Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 25, 2014, 08:57:15 AM
Went out for my first recovery run last night after boot camp on Monday night.

My numbers are Max (based on 205-half age) = 190, resting = 46
Attempted to do a run at 70% (190-46)*0.7+46 = 147... didnt make it to the end of the driveway, so I gave myself an extra 5 and kept it around 152bpm.

Went out and did a painfully slow 10.6km which tool me an hour and 24mins. Had to stop a few times, mainly at the hint of an uphill section.

Question is, do I go out tonight and do a full training session - intervals etc? The book seems to indicate a full month of recovery runs, surely this isnt right? Or is the book merely showing me the first number of recovery runs to be slotted in between my normal training days?

Also, I don't generally run every day. If I do a hard session on a Monday, and nothing on the Tuesday, should I do a normal hard session on the Wednesday, or go back to a recovery run?

Your figures are very close to mine. As I'm sure you read in the book you probably found it very hard to stay under your recovery ceiling. I do at least one proper run a week to keep myself interested and to compare with other weeks. This can be a 5k, 5m/8k, 10k or further or whatever. Half the time I start intending to do one distance and end up doing something different because it feels right. But the times improved really quickly. The other advantage of following the methodology in the book is I can run 5/6 times a week now, the extra ones being recovery runs like you just did.

Give it a month and you will see the times improve, depending on how fit you already were. If you were as bad as I was it should be dramatic.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Thanks for the (conflicting  ;D ) advice guys..
I guess I'll just see how I am on Saturday. I suppose it won't really matter to much as it's only week 1.

Sounds like a nice run Bingo. Any time I get down home to Laois I try and do a run like that(over hills,trails, country roads) as it can get boring running around housing estates in Lucan  ::)
That's why I love going out to the Phoenix Park also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on June 25, 2014, 11:49:08 AM
Thanks for the (conflicting  ;D ) advice guys..
I guess I'll just see how I am on Saturday. I suppose it won't really matter to much as it's only week 1.

Sounds like a nice run Bingo. Any time I get down home to Laois I try and do a run like that(over hills,trails, country roads) as it can get boring running around housing estates in Lucan  ::)
That's why I love going out to the Phoenix Park also.

Exactly.

I actually didn't race at all last year when on my programme as regardless of my intentions I'd run it too hard and struggle for the next few weeks. But everyone does it different and I'd have a good group to run with and that will push you on.

imtommygunn

Perversely I find the most quiet runs you get are in the cities because they have invested in trails and paths whereas the country not so much so or else you've to pay to get into your local forst park.

LL just go for it and maybe rejig the 8 miler until monday if monday is a day off! (I vaguely remember monday was cross training??) I personally would find it very hard in a race situation where I'm not going as fast as I can. I've tried a few parkruns at a slow pace but I find the competitive head struggles with it.

magpie seanie

Finally (I hope) over my nagging cold/flu symptoms so got back in the saddle last night. Ran first mile too quickly, probably not well enough hydrated and ended up hitting the wall at about the 5k mark of my 7k route. The last 2k was awful, I nearly stopped. The layoff as well as the other factors contributed but fairly depressed at how stark the regression has been. My home 10k is on Saturday and 3 weeks ago I was looking to do it in 55 with the pacer but think I'll not run it now.

Muppet - when you do your "proper run" as you call it what would your heart rate be at? I'm a bit concerned that if the monitor I'm using is accurate that I could die on the road some night!

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2014, 12:57:52 PM
Finally (I hope) over my nagging cold/flu symptoms so got back in the saddle last night. Ran first mile too quickly, probably not well enough hydrated and ended up hitting the wall at about the 5k mark of my 7k route. The last 2k was awful, I nearly stopped. The layoff as well as the other factors contributed but fairly depressed at how stark the regression has been. My home 10k is on Saturday and 3 weeks ago I was looking to do it in 55 with the pacer but think I'll not run it now.

Muppet - when you do your "proper run" as you call it what would your heart rate be at? I'm a bit concerned that if the monitor I'm using is accurate that I could die on the road some night!

First half (of say a 10k) usually try to keep it around 167, second half no max, just run as fast as I feel I can go ensuring I can get to the end. But that is my own plan and isn't in the book. If I was brave enough I should probably have no max earlier in the run.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Seanie, its tough going in this weather if you not well prepared. You coming off back the flu, lack of running, the conditions and not hydrated will give you the experience you had.

Similar happened me on Saturday morning, only out twice during the week and knew I had little water in the system over the week. Started run fine on Saturday but after a few miles, I knew I was struggling, it was very warm. Struggled home with no energy. Went straight to a Go Games blitz for a few hours, then finished work round the house and  bbq at family house - all under the glare of the sun. All the time I took little water in. I was suffering badly and in bed by 10 that night, felt rotten. Next morning was like a thumping hangover. I made sure I drank and since then the same.

Ran last night and felt super again.

Tick the boxes and you'll be grand for your run. In the current weather, everyone is suffering and have to slow down a bit.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on June 25, 2014, 02:10:54 PM

Seanie, its tough going in this weather if you not well prepared. You coming off back the flu, lack of running, the conditions and not hydrated will give you the experience you had.

