Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Races cater for everyone. Don't worry about whether you're good enough to be in it as there is no pre-requisite. Look at the times from last year - I'd bet you'd finish quite well up it. You'd surprise yourself.

5 mile, 10k, 10mil and half the series aren't they with that being one of them?

WT4E

Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 03:39:00 PM
Quote from: WT4E on June 03, 2014, 03:24:15 PM
Thanks Ballinaman

I'm going to target under 40 - hopefully I can do it!

Jebus man there will be a thousand people behind you! And that is assuming only 1,500 start.

Sorry dunno think the Irish Runner title put me off when I read it to myself again after I booked it. Started to think 'Irish runner' and picture myself with 300 athletes all doin this in under 30.

But I'm more calm now.

I'm about 1 month into the running (with a reasonable base of fitness due to previous football training). I did a six mile run last Friday in 48.04 (5 mile split 40:28) so assuming the course is not mental tough I would say its a very doable time for me.

Hopefully!

ballinaman

Quote from: WT4E on June 03, 2014, 04:22:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 03:39:00 PM
Quote from: WT4E on June 03, 2014, 03:24:15 PM
Thanks Ballinaman

I'm going to target under 40 - hopefully I can do it!

Jebus man there will be a thousand people behind you! And that is assuming only 1,500 start.

Sorry dunno think the Irish Runner title put me off when I read it to myself again after I booked it. Started to think 'Irish runner' and picture myself with 300 athletes all doin this in under 30.

But I'm more calm now.

I'm about 1 month into the running (with a reasonable base of fitness due to previous football training). I did a six mile run last Friday in 48.04 (5 mile split 40:28) so assuming the course is not mental tough I would say its a very doable time for me.

Hopefully!

I used this route for the marathon training, used to run it 4 times for a 20 miler, turning back around when hitting the finish and start lines. The clockwise route is much tougher, from the bottom of the kyber road where you turn onto military road is pretty brutal. 2 hills of 900m approx length....Kyber Road is all downhill, don't loose run of yourself there, need to keep some gas in the tank.

Get onto a few routes that have long hills in the next month

moysider

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on June 03, 2014, 12:52:13 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 02, 2014, 09:58:20 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 02, 2014, 08:59:46 PM
Aminos are building blocks for muscle growth and repair so I say they are helping, better than those whey protein shakes. You've also been training consistently which is bound to be helping too miltown!

Must get some. I don t even do the protein shakes.

My nutrition is meat. spuds and 2 veg and lots of beer and the odd rolly.

Dont know if anyone else here is doing Achill, but i have to say i am looking forward to it, did a 13 miler yesterday and came in under the 2 hour mark on a course similar to Achill...will do one more before the big day.

Regarding the whey Protein, i took it for for a few weeks and found it not to be any use, it is also quite expensive, might give the Amino Acid tablets a go, but as Ballinaman said, nothing can beat just getting the miles into the legs.

Have done Achill a few times and decided to give it a miss earlier. I m doing Clontarf instead the same day. Achill is a fine event but minutes slower than more sympathetic routes. Its there with Connemara as a challenge. Achill a bit pricey too and last year they couldn t get the T-shirt sizes right. And they were charging xtra for the bloody mug that used to be part of the goody bag ;D

Off now to do 13 on local half route. Time to get serious again. Must try those 'Amigo Acids' and see.

CD

Quote from: moysider on June 03, 2014, 05:54:23 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on June 03, 2014, 12:52:13 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 02, 2014, 09:58:20 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 02, 2014, 08:59:46 PM
Aminos are building blocks for muscle growth and repair so I say they are helping, better than those whey protein shakes. You've also been training consistently which is bound to be helping too miltown!

Must get some. I don t even do the protein shakes.

My nutrition is meat. spuds and 2 veg and lots of beer and the odd rolly.

Dont know if anyone else here is doing Achill, but i have to say i am looking forward to it, did a 13 miler yesterday and came in under the 2 hour mark on a course similar to Achill...will do one more before the big day.

Regarding the whey Protein, i took it for for a few weeks and found it not to be any use, it is also quite expensive, might give the Amino Acid tablets a go, but as Ballinaman said, nothing can beat just getting the miles into the legs.

