Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: Bingo on June 12, 2014, 11:42:59 AM
Quote from: WT4E on June 12, 2014, 11:30:59 AM
So do you think could I knock 2 mins off that in 2 weeks?

I was feeling pretty happy before I had to stop for a week.

Bingo,
I'm using a running programme which ranges from 3 - 8 mile over 5/6week period with rest days etc too - just happened to be the 6 mile run last night.

You'll be grand then. Its very achieveable and in a race situation you can generally get extra outa of yourself. I'm sure you've been told the golden rule when racing is to control the pace at the start, not go slow but stay within your required pace. Too fast too soon can take the wind outa the sail for later in the race.

Yeah good advice I will probably have to keep that in mind. I have only ever really been in one race in recent memory a few years back!  :(

imtommygunn

Does the 5 miler have pacers at it?

WT4E

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 12, 2014, 12:16:03 PM

???

I'm a total green horn but what is this?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: WT4E on June 12, 2014, 12:51:07 PM

???

Pacers being fella's that run in the race to certain times, giving 'normal' runners an idea of pace and time of finish. Generally a guy/girl with a bib on saying 30 mins 35 mins 40mins get my drift?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

WT4E

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2014, 01:15:23 PM
Quote from: WT4E on June 12, 2014, 12:51:07 PM

???

Pacers being fella's that run in the race to certain times, giving 'normal' runners an idea of pace and time of finish. Generally a guy/girl with a bib on saying 30 mins 35 mins 40mins get my drift?

Ah right - Very good - do they have them in this race as previously asked?

imtommygunn

Not every race - some of the big races though. Not sure to be honest as have only raced a couple of times down south and they organise things much better than up here!

imtommygunn

Don't think there are any. Must be specific to marathons or halfs.

magpie seanie

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 12, 2014, 02:05:00 PM

Getting more common it seems. A 10k in a few weeks where I'm from and they are going to have 45/50/55 min pacers. Going to try and hang with the 55 minute guy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 12, 2014, 03:39:18 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 12, 2014, 02:05:00 PM

Getting more common it seems. A 10k in a few weeks where I'm from and they are going to have 45/50/55 min pacers. Going to try and hang with the 55 minute guy.

At last couple of 10k's I'd done to recently
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Terenure 5 mile had pacers and the Clontarf 5 mile will have pacers.

I might go for broke and start with the 40 min one and see how it goes. I hardly finish with him/her though.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Out this morning for 6 miles, did it at pace I'll be looking to do over the half, while it was flat I finished at 43mins be happy to keep that pace on Wed

lfdown2

Quote from: lfdown2 on May 11, 2014, 08:54:22 AM
We'll done all, great motivation, to the point I have been embarrassed coming on to this thread for the past month or 2. Have been very slack since the 10k in March.

Finally got off my ass and out yesterday for a slow (tough) 11k. Started the Hal Higdon program for the Brisbane half on 3 August so hopefully that's me back on track! Today was stretching and strength only so handy day to get started, looking forward to getting back in to it!

Got great news, picked up a job at home. Unfortunately means I'll miss the Brisbane half, was well on track, half 14km race on Sunday. Anyway, can anyone advise of websites at home with race calendar, wouldn't mind still looking at a half round August/September.

Also No1, who is running the Strangford 10km, wouldn't mind doing it and could get a few pints after and stay at the wife's home place.

WT4E

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 13, 2014, 09:30:41 AM
We'll done all, great motivation, to the point I have been embarrassed coming on to this thread for the past month or 2. Have been very slack since the 10k in March.

Finally got off my ass and out yesterday for a slow (tough) 11k. Started the Hal Higdon program for the Brisbane half on 3 August so hopefully that's me back on track! Today was stretching and strength only so handy day to get started, looking forward to getting back in to it!

Got great news, picked up a job at home. Unfortunately means I'll miss the Brisbane half, was well on track, half 14km race on Sunday. Anyway, can anyone advise of websites at home with race calendar, wouldn't mind still looking at a half round August/September.

Also No1, who is running the Strangford 10km, wouldn't mind doing it and could get a few pints after and stay at the wife's home place.

Mid Louth is very helpful ask him! lol

The Bearded One

Athletic NI has a race calendar and carries results as well.

It is what it is. Presumably.

laoislad

Dublin half marathon is in September. The Run Ireland website has all the races and dates on it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.