Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Brilliant stuff Muppet.

Had a nice 5k this morning with the heart rate well controlled. Actually had a job to get it up to the target zone at the start. It's beginning to pay dividends as I'm going quicker and keeping the HR in the zone. Looking forward to my "treat" of a full effort 10k at the weekend though.

This day last year I laced up my new Asics and went out, hoping to run for 5 minutes without stopping. My goal was to complete a 5k race. 12 months on I actually cannot believe the transformation in myself and the enjoyment I'm getting out of running. My only regret is that I didn't get into this 15 years earlier, though back then I had lots of pints to drink and bollix to act. It has been said before but this thread has been invaluable for advice and inspiration. Keep her lit all. 

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 16, 2014, 09:34:12 AM
Brilliant stuff Muppet.

Had a nice 5k this morning with the heart rate well controlled. Actually had a job to get it up to the target zone at the start. It's beginning to pay dividends as I'm going quicker and keeping the HR in the zone. Looking forward to my "treat" of a full effort 10k at the weekend though.

This day last year I laced up my new Asics and went out, hoping to run for 5 minutes without stopping. My goal was to complete a 5k race. 12 months on I actually cannot believe the transformation in myself and the enjoyment I'm getting out of running. My only regret is that I didn't get into this 15 years earlier, though back then I had lots of pints to drink and bollix to act. It has been said before but this thread has been invaluable for advice and inspiration. Keep her lit all.

Great stuff, despite running more often, it leaves you wanting even more.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on July 16, 2014, 09:49:01 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 16, 2014, 09:34:12 AM
Brilliant stuff Muppet.

Great stuff, despite running more often, it leaves you wanting even more.

It has been a great thread in fairness, to BM and Tommy who have been great with advice and Bingo Mayosam also for their exploits too. Don't know how long we'll continue to run but its been a great to ignite some interest after the playing career has gone, will never replace hurling on the field but what would??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

I can honestly say I wouldn't have kept running if I hadn't had this thread. Like magpie seanie I couldn't hardly run for 5 minutes this time last year and now I'm training for a bloody Marathon.! It's crazy when you think about it.
I also wish I started 15 years ago.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on July 16, 2014, 11:13:36 AM
I can honestly say I wouldn't have kept running if I hadn't had this thread. Like magpie seanie I couldn't hardly run for 5 minutes this time last year and now I'm training for a bloody Marathon.! It's crazy when you think about it.
Great stuff...mighty to see all round from everyone here. Unreal improvements by everyone...

Back on the horse myself after a 5 week lay off. Managed a 5 mile on Saturday and Sunday...blowing black smoke by the end of it  ;D...amazing how quickly you can lose fitness and how long it takes to get in shape then. Going to get a bit of a base in before start properly on August 5th. 12 weeks to DCM, foot to the floor then all going well.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on July 16, 2014, 11:13:36 AM

There is no way I would be running if it wasn't for this thread.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

It's something I wish I'd done years ago too in fairness. It's actually remarkable how much your body can do when you put your mind to it and train it right. I started at a 41:30 odd 10k and have 6 plus minutes of that. Never thought I could achieve sub 40 when I started then eventually I got that. You think to yourself I'll beat this goal and then I'll be happy. Foruntately / unfortunately it doesn't work like that (depending how you're wired) and you just work on the next goal!

Any advice I'm passing on is anything I've got. A guy in our club is fantastic with helping people out and helped me a lot. I started with no idea how to train. I'm also a geek so the heart rate numbers feed that too...

I'm really struggling this year with a few niggles. Had a week off last month and now a week off this month. Frustrating but I'll be back soon enough. When not running I cross train. I'd done my first proper hilly run of the year too  >:( Nothing too major though so will just perservere.

Milltown Row2

sea to sky run this Friday tommy. Intersted in those types of races?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Not this year but yeah that's meant to be a great race. I'd actually like to try a lot more trail racing than I've been doing. East antrim do a great series which is just over. Oddly despite going slower you get a sensation of going quick on the trail races.... Did one round stormont last year and really enjoyed it.

I wouldn't be expecting a PB if i were doing it...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2014, 12:27:57 PM
Not this year but yeah that's meant to be a great race. I'd actually like to try a lot more trail racing than I've been doing. East antrim do a great series which is just over. Oddly despite going slower you get a sensation of going quick on the trail races.... Did one round stormont last year and really enjoyed it.

Yep my mate at the gym is doing it this Friday and he's a tri on Sunday!

I've friends that run with East Antrim club, they have been flat out doing it, enjoying it by the looks of their faces on photos I've seen, good to mix it up a bit, Pb's would be different for different courses I'd imagine. Great trail course on our doorstep with Cavehill. Different type of shoes too (more expense!!) Wife is going bonkers with the stuff I'm looking to get, and I need a new bike also for the Tri's. Ah well......

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2014, 12:33:32 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2014, 12:27:57 PM

Yep my mate at the gym is doing it this Friday and he's a tri on Sunday!

I've friends that run with East Antrim club, they have been flat out doing it, enjoying it by the looks of their faces on photos I've seen, good to mix it up a bit, Pb's would be different for different courses I'd imagine. Great trail course on our doorstep with Cavehill. Different type of shoes too (more expense!!) Wife is going bonkers with the stuff I'm looking to get, and I need a new bike also for the Tri's. Ah well......

Running isn't so bad but put a bike plus gear into the mix and it gets dear. I'd still be sore by about monday if i were doing that friday night never mind racing sunday.

magpie seanie

I'm sure a few here are doing the Fingal 10k on Sunday. I'm up about those parts myself at the weekend and would love to do it but it appears you had to enter a few weeks back. Is there any way I could get into it?

Suppose there's always the option of rocking up and just joining in!

heffo

I'm registered for the Fingal 10k Sunday but am away now so can't do it.

If it's transferable and anyone wants to take my spot you're welcome to it..

magpie seanie

Quote from: heffo on July 16, 2014, 09:40:13 PM
I'm registered for the Fingal 10k Sunday but am away now so can't do it.

If it's transferable and anyone wants to take my spot you're welcome to it..

Heffo - I don't think it's transferrable but I could relieve you of your number/chip and do it. Of course if I break the world record it will go down in your name but that's a chance I'm willing to take!!!! Will get back to you when I know for sure it suits my plans for the weekend.