Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: No1 on June 19, 2014, 02:04:48 PM
Friday 22nd August there will be an ultra organised, thoroughly professional, highly competitive, highly enjoyable 10k taking place amongst the most beautiful scenery in the world. I might not have mentioned the Strangford Festival 10k before! Great way to start the Bank Holiday Weekend! Go to niathletics.org and enter online. No more spam, I promise!

I see there is one in ballykinler next Sunday, you ever done it?

No1

I've never done Ballykinlar but I heard there was a horrible section last year that took in Tyrella beach. Don't know about you but running through sand wouldn't be for me!

charlieTully

Quote from: No1 on June 19, 2014, 03:47:11 PM
I've never done Ballykinlar but I heard there was a horrible section last year that took in Tyrella beach. Don't know about you but running through sand wouldn't be for me!

Hard enough on the road nevermind sand. Will give it a miss.

muppet

Sionnach relay 26/27th July - Sligo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv1-JZ569zM

Anyone know anything about this?

MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on June 20, 2014, 11:10:19 AM
Sionnach relay 26/27th July - Sligo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv1-JZ569zM

Anyone know anything about this?

Just that it seems mental! But could be great craic.

WT4E

As luck would have it I now have a football match on Friday night and I still intend to do the Irish Runner 5 mile on Saturday morning.

Will the game the night before have much effect on my performance/time do you think? Any advice on how to prepare?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: WT4E on June 24, 2014, 12:48:36 PM
As luck would have it I now have a football match on Friday night and I still intend to do the Irish Runner 5 mile on Saturday morning.

Will the game the night before have much effect on my performance/time do you think? Any advice on how to prepare?

Shouldn't really, as you are using different muscle groups, also small sprints. You maybe should have an ice bath straight after, all depends on the intensity of the game on Friday night. At least you should get a good nights rest after the game, don't think it will take too much off your intended target time.

Good stretch before and after game and we 1km warm up before tomorrows race, with interval stretches
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Went out for my first recovery run last night after boot camp on Monday night.

My numbers are Max (based on 205-half age) = 190, resting = 46
Attempted to do a run at 70% (190-46)*0.7+46 = 147... didnt make it to the end of the driveway, so I gave myself an extra 5 and kept it around 152bpm.

Went out and did a painfully slow 10.6km which tool me an hour and 24mins. Had to stop a few times, mainly at the hint of an uphill section.

Question is, do I go out tonight and do a full training session - intervals etc? The book seems to indicate a full month of recovery runs, surely this isnt right? Or is the book merely showing me the first number of recovery runs to be slotted in between my normal training days?

Also, I don't generally run every day. If I do a hard session on a Monday, and nothing on the Tuesday, should I do a normal hard session on the Wednesday, or go back to a recovery run?
Hasta la victoria siempre

imtommygunn

Not read the book in a long time...

Is there a program you're following or something from the book?

I'd say when you're starting training a month at 70% or below will be massively beneficial to the fitness.

laoislad

I'm doing the Irish runners 5 mile in Phoenix Park Saturday. I'm in week 1 of training for marathon. Saturday is designated for your 'pace' run,which this Saturday is actually a 5mile as part of the training program I'm doing so it fits in nicely.
I understand for this run I should be running at the pace I hope to run in the marathon. My question is for the 5m on Saturday should I stick to the training program and do this pace for the 5miles(which would be slow enough for a short race but not for a marathon) or go out and try and set a fast time.
If I was just doing training run on my own I'd stick to the set program pace but it may be harder do this when running with others as it is easier to run faster with others I find plus I suppose a bit of competitiveness might kick in if everyone is passing me while I stick to my pace!
I also have an 8 miler as part of the training program to do Sunday so I don't want to be fecked for that.
I think I know the answer but just wondered what the more experienced runners thought!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

LL while the head would say that you should do as per your programme the competitive head may kick in...

Define a pace run - like a tempo? You could do 3 or 4 miles at tempo pace and then the last 1 or 2 faster.

You'll find it very hard if you're a competitive sort to not push yourself hard in the race...

WT4E

Quote from: laoislad on June 25, 2014, 09:35:00 AM
I'm doing the Irish runners 5 mile in Phoenix Park Saturday. I'm in week 1 of training for marathon. Saturday is designated for your 'pace' run,which this Saturday is actually a 5mile as part of the training program I'm doing so it fits in nicely.
I understand for this run I should be running at the pace I hope to run in the marathon. My question is for the 5m on Saturday should I stick to the training program and do this pace for the 5miles(which would be slow enough for a short race but not for a marathon) or go out and try and set a fast time.
If I was just doing training run on my own I'd stick to the set program pace but it may be harder do this when running with others as it is easier to run faster with others I find plus I suppose a bit of competitiveness might kick in if everyone is passing me while I stick to my pace!
I also have an 8 miler as part of the training program to do Sunday so I don't want to be fecked for that.
I think I know the answer but just wondered what the more experienced runners thought!

GO FOR THE W LL!!! YOU CAN DO IT!

ballinaman

See how you feel on the Sunday LL. Don't be a slave to the program, great to have a plan but sometimes you have to make adjustments. Sometimes the race will dictate what type of pace you run...eg slow conjested start, just not feeling great ect.

Tibial stress fracture myself! 6 weeks no running...sickner. Obviously did do a bit of damage in Boston, only started doing quick stuff last week and flared up. Cycle, rowing and weights in the gym will have to suffice till August. 12 weeks until Dublin then, be interesting to see what can be done.

imtommygunn

Unlucky BM. You can get good value out of the cross trainer and spin classes so if you keep yourself ticking over you be grand.

Worst part of injuries is not knowing the root of them. Running can be a tough old sport with the injuries unfortunately! Now that you know you'll be fine as you know the rehab.

Did an interval set for the first time in a long time last night - busted today!

Bingo

No luck BM but at least you at the root of the problem and can work with what you know. The rower will make a man out of you!

LL - I'd enjoy the run Saturday and not worry too much about time or getting a big race under the belt. It will be a big run, so if you head out to run fast, you could end up ducking and diving through the field, which itself adds extra to the effort needed. Marathon pace would be enough and get the next days run under the belt as well. Personally I always took the LSR run on the programme as the key run of the week. If you race Saturday and feel the pace on Sunday, I'd take a day extra rest or just do a very very easy recovery run rather than stick to the programme in early part of next week. As BM says, its hard to stick to the programme rigidly at times for various reasons.

I still intend starting on a programme in august - 12 weeks. At the minute doing a lot of hills and keeping weekly long run at 10miles or just under. Done my favourite route last night which is on trails, hills, field and roads. Its a figure of 8 route that we reverse on second lap and takes the run to 10.5km. Was a glorious evening for it and you'd be on a high when finishing it, very tough but you feel super after it.  ;D