Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2014, 02:33:37 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 05, 2014, 08:48:54 AM
Best of luck Muppet. Lovely day for it.

Cheers.

I am still waiting for the chip times to be put up!

Not as well organised as the last one I ran, for example the start was chaotic, and they forgot to to turn the juniors around at their half-way point, but overall it was fun and there was a great atmosphere.

I timed myself roughly at around 40:03, so I am happy I ran well (for me), but if that time is accurate I will be mega-pissed off I missed breaking 40 mins.
Would still be a fantastic time though.
Did the rain hold off for you? I did 5 miles in the Phoenix Park this morning and the heavens opened just as I got back to the car.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: laoislad on July 05, 2014, 03:31:38 PM

Cheers.

Not as well organised as the last one I ran, for example the start was chaotic, and they forgot to to turn the juniors around at their half-way point, but overall it was fun and there was a great atmosphere.

I timed myself roughly at around 40:03, so I am happy I ran well (for me), but if that time is accurate I will be mega-pissed off I missed breaking 40 mins.
Did the rain hold off for you? I did 5 miles in the Phoenix Park this morning and the heavens opened just as I got back to the car.
What time was that? I was in the park this morning just made it back to the car before it lashed. There was a baldy lad who looked a bit like you running laps where I was walking with the kids.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 05, 2014, 05:10:30 PM

Cheers.

What time was that? I was in the park this morning just made it back to the car before it lashed. There was a baldy lad who looked a bit like you running laps where I was walking with the kids.
That's not very nice....
It was around 11 o'clock when I got back to the car. I was running around the pitches across the road from the Papal cross.
Some fine women in tight lycra out this morning also

Milltown Row2

I love being bald, less drag when running, better times and that's fact
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gerrykeegan

Quote from: laoislad on July 05, 2014, 05:15:45 PM

Cheers.

That's not very nice....
It was around 11 o'clock when I got back to the car. I was running around the pitches across the road from the Papal cross.

Small world. It was you so. You had a blue top on. There was indeed a lot of lycra around.

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 05, 2014, 05:28:03 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 05, 2014, 05:15:45 PM

Cheers.

That's not very nice....

Small world. It was you so. You had a blue top on. There was indeed a lot of lycra around.
Yeah I did indeed. How unfit did I look?
Were you kicking a football with kids on one of the pitches?

gerrykeegan

No my two were going around  the cycle track one on a bike one on a scooter.  You were flying tbh. There was a young one in front that you seemed to be using as a pacer.

muppet

Cheers.

Rain held off for me but my cousin and the others got a soaking a bit later on.

Chip time was under 40 mins. ;D

Vino time now.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Great running Muppet fair play!

Rois

Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2014, 06:01:14 PM

Vino time now.
Brilliant, enjoy the vino, hope it's something nice!

muppet

Quote from: Rois on July 05, 2014, 07:12:09 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2014, 06:01:14 PM

Vino time now.
Brilliant, enjoy the vino, hope it's something nice!

I pour you a glass Rois, but I'll have to drink it for you.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Had you much left in the tank at the end Muppet?
You'd have been under 50min for 10k if you kept going at that pace.
Had you any hills on the route?

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on July 05, 2014, 09:42:22 PM

It calls itself 'Ireland's flattest race' and it probably is. Zero hills. Nice run along the coast from Clontarf/East Point out to Bull Island and back.

As for the tank, last time I finished fast passing lots of people, this time a few lads passed me right at the end and I was passing no one. I got it much better this time and there was very little left. Therefore to do two more 5 min kilometres, to get to a 50 min 10k, is probably a bit off.

But today was 2 mins better than my best in training, there is nothing like an organised run to push you on. I will have to look for a 10k somewhere, pity I can't do the one Heffo mentioned above, as it is very close to me.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2014, 09:51:54 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 05, 2014, 09:42:22 PM

It calls itself 'Ireland's flattest race' and it probably is. Zero hills. Nice run along the coast from Clontarf/East Point out to Bull Island and back.

As for the tank, last time I finished fast passing lots of people, this time a few lads passed me right at the end and I was passing no one. I got it much better this time and there was very little left. Therefore to do two more 5 min kilometres, to get to a 50 min 10k, is probably a bit off.

But today was 2 mins better than my best in training, there is nothing like an organised run to push you on. I will have to look for a 10k somewhere, pity I can't do the one Heffo mentioned above, as it is very close to me.
Its part of the Dublin race series,I'm doing it myself. There will be a 10 mile next month then half marathon in September.
I'm sticking to the paces set out for me in my marathon training plan so I'm not going all out for PB's in training or any races.
I can feel myself getting stronger with all these long runs I'm doing (9 miles tomorrow) so I feel it will benefit me when I do go back to trying to best personal bests in the shorter races.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on July 05, 2014, 10:01:34 PM
Its part of the Dublin race series,I'm doing it myself. There will be a 10 mile next month then half marathon in September.
I'm sticking to the paces set out for me in my marathon training plan so I'm not going all out for PB's in training or any races.
I can feel myself getting stronger with all these long runs I'm doing (9 miles tomorrow) so I feel it will benefit me when I do go back to trying to best personal bests in the shorter races.

I am seriously thinking of the half marathon you mentioned. I have all but decided against going for the marathon this year. I will need to get some advice on my achilles. It is sore for the first km or so, then fine until about an hours running. Then it gets sore again with the pain spreading up the calf after, say, 90mins. I reckon I need to sort it before looking at a long run.

In the meantime the book Imtommygunn recommended has a mantra in it, train easy - race hard, and I am converted. I had given up all thoughts of a marathon (it was a goal when I was a teenager) but I could see a serious attempt at Dublin next year, or maybe somewhere else. But I need someone to tell me the achilles will stand up to it.

How is your training going? Obviously you will be training at marathon pace a lot of the time. Do you decide now what time to go for or later?
MWWSI 2017