Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: laoislad on June 18, 2014, 01:21:17 PM
Just going for a sub 3hr are we Mayo4Sam?
Ya big snail...!

I'm doing an 18 week program starting next week.
Fair hot out there at the moment wouldn't be too keen trying to run in it.

Hard and low LL!

The McMillian calculator tells me 3:01/02 based on my 5k times, so why not aim to bring it in under 3.

In fairness my mileage is about 40-50k per week with a longest run of 24k so I've a good base for the mileage, its the pace I'm worried about
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 18, 2014, 02:20:41 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 18, 2014, 01:21:17 PM
Just going for a sub 3hr are we Mayo4Sam?
Ya big snail...!

I'm doing an 18 week program starting next week.
Fair hot out there at the moment wouldn't be too keen trying to run in it.

Hard and low LL!

The McMillian calculator tells me 3:01/02 based on my 5k times, so why not aim to bring it in under 3.

In fairness my mileage is about 40-50k per week with a longest run of 24k so I've a good base for the mileage, its the pace I'm worried about

Can you base it over your 5k's? do you not get progressively slower that longer the race goes?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mayo4Sam

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on June 18, 2014, 02:32:59 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 18, 2014, 02:29:46 PM
It takes it into account

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Erm.. It's giving me a Marathon time of 4:01  :o
Not a hope of that happening.!

giving me

Marathon

3:36:46

pace
8:16
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2014, 02:17:54 PM
Quote from: No1 on June 18, 2014, 11:04:30 AM
Gonna be seriously warm for Lisburn tonight, thank f**k I'm only doing the 10k! Good luck to the half marathon lads!

Should be plenty of shaded parts I'd imagine ? 26 degrees in the car now :(, will head soon to get ready, been drinking plenty water last few days so plenty hydrated, hate getting water in those wee cups, whatever way I try and drink it, it nearly chokes me lol

Going to stick with the 1.45 pacer till about 2 miles or so out and see if I can push on, if there is a 1.40 pacer I'll try and stick with him the whole way

Good luck this evening lads - it's going to be like an endurance race given the temperature! Definitely not going to be attempting a 10km PB in that heat  - going to go out slow and see where I am after mile 2.
Best of luck especially to the 1/2 marathon runners!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

imtommygunn

He seems to do what is necessary in races like that bingo. No harm to the guy in 2nd at newry who's very good but he'd be a good bit of O'Hanlon. I think O'Hanlon sat for ages and pushed on. He did about 4 consecutive weekend marathons round then so you'd need to take it easy in a few to make the most of it in the others when the bigger hitters are in there. Fair play to him - we'd all do it and earn that much money from it if we could!!

If you finish top 10 in dublin you get a good whack of money plus you are likely to get a time bonus for sub 2:30 so you could hit 3-4 k for it.

Macmilan guides are well and good but depend a lot on conditioning and there are considerably more mental aspects to marathon than the shorter stuff... Half times 2 plus 10 minutes a good barometer.

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2014, 03:16:40 PM
He seems to do what is necessary in races like that bingo. No harm to the guy in 2nd at newry who's very good but he'd be a good bit of O'Hanlon. I think O'Hanlon sat for ages and pushed on. He did about 4 consecutive weekend marathons round then so you'd need to take it easy in a few to make the most of it in the others when the bigger hitters are in there. Fair play to him - we'd all do it and earn that much money from it if we could!!

If you finish top 10 in dublin you get a good whack of money plus you are likely to get a time bonus for sub 2:30 so you could hit 3-4 k for it.

Macmilan guides are well and good but depend a lot on conditioning and there are considerably more mental aspects to marathon than the shorter stuff... Half times 2 plus 10 minutes a good barometer.

Yeah, he was very clearly holding a comfortable pace in newry and his winning time was well outside his other faster times. I just often wondered how quick he could go if he focused more on racing less. I'm sure he has considered this and that the gulf to where he thinks he could go is and what would be needed is too much. I believe he went for a sub 2.20 time in Rotterdam this year but it just didn't happen.

I won an Easter egg in a 10km and was thrilled to bits with that, so I'm sure he knows what he is at and getting rewarded for it.

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2014, 02:34:59 PM
It takes it into account

giving me

Marathon

pace

I put in my best 5k time and it said 4 hours flat.
Then I put in my best 10k time and it said 4:11.

If I put in my best 15k time it would probably be higher and so on until it got to 5 hours.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on June 18, 2014, 03:38:45 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2014, 02:34:59 PM
It takes it into account

giving me

Marathon

pace

I put in my best 5k time and it said 4 hours flat.
Then I put in my best 10k time and it said 4:11.

If I put in my best 15k time it would probably be higher and so on until it got to 5 hours.

I put in my last half marathon time

muppet

I don't think that MacMillan site is realistic, I put in 20 mins for 800m, and where it should have said 'take up bridge ffs', it said my Marathon time would be 25 hours.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: Bingo on June 18, 2014, 03:26:53 PM

Yeah, he was very clearly holding a comfortable pace in newry and his winning time was well outside his other faster times. I just often wondered how quick he could go if he focused more on racing less. I'm sure he has considered this and that the gulf to where he thinks he could go is and what would be needed is too much. I believe he went for a sub 2.20 time in Rotterdam this year but it just didn't happen.

I won an Easter egg in a 10km and was thrilled to bits with that, so I'm sure he knows what he is at and getting rewarded for it.

Yeah not won too much myself. Two parkruns, 150 quid voucher in marathon relay and a trophy for second in what would be my local 10k. Any real money and I'd be very happy!!

The macmillan thing basically doesn't scale. There are a lot of assumptions in it. Half marathon best barometer I'd say. 10k and 5k are just not comparable or I'd do sub 2:45 and there's no way in the world that's happening!!

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2014, 04:20:25 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 18, 2014, 03:26:53 PM

Yeah not won too much myself. Two parkruns, 150 quid voucher in marathon relay and a trophy for second in what would be my local 10k. Any real money and I'd be very happy!!

The macmillan thing basically doesn't scale. There are a lot of assumptions in it. Half marathon best barometer I'd say. 10k and 5k are just not comparable or I'd do sub 2:45 and there's no way in the world that's happening!!

Would agree on the McMillan  thing. My 5km is giving me 3.02 finish and that ain't happening. My half time gives me just over 3.15, which may well be my target for Dublin this year.

Milltown Row2

Seems as if it's getting hotter ffs, right will have a comfort break, would hate to do a

Mayo4Sam

my 5k and 10k pbs give me the same marathon time

Milltown Row2

That was a tough enough course, the heat was big factor too but I managed to finish in 1.39 by my watch which gave a overall distance of 13.23miles. But I think it will be a 1.40 officially, so still well happy with well over 2 mins of my pb.

Felt really strong in the second half of race, maybe a slow start, thought I'd stay with the 1.45 pacers but my legs wanted to go quicker so off I went. Great event with challenging hills. legs feel really good which is telling me I may have more in me, possible marathon maybe, I'll see