Have done Achill a few times and decided to give it a miss earlier. I m doing Clontarf instead the same day. Achill is a fine event but minutes slower than more sympathetic routes. Its there with Connemara as a challenge. Achill a bit pricey too and last year they couldn t get the T-shirt sizes right. And they were charging xtra for the bloody mug that used to be part of the goody bag ;D

Off now to do 13 on local half route. Time to get serious again. Must try those 'Amigo Acids' and see.

That's what Speedy Gonzales used!  :)
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Friend doing the Mourne Way Marathon, the sound of it frightens me never mind actually running it lol

Anybody here do that before?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

charlieTully

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2014, 06:23:59 PM
Friend doing the Mourne Way Marathon, the sound of it frightens me never mind actually running it lol

just done the ten k part, which isnt too bad, the marathon would be deadly, fair play to your mate. im doing the ten k again on saturday, looking forward to it. you doing lisburn?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: charlieTully on June 03, 2014, 08:23:32 PM

just done the ten k part, which isnt too bad, the marathon would be deadly, fair play to your mate. im doing the ten k again on saturday, looking forward to it. you doing lisburn?

Aye going to do Lisburn half. The fella that's doing Mourne is going through chemo at the minute after being diagnosed last summer with two types of cancer, bloody inspiration who I've met through the gym, I've been pushing him along getting him out running again and he's got his mojo back. If there is a 10k part I might do that with him.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

charlieTully

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2014, 08:27:53 PM

Aye going to do Lisburn half. The fella that's doing Mourne is going through chemo at the minute after being diagnosed last summer with two types of cancer, bloody inspiration who I've met through the gym, I've been pushing him along getting him out running again and he's got his mojo back. If there is a 10k part I might do that with him.

there is an ultra marathon, marathon, half and ten k, all with different start times and start points. very inspirational btw. thats brilliant.

http://www.26extreme.com/news/news.aspx?ID=80

Rois

Quote from: charlieTully on June 03, 2014, 08:38:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2014, 08:27:53 PM

there is an ultra marathon, marathon, half and ten k, all with different start times and start points. very inspirational btw. thats brilliant.

http://www.26extreme.com/news/news.aspx?ID=80
Mr Rois-to-be is doing the half marathon on Saturday. 
I am unlikely now to do Lisburn 10k as I have totally fallen away and will have to start flippin running again from the start.  My own fault, plus working away from home for a number of weeks and staying in a hotel doesn't help but I can't always use it as an excuse. 

imtommygunn

The mourne way marathon a hilly trail run as opposed to a scale the top of a mountain kind of run so I don't think the mourne way is as bad as it might sound. It still wouldn't be easy mind..

This one would be a bit more extreme I think...

http://skyrunninguk.com/2014/05/28/skyrunning-uk-announce-new-race-mourne-skyline-mtr-in-northern-ireland

Bingo

I know two lads who did it a few years back. They said its a serious tough run and one of them took a while to shake it out of the system afterwards, he did say that while they had done a bit of the type of hills before it there wasn't much that could prepare you for them unless you "lived" on the mourne trails.

He did enjoy it mind and its one to experience rather than race, which was part of the problem for him as he is very competitive!

Milltown Row2

Tomorrow is the last day for signing up for the Lisburn half marathon, there could be more entries afterwards depending on numbers.

Looking to do it in 1.44 or below if I can, think that's achievable providing I don't go too fast at the start or pick up injury (touch wood)

Which is basically 7.7 minute miles (I think) should be grand, will keep to that for as much as I can and if I have anything in the tank will push on

The Iceman

lads i'm doing my first 10k on Saturday morning at 9.30am with 21 obstacles mixed in. I havent been running early in the morning (big oversight on my part). I have to be at the starting line an hour early and it takes about 40 mins to get there. What time would you be eating breakfast and what would be the best for the task at hand?
i stupidly have been doing my running in the afternoon and early evening so i've never thought about breakfast so close to the run.
Any advice appreciated.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Iceman on June 05, 2014, 06:58:55 PM
lads i'm doing my first 10k on Saturday morning at 9.30am with 21 obstacles mixed in. I havent been running early in the morning (big oversight on my part). I have to be at the starting line an hour early and it takes about 40 mins to get there. What time would you be eating breakfast and what would be the best for the task at hand?
i stupidly have been doing my running in the afternoon and early evening so i've never thought about breakfast so close to the run.
Any advice appreciated.

That's an early start, bed early and up early. If you wake up two hours before your run, good options include oats, wholegrain toast topped with eggs, granola, bagels or breakfast muffins and freshly made smoothies.