Similar happened me on Saturday morning, only out twice during the week and knew I had little water in the system over the week. Started run fine on Saturday but after a few miles, I knew I was struggling, it was very warm. Struggled home with no energy. Went straight to a Go Games blitz for a few hours, then finished work round the house and  bbq at family house - all under the glare of the sun. All the time I took little water in. I was suffering badly and in bed by 10 that night, felt rotten. Next morning was like a thumping hangover. I made sure I drank and since then the same.

Ran last night and felt super again.

Tick the boxes and you'll be grand for your run. In the current weather, everyone is suffering and have to slow down a bit.

Was hoping someone might say that. I'll do 4-5k tomorrow and see how that goes. The 10k on Sat is on a nice course around the area I'm from so I'd like to do it (provided I don't end up making a d1ck of myself).

whiskeysteve

Interesting to read this thread!

Took a complete notion into my head a few weeks ago and decided to enter the Dublin marathon. Other than doing a leg of the Belfast marathon 5 years ago I have no experience in distance running, all prior athletic experience has been that of a junior B hurler!

So ran 9 miles for the first time in me life last week and meant to run 10 miles last night using an app on the phone called Endomondo to let me know when I'd hit the 5 mile mark on the Lagan towpath - well lesson now learned as the GPS cut in and out and after sticking in the route on google maps today I see that it had me running 12 miles! The route on the app shows me doing fictional straight lines over water etc. No wonder i'm walking like John Wayne.

Also took a bloody wrong turn on the towpath that took me up into Belvoir park forest on an unintended hill run!

So I managed my accidental 12 miles in 1hr 40mins flat and i'm wondering how does stack up as a projection for any kind of a first marathon target? Have no feel for pacing etc as this is all new. Found a Bupa plan training schedule online and wondering if theirs is any good to follow?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

muppet

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 25, 2014, 03:18:07 PM

Took a complete notion into my head a few weeks ago and decided to enter the Dublin marathon. Other than doing a leg of the Belfast marathon 5 years ago I have no experience in distance running, all prior athletic experience has been that of a junior B hurler!

So ran 9 miles for the first time in me life last week and meant to run 10 miles last night using an app on the phone called Endomondo to let me know when I'd hit the 5 mile mark on the Lagan towpath - well lesson now learned as the GPS cut in and out and after sticking in the route on google maps today I see that it had me running 12 miles! The route on the app shows me doing fictional straight lines over water etc. No wonder i'm walking like John Wayne.

Also took a bloody wrong turn on the towpath that took me up into Belvoir park forest on an unintended hill run!

So I managed my accidental 12 miles in 1hr 40mins flat and i'm wondering how does stack up as a projection for any kind of a first marathon target? Have no feel for pacing etc as this is all new. Found a Bupa plan training schedule online and wondering if theirs is any good to follow?

If you read the thread you will know I am a novice, but I would think if you did 12 miles in 1hr 40mins you should be well able for a sub 4 hr marathon by October, if not quite a bit quicker.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 25, 2014, 03:18:07 PM

That's some standard of Junior B hurling you play in lol!! 1.40 and no ill effects? It's the next 6 miles I'm worried about(for me). But your grand and well on target to do a marathon
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: laoislad on June 25, 2014, 03:24:02 PM
1hr 40mins for 12 miles and you've never run before!
I had b**tards like you...and I'm not even joking.

Well maybe just a little bit... ;)
Welcome to the running forum!

Fecking Coleraine men... likely did it in the surfing shorts and sandals as well!!

Gonna get back to it from next week. Target is sub 20 for the park run (22.05pb) and sub 45min for a 10k (49.47pb) I have in September. Was really looking forward to getting stuck into some base work with the heart rate monitor but for some reason I've lost the strap that came with my Garmin 405 and anywhere I look it's charging me £35-40 to get a new one.

Anyone any idea where I can get another one from?

imtommygunn

The strap or the whole HRM??

http://www.globalgps.co.uk/item-16105-garmin-replacement-strap-hr?source=googleps&gclid=CI_H5dislb8CFULJtAodEzQApQ

It's about 30 odd quid for the heart rate monitor itself and no other HRM works with garmin...

screenexile

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 25, 2014, 04:34:18 PM
The strap or the whole HRM??

http://www.globalgps.co.uk/item-16105-garmin-replacement-strap-hr?source=googleps&gclid=CI_H5dislb8CFULJtAodEzQApQ

It's about 30 odd quid for the heart rate monitor itself and no other HRM works with garmin...

It's the strap just I have the wee plastic dooda for the middle of it but the strap you've linked above I don't think looks like it would work with it.

Here's the one I need:

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-premium-heart-rate-monitor-soft-strap-010-10997-02.html?gclid=CIqS0s6vlb8CFSvjwgodO1cA4Q

I'll try and tear the house down this weekend and see if I can find it. I'm going to start this programme on Monday.

whiskeysteve

plenty of ill effects milltown! hobbling around like Long John Silver today! Plan on doing nothing for a few days and starting back with a 3/4 miler (twice round Ormeau park) but really need to look into a proper training plan.

was happy enough to stick the mobile in an armband and use an app to track distance but with GPS unreliable + ear phones falling out repeatedly I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a proper watch to monitor progress?

Any recommendations on a watch or other cheap device to track distance?

On a sidenote, really enjoyed running along the Lagan towpath, never been down it before, scenic run!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w