Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 14, 2014, 11:30:28 PM
Think I had a bit of a breakthrough this evening. Started off going lovely and controlling heart rate well for first mile. Things started going apeshit then when I started getting really high reading despite actually walking quite a bit. Second mile took over 14 mins. Was raging. Adjusted the strap and things just fell into place. Was running much quicker with heart rate under control, even up a hill at the end. Think I may have cracked it. Last 2k were great, about 11 min/mile pace. Feeling stronger. Fingers crossed.
I took muppet and imtommyguns advice and did my 70% run at 150bpm rather than 130 like I calculated.
It felt so much better and I covered 9 miles on Sunday and could have done more. I averaged 11'14 min per mile and only had to walk once or twice to get heart rate down.
Going to go out tonight to get my true max heart rate by doing a few all out sprints. I reckon though the 150bpm for 70% is pretty much spot on. I measured my resting beat at 56 bpm.
I've also read if you wet the heart rate strap first it helps with a more accurate reading.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: laoislad on July 15, 2014, 07:13:57 AM
Think I had a bit of a breakthrough this evening. Started off going lovely and controlling heart rate well for first mile. Things started going apeshit then when I started getting really high reading despite actually walking quite a bit. Second mile took over 14 mins. Was raging. Adjusted the strap and things just fell into place. Was running much quicker with heart rate under control, even up a hill at the end. Think I may have cracked it. Last 2k were great, about 11 min/mile pace. Feeling stronger. Fingers crossed.
I took muppet and imtommyguns advice and did my 70% run at 150bpm rather than 130 like I calculated.
It felt so much better and I covered 9 miles on Sunday and could have done more. I averaged 11'14 min per mile and only had to walk once or twice to get heart rate down.
Going to go out tonight to get my true max heart rate by doing a few all out sprints. I reckon though the 150bpm for 70% is pretty much spot on. I measured my resting beat at 56 bpm.
I've also read if you wet the heart rate strap first it helps with a more accurate reading.
How did you get your resting HR ll? In the book it says to take it first thing in the morning, as your HR rises through the day.

Take it first thing before you get out of bed, before you even sit up in bed.

I took mine and got it to be 46bpm. Did it a few times and averaged it, and it only  changed by 1or 2 each time I measured it
Hasta la victoria siempre

laoislad

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 15, 2014, 08:19:43 AM
Quote from: laoislad on July 15, 2014, 07:13:57 AM
How did you get your resting HR ll? In the book it says to take it first thing in the morning, as your HR rises through the day.

Take it first thing before you get out of bed, before you even sit up in bed.

I took mine and got it to be 46bpm. Did it a few times and averaged it, and it only  changed by 1or 2 each time I measured it

Just counted the pulse from my wrist for 15 seconds and multiplied by 4. Have done it a few times now and it's averaging around 56.

magpie seanie

I sat in the bed reading for a while last night and pulse went down to around 48. Left the strap on and I woke up after a few hours and it was at 48 so I reckon that's the resting heart rate. Takes my 70% zone down a tad but that's the story. I'll be interested in how you get your max LL and what it is. Guarantee it's higher than 220-your age.

imtommygunn

Not necessarily - my 70% is 151 and 80-85 is about 170...

Best to work these things out though and then you'll have it right for yourself.

Orior if you train structured then you can do what you like in a race which is the benefit...

imtommygunn

It's 196 or so.

imtommygunn

In the 40s yeah. It was 49 last I checked.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 15, 2014, 09:09:46 AM
I sat in the bed reading for a while last night and pulse went down to around 48. Left the strap on and I woke up after a few hours and it was at 48 so I reckon that's the resting heart rate. Takes my 70% zone down a tad but that's the story. I'll be interested in how you get your max LL and what it is. Guarantee it's higher than 220-your age.

You would never believe your resting heart rate would be that low until you read it yourself.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2014, 12:01:33 PM

You would never believe your resting heart rate would be that low until you read it yourself.
I'm just wondering what wearing a strap on in bed has got to do with heart rate training.!!

Bingo

Lot of talk on the HR stuff, seems all very confusing to me! I'd say the only way to find it is getting the full test done and everything else is only a guide. I'd be happy enough where I am now that can judge me runs on pace and feel etc.

Two good run outs at the weekend. The local festival was on and they always host a triathlon as part of it. Was another good event, ran the 5km run part in a relay team and we won the relay category. Ran a good 5km in a time of 17.22 but it was short of 5KM by 300m or so. Ran it last year in 17.50, so happy with the progress.

Did the Sunday morning long run with the club and did about 11miles, was good run out.

Two weeks to the local 10miler road race, looking forward to it now.

imtommygunn

That 10 miler is supposed to be a great event Bingo - a few in the club going to it I think.

The heart rate stuff will die down I think. Once you start it you never really think about it too much.

laoislad

Went out tonight to try and get my max heart rate.
Ran 3 x 100mts going faster each time. 1st 100 was 186bpm 2nd was 190 and I maxed out at 193 on the 3rd. I collapsed in a heap on the last run as I pushed myself as fast as I could go. Pretty sure that's my max heart rate as I couldn't run any faster.
Will take resting heart rate again in the morning just to be sure and I'm going to stick to those figures for the formula.

muppet

My phone says I did 10k in 49:55 tonight.

I don't believe it though.

I need a race somewhere.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2014, 10:36:47 PM

I need a race somewhere.

Won't be too far away, flying
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2014, 10:36:47 PM

I need a race somewhere.

Fair play, that's a great time.
Hasta la victoria siempre