Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

Also No1, who is running the Strangford 10km, wouldn't mind doing it and could get a few pints after and stay at the wife's home place.

Me and a mate are organising it for the Festival Committee with a lot of help from East Down AC. It would be great if you can make it, no better way to start off a Bank Holiday Weekend! AthleticsNI or Nirunning have two excellent websites for fixtures, results etc. The Belfast Half is on in mid September and last years race was a great event.  You can enter online now for the Strangford 10k, make yourself known afterwards and I'll shout you a pint!

Milltown Row2

Cracking morning, knocked out 6 miles, picked a hilly wee route in prep for wed night in Lisburn. Feeling ok hopefully I won't go off to quick, wife hates that lol ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lfdown2

Quote from: No1 on June 13, 2014, 12:08:44 PM
Also No1, who is running the Strangford 10km, wouldn't mind doing it and could get a few pints after and stay at the wife's home place.

Me and a mate are organising it for the Festival Committee with a lot of help from East Down AC. It would be great if you can make it, no better way to start off a Bank Holiday Weekend! AthleticsNI or Nirunning have two excellent websites for fixtures, results etc. The Belfast Half is on in mid September and last years race was a great event.  You can enter online now for the Strangford 10k, make yourself known afterwards and I'll shout you a pint!

Cheers lad, I'll be there! Did my 14k in 1:02:33 today, very happy!

CD

Anyone registered for the Belfast Half Marathon yet?

Is it possible to register without paying the £2.50 transaction fee? Really resent paying a fee for an online payment. Just an add-on with no justification.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Well I've just gone and done the most stupid thing I've ever done...
I've officially signed up for the Dublin Marathon. :-\

Week 1 training starts tomorrow week.
To make sure I don't quit half way thru training I am going to run in aid of the Down Syndrome Centre in Sandyford.
I've already informed them and a fund raising pack is on the way to me so it will be added incentive for me to keep going and actually do the thing!

Anyone else signed up or going to sign up?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mb80b60

Quote from: laoislad on June 16, 2014, 12:33:41 PM

To make sure I don't quit half way thru training I am going to run in aid of the Down Syndrome Centre in Sandyford.
I've already informed them and a fund raising pack is on the way to me so it will be added incentive for me to keep going and actually do the thing!

I'm very tempted LL!  Which plan are you following?  Is this your first marathon?

Dubh driocht

LL, I plan to do it with a couple of friends. I should have more sense but I have a fair amount of respect for your attitude to many things so if you're in,so am I.Will wait until 31st July to enter in case Down go on a late run which could impact on the training schedule!

laoislad

Mb80b60 yeah I'm a virgin Marathoner. I only started running 12 months ago.
It would be great if I could finish the marathon as quick as I did when I lost my other virginity  ;D

I'm going to follow Hal Higdon intermediate 1 training plan
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51139/Marathon-Intermediate-1-Training-Program
I'm going to change the cross training part of the programme and do interval training instead.

I like doing the intervals and I feel it would be more beneficial than the cross training. I may throw in a few hill repeats as I get further into the training.
For now my goal is to just finish the bloody thing. I have no time goal in mind but that may change when I see how the training is going.

Quote from: Dubh driocht on June 16, 2014, 12:49:10 PM
LL, I plan to do it with a couple of friends. I should have more sense but I have a fair amount of respect for your attitude to many things so if you're in,so am I.Will wait until 31st July to enter in case Down go on a late run which could impact on the training schedule!

Cheers,but are you sure your not confusing me for someone else! :D
Best of luck with it if you do decide to do it.

imtommygunn

Quote from: laoislad on June 16, 2014, 01:15:49 PM

It would be great if I could finish the marathon as quick as I did when I lost my other virginity  ;D

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51139/Marathon-Intermediate-1-Training-Program
I'm going to change the cross training part of the programme and do interval training instead.

I like doing the intervals and I feel it would be more beneficial than the cross training. I may throw in a few hill repeats as I get further into the training.
For now my goal is to just finish the bloody thing. I have no time goal in mind but that may change when I see how the training is going.

The cross training is to get yourself away from running and the impact. I would suggest not changing that as I think it is ideal for injury proofing etc in these programmes...

andoireabu

Quote from: laoislad on June 16, 2014, 12:33:41 PM

Fair play laoislad.  Im very close to signing up at this stage.  been running this last 6 weeks and its been going well enough.  Aiming at 10 miles this weekend and if I can get to half marathon distance before August I definitely will sign up.  Would be my first one so I'm probably dreaming that I can get round at this stage
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 16, 2014, 01:37:26 PM

The cross training is to get yourself away from running and the impact. I would suggest not changing that as I think it is ideal for injury proofing etc in these programmes...
Fair enough. Advice always welcome thanks.
Would it be ok to swap a mid week run for a interval session every other week or so?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on June 16, 2014, 09:27:40 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 16, 2014, 01:37:26 PM

Fair enough. Advice always welcome thanks.
Would it be ok to swap a mid week run for a interval session every other week or so?

Is there a link to this?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Ll i'd say that would be ok. The cross training day is what's called active rest so the body gets rest from impact but not from fitness benefit.

Would say substitute tuesday as it's a shorter day. Try and stick to the mileage- e.g if intervals take you over tuesday run go under wednesday or vice versa.

The thing to be wary of with intervals is if you do them too hard you'll leave yourself tired for the other miles and will get less benefit. So i'd say start with low reps and build up. No matter how many reps go for same pace. E.g if week 1 is 2x400 do them at same pace you would do 8x400 and don't sprint...

imtommygunn

Injury proofing perhaps wrong term mr... Injury prevention i guess better term. Gets fitness with less repetitive strain plus will use similar but different muscles... Active rest really.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 16, 2014, 09:44:29 PM
Injury proofing perhaps wrong term mr... Injury prevention i guess better term. Gets fitness with less repetitive strain plus will use similar but different muscles... Active rest really.

Ok things like, spinning, rowing or swimming ? What about leg weight training? I'm always aching after doing some leg work (don't do enough though)

I've generally done 12 miles during the week and maybe 6 to 10 at weekend outside for past 4 years, but have upped it recently for the Lisburn half. I just want to maybe/possibly do a full one but would need to add on a few miles a week, cardio I'm grand but would have an ache that would slow me down, but as you've said before I need to slowly build up the miles