Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Quote from: screenexile on June 25, 2014, 03:45:55 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 25, 2014, 03:24:02 PM
1hr 40mins for 12 miles and you've never run before!
I had b**tards like you...and I'm not even joking.

Well maybe just a little bit... ;)
Welcome to the running forum!

Fecking Coleraine men... likely did it in the surfing shorts and sandals as well!!

lol running up sand dunes is tough prep!!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Rois

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 25, 2014, 05:01:21 PM
Any recommendations on a watch or other cheap device to track distance?

On a sidenote, really enjoyed running along the Lagan towpath, never been down it before, scenic run!
That's mainly where Mr Rois did his Belfast marathon training, and I run on it regularly, though really only on the stretch between Lisburn and Lambeg, although I ran from Lambeg to Lady Dixon Park the other day on part of a run I was doing.  It's nice and quiet as well (apart from the roar of the M1 when you get near it). 
Himself has a basic Garmin watch that gives him pace for each mile.  Does the job without being overly fussy but the rechargeable battery is a bit crap.  Cost about £90 this time last year as far as I remember.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on June 25, 2014, 05:12:02 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 25, 2014, 05:01:21 PM
Any recommendations on a watch or other cheap device to track distance?

On a sidenote, really enjoyed running along the Lagan towpath, never been down it before, scenic run!
That's mainly where Mr Rois did his Belfast marathon training, and I run on it regularly, though really only on the stretch between Lisburn and Lambeg, although I ran from Lambeg to Lady Dixon Park the other day on part of a run I was doing.  It's nice and quiet as well (apart from the roar of the M1 when you get near it). 
Himself has a basic Garmin watch that gives him pace for each mile.  Does the job without being overly fussy but the rechargeable battery is a bit crap.  Cost about £90 this time last year as far as I remember.

What time at? lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: muppet on June 25, 2014, 11:45:49 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 25, 2014, 08:57:15 AM
Went out for my first recovery run last night after boot camp on Monday night.

My numbers are Max (based on 205-half age) = 190, resting = 46
Attempted to do a run at 70% (190-46)*0.7+46 = 147... didnt make it to the end of the driveway, so I gave myself an extra 5 and kept it around 152bpm.

Went out and did a painfully slow 10.6km which tool me an hour and 24mins. Had to stop a few times, mainly at the hint of an uphill section.

Question is, do I go out tonight and do a full training session - intervals etc? The book seems to indicate a full month of recovery runs, surely this isnt right? Or is the book merely showing me the first number of recovery runs to be slotted in between my normal training days?

Also, I don't generally run every day. If I do a hard session on a Monday, and nothing on the Tuesday, should I do a normal hard session on the Wednesday, or go back to a recovery run?

Your figures are very close to mine. As I'm sure you read in the book you probably found it very hard to stay under your recovery ceiling. I do at least one proper run a week to keep myself interested and to compare with other weeks. This can be a 5k, 5m/8k, 10k or further or whatever. Half the time I start intending to do one distance and end up doing something different because it feels right. But the times improved really quickly. The other advantage of following the methodology in the book is I can run 5/6 times a week now, the extra ones being recovery runs like you just did.

Give it a month and you will see the times improve, depending on how fit you already were. If you were as bad as I was it should be dramatic.

Cool, thought that was the case, but as you say it is hard to keep an interest if you are plodding around at that pace all the time. Will persist!

Plan on doing boot camp once a week, or one run at about 85% along with the recovery runs and will give it a month or so.
Hasta la victoria siempre

laoislad

Lovely evening for a run..... :-\ Got the 3 required miles done but I got soaked to the bone.

Busy day today!

Myself and laoislad jnr had to do a photo shoot with Sean Hehir last year's marathon winner(very nice fella) and comedian Alan Shortt.
Keep an eye on next weeks newspapers!
Have been asked to do a radio interview in the coming weeks as well on why I'm doing the marathon.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on June 26, 2014, 10:31:47 PM
Lovely evening for a run..... :-\ Got the 3 required miles done but I got soaked to the bone.

Busy day today!

Myself and laoislad jnr had to do a photo shoot with Sean Hehir last year's marathon winner(very nice fella) and comedian Alan Shortt.
Have been asked to do a radio interview in the coming weeks as well on why I'm doing the marathon.

Fair play. You very high profile now  ;D let us know if it in paper.

And don't give away any board secrets on the radio!

muppet

Busy day today!

Good man. Stardom beckons.

Do you have a fundraising page or site?
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Busy day today!

I heard you have a face for radio, so you'll be grand lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Busy day today!

Did you put any makeup on your head to prevent reflection from the flash?

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on June 26, 2014, 10:34:15 PM

Busy day today!

Nearly hope it doesn't make the paper,one set of photos involves a massage table  :-[
It will be on facebook for sure though.

muppet - nothing set up yet but i will have to look into getting something like that.

Tony - STFU

gerrykeegan

Quote from: laoislad on June 26, 2014, 11:29:37 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 26, 2014, 10:34:15 PM

Busy day today!

Nearly hope it doesn't make the paper,one set of photos involves a massage table  :-[
It will be on facebook for sure though.

muppet - nothing set up yet but i will have to look into getting something like that.

Tony - STFU

I used this lot in the past, its very easy, the shave or Dye people use it.

https://www.mycharity.ie/
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

thewobbler

Time to rejoin this thread.

I ran a half marathon at 1.41.15 in  May 2013, and a 10km in 45.30 a month later. Gently eased off last autumn, then stopped completely. Some 15kg later, I'm starting again.

I've done 50km since I started back 3 weeks ago.  While was never quick, it really doesn't take long losing pace. 7.5km in 40 mins at the weekend, nearly killed me.

New targets are a sub 50min 10k this summer, and a sub 44min 10k by Christmas.

laoislad

They could've been wasps I dunno. They all got a 9 iron to their skulls whatever they were.

Mayo4Sam

Signed up for the marathon and half marathon. Second attempt at both
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me