Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on July 28, 2014, 04:18:26 PM
I took this BBC quiz on sports: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28062001

It seems I am most suited to Hockey, Badminton and Table Tennis.

And least suited to Athletics (Long-distance), Athletics (sprint) and Triathlon.

Great.  :-\

Rugby sevens lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mayo4Sam

Hah, less suited to athletics long distance, cycling long distance and triathlons
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 28, 2014, 04:31:57 PM
Hah, less suited to athletics long distance, cycling long distance and triathlons

I'm wrong size totally for triathlons, I'm light on my feet so short distances are perfect!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Hockey, Rugby Sevens and Squash are my supposed matches.

"Less suited" to Shooting, Athletics (long distance), Lawn Bowls.

Gutted about the lawn bowls....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 28, 2014, 04:44:58 PM
Hockey, Rugby Sevens and Squash are my supposed matches.

"Less suited" to Shooting, Athletics (long distance), Lawn Bowls.

Gutted about the lawn bowls....

That was mine Rhino :o

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

laoislad

f**king hell that foam rolling hurts!
I followed a YouTube video and had the wife make sure I looked like I was doing it right!
The calf muscles or soleus and gastrocnemius (I had to look up what the proper names were!!)hurt the most especially on the left leg.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Folk (guys!) using the chest strap.....how shall I put this.....can hair be an issue? My readings were all screwy this evening and I'm beginning to think that the hairy chest is not helping matters. I registered 198 while crawling along at 12 minute mile pace which means something is wrong with the readings or I'm taking my life in my hands every time I get up off my arse.

That said, I ran for 1hr 18 mins on Saturday and it seemed pretty on the money. I planned to stay around 165/170 for first half and then finish strong which happened perfectly.

Only other thing is I have quite a bruise on my chest foolowing the football match on Sunday but I don't know how that could interfere with things.

laoislad

Doesn't happen with me magpie and I have a hairy chest also!
I did buy a Polar heart rate strap to suit my GPS watch so I don't use the Aldi one anymore.
On another note I recorded a max heart rate of 203 doing the park run on Saturday so its way off the formula calculations of 188.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Gaeilgoir

Instead of doing Dublin this year, i am planning to give sea to summit a go in Westport in November, just wondering if anyone on here has done it or knows anything about it, Also, our local 10k is on Saturday at 12 in Tourmakeady, if anyone wants to come along, the race is chipped timed and there is a technical t-shirt too, plenty of tea and sandwiches after!!

Mayo4Sam

The galway races will interfere with my training this week

Did 16 miles on saturday, really struggled for most of it.
Had done 15 the previous week at a slower pace (8.32/mile) and found it easy. Ramped up the pace to 8.00/mile and the tongue was hanging out. Everything was sore from the start
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

CD

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 29, 2014, 09:52:54 AM
The galway races will interfere with my training this week

Did 16 miles on saturday, really struggled for most of it.
Had done 15 the previous week at a slower pace (8.32/mile) and found it easy. Ramped up the pace to 8.00/mile and the tongue was hanging out. Everything was sore from the start

I've been running about 7.40 min miles but am only at 13 mile mark so I know I need to take it much slower. It's amazing how some weeks you go out and everything is great and the next week you die! My hardest run last week was a 3 mile on Thursday - struggled every step. Found the 13 on Saturday comparatively easy although I did run out of energy in the last mile or so.

Had an MRI yesterday on a dodgy knee! Results will determine whether or not I do Dublin this year! Fingers crossed
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Rois

Well I got back on the running horse last night after more than a month of doing nothing (I did get married so that's my excuse  8) ), and the 5k I ran was so slow and such hard work.  I am always amazed how quickly I can lose it.  I was about 3.5mins off my parkrun PB over 5k which is awful! 

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rois on July 29, 2014, 10:50:57 AM
Well I got back on the running horse last night after more than a month of doing nothing (I did get married so that's my excuse  8) ), and the 5k I ran was so slow and such hard work.  I am always amazed how quickly I can lose it.  I was about 3.5mins off my parkrun PB over 5k which is awful!

I'll say it to you because it was said to me 4-5 weeks ago and it's true - you're right about how quickly you lose it but it is equally amazing how quickly it comes back if you stick with it. In a couple of weeks you'll be buzzing again.

Congrats on the wedding.

Just Puck It

Do any of you use insoles when running? Having to visit the physio more and more often with problems with my ankles and calves and she has said it's time to do something preventative rather than trying to fix the problems after they arise. She says I'm an over pronator (feet land on the ground outside first) and that I've really high arches so need to go for a proper gait analysis. Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this and what sort of money could I expect to spend?