Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on July 16, 2014, 09:32:33 PM
Some interesting runs in the next 10 days.

25th July - Coolaney, Co Sligo 8k

https://www.activeglobal.com/Events/index.cfm?AC=EventDetails_V2&E=204066&HideFrame=1

26th July - As mentioned on this thread:

http://www.active.com/co-monaghan-ulster/running/distance-running-races/blayney-rockets-ac-10-mile-road-race-2014

26th July - Lough Arrow 8 mile

http://www.active.com/co-sligo-connacht/running/races/lough-arrow-8-mile-2014

26th July - Balla, Mayo 10k

http://www.active.com/co-mayo-connaught/running/distance-running-races/balla-10km-road-race-2014

Loads more on here: http://www.runireland.com/active/enter-online

Lough Arrow should be good and I've a half notion of doing it myself. Coolaney is quite close to me but the time doesn't really suit.

laoislad

Had a great 6 miles tonight. My average pace per mile was 30 seconds faster than Sunday but at the same or even a little lower heart rate. So it seems likes it's working! The book came in the post today so must give it a good read over the next few days.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 16, 2014, 10:30:34 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 16, 2014, 09:40:13 PM
I'm registered for the Fingal 10k Sunday but am away now so can't do it.

If it's transferable and anyone wants to take my spot you're welcome to it..

Heffo - I don't think it's transferrable but I could relieve you of your number/chip and do it. Of course if I break the world record it will go down in your name but that's a chance I'm willing to take!!!! Will get back to you when I know for sure it suits my plans for the weekend.

A1 Seanie - will pm you my number - not sure if you have it

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on July 16, 2014, 11:16:15 PM
Had a great 6 miles tonight. My average pace per mile was 30 seconds faster than Sunday but at the same or even a little lower heart rate. So it seems likes it's working! The book came in the post today so must give it a good read over the next few days.

Great, once you get confidence in it you can really improve. I'm not even sticking to any programme at the moment. Just lots of recovery runs and a hard one at least once a week. And I am enjoying it, last year I would have slapped myself for even thinking that.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on July 17, 2014, 11:50:09 AM
Quote from: laoislad on July 16, 2014, 11:16:15 PM

Great, once you get confidence in it you can really improve. I'm not even sticking to any programme at the moment. Just lots of recovery runs and a hard one at least once a week. And I am enjoying it, last year I would have slapped myself for even thinking that.

Same here. Went again at lunchtime today and it was really enjoyable. Caught myself day dreaming there wondering if I could work it to go for a run tonight....then remembered I had just been for a run. This is getting addictive.

Going to go with "The Muppet Plan" of 3-4 "recovery" runs and one hard run per week and see where it takes me. Looking forward to Swords on Sunday now Heffo has sorted me out. Would imagine from the map it's a flat enough course.

Bingo

I had planned on that 10k run in Swords but seen when it was fixed against the Ulster final it wasn't going to happy.

Best of luck to the lads doing it.

Plenty of happy people in here this weather, great to see  :)

Mayo4Sam

Heffo, if seanie cant do it, I'll take it off you.

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

heffo

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 17, 2014, 03:46:50 PM
Heffo, if seanie cant do it, I'll take it off you.

Seanie's been in touch and he's good to go but if he drops out for any reason it's yours

Mayo4Sam

Cheers Heffo

So I've signed up for the marathon and the half a few weeks beforehand.

Was talking to the coach yesterday, had been asking her for a plan for 3hrs and she reckons she prefers that I do a race to find out where I am, that'll determine my paces for the next five weeks and then do a retest to see how I've improved and then as I get closer, probably the half I should know what I'm going to do on the day.
She made the point that we'll say you start training for 3hrs, maybe it turns out you improve rapidly and are able for 2.50, you dont know it. Or likewise things dont go well and you're struggling to meet a programme thats too fast for you

So no goals for me yet!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 18, 2014, 12:12:40 PM
Cheers Heffo

So I've signed up for the marathon and the half a few weeks beforehand.

Was talking to the coach yesterday, had been asking her for a plan for 3hrs and she reckons she prefers that I do a race to find out where I am, that'll determine my paces for the next five weeks and then do a retest to see how I've improved and then as I get closer, probably the half I should know what I'm going to do on the day.
She made the point that we'll say you start training for 3hrs, maybe it turns out you improve rapidly and are able for 2.50, you dont know it. Or likewise things dont go well and you're struggling to meet a programme thats too fast for you

So no goals for me yet!

Have you broke 3h for a marathon before? It's a serious pace, I was thinking at the end of the last half marathon that doing that distance again at a decent pace would be crackers. I will train for one but would struggle to stick to a plan, love my set routine, ultimate goal would be an Ironman so would need to get a marathon of sorts done, friend heading over to Bolton to do the Ironman tomorrow!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mayo4Sam

Have I f**k, I did one two years ago in 3.52, now in fairness I didnt follow any programme and did only two runs above 15 miles, I was lucky to finish

It'll all be about discipling myself, I may have to cut the september celebrations down from four weeks to three or even two  ;D ;D

imtommygunn

For the past 3 years I've been training with marathon guys who are busting themselves to break 3 hours in Belfast. I have seen some spectacular sights I have to say in their attempts to do so. More fail than succeed - not an easy barrier to break but can be done with the right training!

Mayo4Sam

Just to clarify I think I'll go under 3.10, possibly under 3.05.

Maria reckons I can under 3, I don't believe her but by her programme I wont know until the end of September what I'll be doing

imtommygunn

Where a lot of people fall down is they don't train at the pace they will run a marathon at. They run 10ks, 5ks, tempos and halfs all quicker then when you run the marathon your body isn't used to the pace. Doesn't matter that it's slower.

Half is usually a good barometer a month in advance of what you'll do.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2014, 02:40:12 PM
Where a lot of people fall down is they don't train at the pace they will run a marathon at. They run 10ks, 5ks, tempos and halfs all quicker then when you run the marathon your body isn't used to the pace. Doesn't matter that it's slower.

Half is usually a good barometer a month in advance of what you'll do.

The occasion can help the novice finish it and can hinder the ones looking sets times I feel, friend of mine ran London, he's done Dublin and Belfast a couple of times, was looking to get to the 3hr mark, failed miserably ended on 3.40. He's been running years but thinks the occasion and pressure of getting a decent time played its part
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea