Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Another on a similar theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXN-kQZ04M

Man on a Mission - Br O'Connell and the rise of Kenyan Athletics

Mayo4Sam

So in the base training element of the marathon training, 16 miles this weekend.

Plan will start from the start of August, apparently "that means you'll be able to start with 18 miles"!
She has spoken about saturday sessions in the park of 22 miles but split up, at different paces.

Sounds exciting if a little daunting
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

CD

Good luck with that! I've been given the all clear from Mrs CD to do the Dublin Marathon. Going to delay registration until I'm sure the body is up to the longer runs. Have a 13 mile under the belt last weekend and have a 12 miler this w'end. Just back from an extremely hot 6 miles there. That is some morning to be able to go for a run!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

So went for a nice 4 mile run tonight all along by the canal.Sun was shining and it was a lovely evening for a run.
In the middle of the run I passed this aul fella sitting on a bench skulling cans of cider,as I passed him he looks up and offers me one of his cans...Wouldn't have minded one to be fair but I declined.!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Had a good one this afternoon. Did the mountain loop which is approx 12k of the 15k Warriors Run route, all but the last mile to the top and back to the main road. Had done this in late May before the wheels came off but was a bit nervous heading into it today as last weeks long run in Dublin was not good. Took it out even slower than before (keeping heart rate in the 160's at most) and felt really strong at the end. Even the really bad hills felt not as bad and that's with me doing no specific hill training. Last couple of miles were my quickest and I took 2 minutes off the May time (and I ran my 10k pb a week after that). Massive confidence booster 4 weeks out. The Muppet plan is working it seems!

Bingo

The Blayney rockets AC had their first race yesterday which was the 10miler and have to say it was massive success. Feedback was brilliant after from all runners and all Sao that their regret was that more of their own club runners had done it!

It ticked all the boxes - great course, loads of marshalls, goodie bag, finishers medal, stadium finish, bagpipes at mile 7 etc.

Great buzz after it and a few pints as well!

Personally finished in 1.09.09, so delighted with that.

imtommygunn

CD I eat a bowl of porridge and have a pint of water before I go out. (In the previous hour). Some can't handle the food that close to before they run though but see what works for you. You shouldn't need to eat in a 12 or 13 but if energy levels struggle consider a gel.

ML itb is quite common. Check out foam rolling videos online.

If you boys are pushing the body a lot more than you used to I would recommend a sports massage every so often to loosen you up. Also look at stretching key muscle groups post runs- I.e. Calves, hamstrings, quads , glutes and maybe lower back. Even 5ish minutes would help a lot.

I have royally screwed my calf up and now will struggle with a race I've booked end of August. Coming down a hill, slow enough too, on my long run the other week and something went pop  :-\ Oh well.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 26, 2014, 10:39:48 PM
Had a good one this afternoon. Did the mountain loop which is approx 12k of the 15k Warriors Run route, all but the last mile to the top and back to the main road. Had done this in late May before the wheels came off but was a bit nervous heading into it today as last weeks long run in Dublin was not good. Took it out even slower than before (keeping heart rate in the 160's at most) and felt really strong at the end. Even the really bad hills felt not as bad and that's with me doing no specific hill training. Last couple of miles were my quickest and I took 2 minutes off the May time (and I ran my 10k pb a week after that). Massive confidence booster 4 weeks out. The Muppet plan is working it seems!

That Warrior Run looks savage but great to hear you are going well. I suggest, when you finish it, you tell everyone you were on 'The Muppet Plan' and let us know what the reaction is.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on July 27, 2014, 06:24:40 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 26, 2014, 10:39:48 PM

That Warrior Run looks savage but great to hear you are going well. I suggest, when you finish it, you tell everyone you were on 'The Muppet Plan' and let us know what the reaction is.

Those that know me wouldn't bat an eyelid! It would be just put down to "that's Seánie"!

Instead of "bainisteoiring" the club juniors in our first championship match and doing a nice recovery run later I played full forward for the hour. Expecting to be crippled tomorrow, especially the upper body. We've a young enough, naive bunch and someone has to do a bit of mullocking!!!! For the record didn't score but set up a few and got the better of my opponent. Playing football when relatively fit is great even though we lost 1-8 to 4-5.

CD

Garmin Watch

Lads  - I've been thinking of buying myself a GPS watch to help with running/pacing and performance. I've been reading reviews online that are remarkable contradictory. Some say the Garmin is the bees knees but there are loads of issues regarding the time taken to find satellites, the reliability over the first couple of miles and steaming/fogging up due to poor waterproofing. Have any of you had issues? Any recommendations? At around £100+ I want to make sure I spend wisely!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

thewobbler

Quote from: CD on July 28, 2014, 03:03:57 PM
Garmin Watch

Lads  - I've been thinking of buying myself a GPS watch to help with running/pacing and performance. I've been reading reviews online that are remarkable contradictory. Some say the Garmin is the bees knees but there are loads of issues regarding the time taken to find satellites, the reliability over the first couple of miles and steaming/fogging up due to poor waterproofing. Have any of you had issues? Any recommendations? At around £100+ I want to make sure I spend wisely!

Each to their own, but I can't work out why anyone would pay for a watch when they can put Nike+ on their Smartphone, and listen to a music playlist while they run. Nike+ will call out your time and pace every 250m if you want it, and then bops all your stats and maps into one place once you're done. Plus, you can put your treadmill work through it too, once it works out your normal running pace.

Milltown Row2

ive the garmin 110 and its grand. no issuses with it at all. Yes it may take five minutes to find satilliltes but that gives you five minutes to stretch. never lost coverage yet. never foggy either. you have to charge it though so do that the night before. its helped with my pace big time. Ive the heart rate monitor with it also.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on July 28, 2014, 03:13:53 PM
Quote from: CD on July 28, 2014, 03:03:57 PM
Garmin Watch

Each to their own, but I can't work out why anyone would pay for a watch when they can put Nike+ on their Smartphone, and listen to a music playlist while they run. Nike+ will call out your time and pace every 250m if you want it, and then bops all your stats and maps into one place once you're done. Plus, you can put your treadmill work through it too, once it works out your normal running pace.

My iPhone 5 will barely last an hour (battery) and that is with music off and not using the wifi earphones.

I have a garmin watch that occasionally fogs a bit but not enough to block the readings. Also it seems a bit pessimistic about distance and times versus the iPhone app. The 2 official races I have done suggest the iPhone was on the money.

Had a poor month overall though. Since a race early in the month I haven't done much. I need to enter a race to motivate myself it seems.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

I took this BBC quiz on sports: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28062001

It seems I am most suited to Hockey, Badminton and Table Tennis.

And least suited to Athletics (Long-distance), Athletics (sprint) and Triathlon.

Great.  :-\

MWWSI 2017