I go. If I'm going 10 miles+ I loop somewhere so I can leave water and return to it
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: CD on August 04, 2014, 08:51:13 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on August 04, 2014, 04:55:26 AM

I always use vaseline if I'm going 8 miles or more. Under the arms, particulars, between my toes and any other nooks and crannies. Works for me.
I often get hydration all wrong as well - I prefer running early in the morning and have a pint of water before I go. If I'm going 10 miles+ I loop somewhere so I can leave water and return to it

Cheers
Hasta la victoria siempre

Milltown Row2

Hamstring went last night while playing for club!! Only a full tri to do on Saturday ffs!! Been using the roller and stretching like mad. 10K around Kilbroney forrest park to worry about  :( :(

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2014, 09:42:53 AM
Hamstring went last night while playing for club!! Only a full tri to do on Saturday ffs!! Been using the roller and stretching like mad. 10K around Kilbroney forrest park to worry about  :( :(

That's my big fear. In the middle of junior championship at the moment and tight for numbers so feel I'd be letting lads down if I pulled out to mind myself for a race. As it happens I'm away the next two weekends and then it's the race so conscience clear!

CD

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 05, 2014, 12:28:55 PM

That's my big fear. In the middle of junior championship at the moment and tight for numbers so feel I'd be letting lads down if I pulled out to mind myself for a race. As it happens I'm away the next two weekends and then it's the race so conscience clear!

I'm almost glad I've retired! Watch that hamstring MR! The old hernia could go at your age ;)
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Owenmoresider

Very tight I'd say, if our boys could do a number on ye like they did on Friday  8)

Milltown Row2

That's grand, few factors involved with mine, played tournament Saturday and on wet pitch, refereed championship game on the Sunday and played again last night, well stretch (or so I thought) but the heavy grounds on Sat and Sun must have played a part, though on Monday night the pitch was hard!!  Just need to not worry about times and shuffle round the run  >:( >:( 

Won't be racing till Sept so after Saturday I can relax (though I've a lot of refereeing in between!!)

Maybe last year playing me feels, getting hand niggles and groin injuries from twisting and turning, not worth it now I'd say

An Gaeilgoir

I have decided to bite the bullet and give Dublin a go, something else to strike off the bucket list...does anyone have a 12 week plan.. i have 4 half marathons under my belt this year and can do a half comfortably enough....Thanks.