Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

There's a balance mr and it depends what you're looking for... All that minus the leg weights would help running.  Leg weights at the end of a session probably ok but mainly core strength rather than weights aid the running.

If you're doing a load of fitness stuff you could get away with 3-4 times a week but shirk the running and you'll hit that wall sooner than you should...

Main thing is to get the key running sessions in. Long an absolute must. Tempo would help. Like you say build it up though. Something like the long runs on that plan ll has would be a good basis.

12 in one go or in several goes??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 16, 2014, 10:35:01 PM
There's a balance mr and it depends what you're looking for... All that minus the leg weights would help running.  Leg weights at the end of a session probably ok but mainly core strength rather than weights aid the running.

If you're doing a load of fitness stuff you could get away with 3-4 times a week but shirk the running and you'll hit that wall sooner than you should...

Main thing is to get the key running sessions in. Long an absolute must. Tempo would help. Like you say build it up though. Something like the long runs on that plan ll has would be a good basis.

12 in one go or in several goes??

Before a session at the gym I generally do 5k (21min) so I'd do that 4 times a week. Looking to cut out some other stuff and increase the distances for running, I've  few things coming up so I'm cycling, swimming a lot more, not focusing on one thing is my main fault
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah i know a good few like that. Fitness will get you far but miles a must for the marathon. You could get away with 3-4 times week but would recommend more...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 16, 2014, 10:51:56 PM
Yeah i know a good few like that. Fitness will get you far but miles a must for the marathon. You could get away with 3-4 times week but would recommend more...

Aye, I've a big running mate who's reining me in all the time and telling me small increments all the time. Legs feel sore around the 11 mile mark. After Wed I'll decide on a marathon or not this year. Job wise I could be changing, or not, come September so things (training wise) could change.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

Gonna be seriously warm for Lisburn tonight, thank f**k I'm only doing the 10k! Good luck to the half marathon lads!

imtommygunn

Should be ok by that time of evening...

Last year was same conditions and wasn't too bad.

Good luck to all running.

There are a good few water stations from what I recall.

Orior

Wear your GAA top with pride tonight
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ballinaman

Quote from: Orior on June 18, 2014, 11:30:44 AM
Wear your GAA top with pride tonight
*Avoid 90s cotton style if possible.

Best of luck lads...

Mayo4Sam

BM, when would you recommend starting training for the marathon?
Was talking to Maria McC last nite and she said August 1st which I thought was a bit late but shes the expert I suppose.

Anyway it looks like my triathlon and cycling seasons are over with the shoulder injury so may as well do the marathon (although I swore the last time never again)

At this stage I'd be hoping for somewhere close to the three hours  :o :o :o :o
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

She's also just run 33 odd for a 10k so I suspect her starting fitness is a bit better than the average...

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 18, 2014, 11:38:41 AM
BM, when would you recommend starting training for the marathon?
Was talking to Maria McC last nite and she said August 1st which I thought was a bit late but shes the expert I suppose.

Anyway it looks like my triathlon and cycling seasons are over with the shoulder injury so may as well do the marathon (although I swore the last time never again)

At this stage I'd be hoping for somewhere close to the three hours  :o :o :o :o
I started yesterday....it's 19 weeks from last Monday. July the 1st would be latest , that's when I started in 2012 and that had 2 weeks of non stop drinking in Poland as preparation too. ;D

As tommy said, she's got natural ability and a rest training week for her would be more than what the majority do!!

Bingo

I'd beg to differ on the training dates  :)

I started last year on my programme for the marathon on the August bank holiday, was also the first day of the holidays down in East Cork. I'd a clear 12 week programme from that and stuck to it. Mind you that was my third marathon on the spin - Dublin 12, Connemara spring 13 and then Dublin. I eased off over the summer as I felt wrecked after Connemara.

In the run up to the start, I was doing a bit, maybe 3 runs a week, mostly short stuff. Didn't "race" over the summer at all.

This year will do mostly the same although have a local 10mile race at the end of July. Till then I'll run 3/4 times a week with a long run at weekend, 10 miles.

I find with my base and loose target that a 12 week programme will do for me.

imtommygunn

I heard he won 12.5 k last year in prize money Bingo...

Based on that draw your own conclusions!

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on June 16, 2014, 12:33:41 PM
Well I've just gone and done the most stupid thing I've ever done...
I've officially signed up for the Dublin Marathon. :-\

Week 1 training starts tomorrow week.
To make sure I don't quit half way thru training I am going to run in aid of the Down Syndrome Centre in Sandyford.
I've already informed them and a fund raising pack is on the way to me so it will be added incentive for me to keep going and actually do the thing!

Anyone else signed up or going to sign up?

Good man. Best of luck with that.

I haven't ruled my self out completely yet, but I don't think it is realistic this year for me. After over an hour running my sore achilles becomes a sore lower calf as well. I can't imagine how it would be after 3 or 4 hours.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on June 18, 2014, 11:04:30 AM
Gonna be seriously warm for Lisburn tonight, thank f**k I'm only doing the 10k! Good luck to the half marathon lads!

Should be plenty of shaded parts I'd imagine ? 26 degrees in the car now :(, will head soon to get ready, been drinking plenty water last few days so plenty hydrated, hate getting water in those wee cups, whatever way I try and drink it, it nearly chokes me lol

Going to stick with the 1.45 pacer till about 2 miles or so out and see if I can push on, if there is a 1.40 pacer I'll try and stick with him the whole way