Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

To do the heart rate training 100% by the book you should do a max hr test as everyone differs. Age a good barometer so decent guideline bt not 100% accurate... Could be right muppet.

laoislad

I used this formula 205 - (.5 x age ) found on runnersworld.com

.5 x 35 = 17.5

205 - 17.5 = 187.5

70% of that is 131 which is exactly what by bpm was at 70% according to my watch.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

220-38=182 is my max HR per formula (like muppet said, I believe my actual max is higher).

HR at rest 62.

182-62=120.

120*0.7=84

62+84=146.

So off I went and tried hard to keep HR down to 146. I would say I averaged 150-152 including walking parts and my 5 miles took 65 minutes. Felt like I just had a short walk after. Would expect I could have easily done another 5 miles if not more.

I got one or two funny readings off the HRM (registered 206 at one stage, when I was walking!!!!).

I will stick with it for a couple of weeks and see. What should be my next move? Usually run every second day.

muppet

LL you need to calculate your heart range - minimum & maximum heart rates

For example Seanie's is 62 - 182.

Think of 62 as 0% and 182 as 100% for the purposes of hr training.

So to run at 70% you work out (182 - 62)*.7 and then add the result to your minimum, just as Seanie worked out.

I would say your 130 is way too low. You will probably be closer to 150.

Seanie as far as I recall your were playing football up to very recently. I'd say your resting is actually lower than 62 - measure it when you wake up, before you get out of bed - and as you say your max is probably higher.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Ll you have your percentages wrong...

Take your resting and work it out as per muppet says. I'd be surprised if 70% is less than about 145 or so.

CD

Just managed my fastest official 10k of 43.55 in Belleek. My target for the year was under 45mins so beat that  at my 5th attempt. Absolutely delighted with myself - been on holidays and able to run regularly and felt (as usual) that there was more in the legs! Tonight will involve a chinese and a couple of bottles of coors light! Next step is a half marathon!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Bingo

Fair play CD, super stuff. You'll enjoy the half now, target well beat.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on July 13, 2014, 01:24:53 PM
Just managed my fastest official 10k of 43.55 in Belleek. My target for the year was under 45mins so beat that  at my 5th attempt. Absolutely delighted with myself - been on holidays and able to run regularly and felt (as usual) that there was more in the legs! Tonight will involve a chinese and a couple of bottles of coors light! Next step is a half marathon!

Great stuff CD half marathon next and on that time you should be 1.40 1.45 target. very similar to my times.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Did my first Parkrun on Saturday, which was also my first timed run since I started properly training on 24th June.

Haven't done any speed training yet, just HRM training at 70% so I didnt even know what time to aim for. Had intended to run the first few kms at 80% (~161bpm) and then kick on depending on how I felt.

We had boot camp at 7am followed by the run
As it happens, I got a bit caught up in the panic at the start and started off running faster than I intended. Ended up running the majority of the race between 168-172 which would be around 85% HR.
Was pretty wrecked at the end but managed to finish in an official time of 26:37

Absolutely delighted with that, even though my own GPS watch said 26:57, so my parkrun PB may take a while to fall.

Havent managed to upload my run on the screen where I can see if I finished faster or slower than I started - will see then if I should have taken it easier.

Will be interesting to see my HR at the end too - there is a short steep hill to the finish line
Hasta la victoria siempre

Mayo4Sam

Deeler good going, I'd ditch the HRM for the races or at least dont be looking at your watch. After the first couple of parkruns you'll have an idea of the level of effort you can hold for 5k and you'll try and push that rather than being a slave to the numbers.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 14, 2014, 01:04:26 AM
Did my first Parkrun on Saturday, which was also my first timed run since I started properly training on 24th June.

Haven't done any speed training yet, just HRM training at 70% so I didnt even know what time to aim for. Had intended to run the first few kms at 80% (~161bpm) and then kick on depending on how I felt.

As it happens, I got a bit caught up in the panic at the start and started off running faster than I intended. Ended up running the majority of the race between 168-172 which would be around 85% HR.
Was pretty wrecked at the end but managed to finish in an official time of 26:37

Absolutely delighted with that, even though my own GPS watch said 26:57, so my parkrun PB may take a while to fall.

Havent managed to upload my run on the screen where I can see if I finished faster or slower than I started - will see then if I should have taken it easier.

Will be interesting to see my HR at the end too - there is a short steep hill to the finish line

Good man, well done. The GPS can be affected by powerlines, tall buildings (I presume this wasn't a problem on a park run) and trees so I would stick with the official time. Train easy, race hard seems to do the trick, although it should be train easy - often, race hard.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Quote from: muppet on July 14, 2014, 02:46:44 PM

Good man, well done. The GPS can be affected by powerlines, tall buildings (I presume this wasn't a problem on a park run) and trees so I would stick with the official time. Train easy, race hard seems to do the trick, although it should be train easy - often, race hard.

I dunno. When I was running, I never had nuffin. It was just flat out/steady pace/finding someone to tail, then concentrate on stride, gait, keeping the arms relaxed, and breathing. Then enjoy the scenery. Can too much information put you off?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: Orior on July 14, 2014, 05:11:44 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 14, 2014, 02:46:44 PM

I dunno. When I was running, I never had nuffin. It was just flat out/steady pace/finding someone to tail, then concentrate on stride, gait, keeping the arms relaxed, and breathing. Then enjoy the scenery. Can too much information put you off?

We are the couch potatoes, thoroughbreds have different requirements.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Think I had a bit of a breakthrough this evening. Started off going lovely and controlling heart rate well for first mile. Things started going apeshit then when I started getting really high reading despite actually walking quite a bit. Second mile took over 14 mins. Was raging. Adjusted the strap and things just fell into place. Was running much quicker with heart rate under control, even up a hill at the end. Think I may have cracked it. Last 2k were great, about 11 min/mile pace. Feeling stronger. Fingers crossed.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 14, 2014, 11:47:45 AM
Deeler good going, I'd ditch the HRM for the races or at least dont be looking at your watch. After the first couple of parkruns you'll have an idea of the level of effort you can hold for 5k and you'll try and push that rather than being a slave to the numbers.

To be honest, I only did this run as a gauge to see how far the HRM training has brought me more than anything, that's why I was using the watch. Would agree with what you say - find a comfortable pace and stay it. This was out of interest more than anything.

I thought at the time that I went out too fast, a quick look at the watch data confirms that. My second and third kms were way slower than my first, with the fourth getting back to speed and the fifth finishing strongly, quicker than the first km.

Back to the 70% tonight after work (had boot camp yesterday). Have another 9 days of purely recovery runs before I start doing tempo & speed runs.

Really enjoying it atm!
Hasta la victoria siempre