Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2014, 08:54:23 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2014, 08:49:08 PM
Did a 10 miles run today.

My phone app didn't track me properly (it died before the end also) so I had no idea of pace but the heart monitor app worked so I was in the mid 140s all of the time. I have a garmin watch as a back up which is set in miles.

1:34:14 for the 10 miles and I noticed passing 9.4 miles (15k or so) in 1:28:20 which I am particularly happy about as I didn't feel as full of running as I have lately. I think I am probably getting towards overdoing it now. I have run 6 of the last 7 days and have 52kms in that time.

Brilliant running, how did you feel afters? seeing you have been busy all week?

At 2 miles I thought I would be turning back to be honest, but I just kept at it. At the end it I probably could have gone on a bit more but not much. My right foot was getting sore, which is new, and my right achilles and calf were complaining, which isn't. I think I will be able to step up and do a half marathon distance soon, but I am afraid to think of going further.

And I am definitely not looking at Dublin in October (yet)!

I still think I will do a recovery run tomorrow though. Am I crazy?
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

0km today. Further updates later in the week.

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 08, 2014, 09:10:43 PM

A good start.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2014, 08:59:23 PM

My phone app didn't track me properly (it died before the end also) so I had no idea of pace but the heart monitor app worked so I was in the mid 140s all of the time. I have a garmin watch as a back up which is set in miles.

1:34:14 for the 10 miles and I noticed passing 9.4 miles (15k or so) in 1:28:20 which I am particularly happy about as I didn't feel as full of running as I have lately. I think I am probably getting towards overdoing it now. I have run 6 of the last 7 days and have 52kms in that time.

At 2 miles I thought I would be turning back to be honest, but I just kept at it. At the end it I probably could have gone on a bit more but not much. My right foot was getting sore, which is new, and my right achilles and calf were complaining, which isn't. I think I will be able to step up and do a half marathon distance soon, but I am afraid to think of going further.

I'm doing a spinning class which I like doing after a decent run as a recovery. Though I've reserve hurling match to play, so hopefully I'll be grand.

Just checked my strava account, I'd 10 miles done in 1.17, the last 3 miles took me 26 minutes!!! Though last mile and bit was a complete bollox up hill. You be finishing the half in under 2 hrs muppet. are you using strava? some of the lads are on it here under the GAA BOARD name
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2014, 09:12:55 PM

I'm doing a spinning class which I like doing after a decent run as a recovery. Though I've reserve hurling match to play, so hopefully I'll be grand.

Just checked my strava account, I'd 10 miles done in 1.17, the last 3 miles took me 26 minutes!!! Though last mile and bit was a complete bollox up hill. You be finishing the half in under 2 hrs muppet. are you using strava? some of the lads are on it here under the GAA BOARD name

Never heard of it. I will check it out now.
MWWSI 2017

An Gaeilgoir

Broke my 10k PB tonight by 30 seconds...am bloody delighted. The missus bought me a garmin 110 with a heart monitor...just started using it and it's great foe keeping the pace up...now I need to get the heart monitor up and running... Any advice.

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2014, 09:21:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2014, 09:12:55 PM

Never heard of it. I will check it out now.

Muppet i would maybe take a day off especially if achilles complaining... I would recommend plenty of stretching with your calves. Rule of thumb... No more than 20% increase per week. You're going well - many people do too much too soon so just be wary of that...

Did about 9.5 or so today fast enough. Had a bad last 2 weeks so was happy enough.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on June 08, 2014, 10:25:16 PM
You must have at least clocked up a few yards going from the couch to the fridge and back again.
Went a short jaunt with the weans on the bikes but wouldn't even have been 2 miles.

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 08, 2014, 10:33:42 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 08, 2014, 10:25:16 PM
You must have at least clocked up a few yards going from the couch to the fridge and back again.
Went a short jaunt with the weans on the bikes but wouldn't even have been 2 miles.

Good man, a start.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Been avoiding this thread for a while as I haven't been able to go for a run for a week now and it doesn't make it easier reading the last few pages. Have a nagging bollix of a cold/sore throat that is lingering after I did my 10k pb and had a sick wife/child also so last week was a mess. Hoping to get out for a few miles tomorrow evening and pick it up from there, hope I haven't regressed too much. Seems just when I'm really getting going I get some sort of a dose, need to look at that.

Well done to all on the PB's in the last week. Brilliant stuff.

LL - I did get the Lidl Heart Rate monitor but haven't tried it out yet. How's it going for you?

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 08, 2014, 10:20:37 PM
Muppet i would maybe take a day off especially if achilles complaining... I would recommend plenty of stretching with your calves. Rule of thumb... No more than 20% increase per week. You're going well - many people do too much too soon so just be wary of that...

Did about 9.5 or so today fast enough. Had a bad last 2 weeks so was happy enough.

I took your advice.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

The heart monitor is really just to gauge effort and force you to discipline yourself to it BM. Once you get into it a bit you can tell yourself anyway but it's a good barometer / tutor for you to begin with. I would use the monitor on tempos all the time but maybe not so much outside of that. Once drift starts would slow down a bit.

Good man muppet - you need a break every now and again.

Milltown Row2

For me the perfect recovery from the runs is spinning the next night, though at lunchtime I managed to do 40 lengths (gearing up for another tri soon)at the pool which was good,  but spinning at the gym is great (for me) to loosen up the muscles, had a great, well more a torrid time with the foam roller afterwards, ironed out all those wee aches, was painful but feel grand now. Cant recommend the roller high enough (thanks to BM, and Tommy on that)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

First outing with the heart rate monitor this evening after work. After a 9 day layoff, still not feeling 100% and a few pains from being pressed into junior football action last Sunday I was worried I would have a bad outing. Made a balls of my calculations and aimed to keep under 160 bpm. Was going to do 7k with the option of 10k if it was going ok. It was seriously slow!!!!! However, it felt great once I got into it and I went on and covered the 10k. Probably a bit too much coming back off a break but feck it, I'll be sound.

Think I should have been aiming at 170 ish (220-38-60)*0.9 + 60 = 169.8 which would probably have had me around a minute to 90 secs/mile slower than my best 10k pace but in the circumstances it was probably no harm to keep the effort at a lower rate.

By the ay it worked perfectly. I just used it to see what my heart rate was, didn't bother setting target zones etc.