Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Kept waiting for myself to hit the wall and fall off the pace but kept it going. Must admit I pushed so hard at the finish I had, shall we say, a moment of stomach upset!

I had planned running a 10k race next Sat to attack my pb but think I will do the 12k mountain loop slowly again. I have no doubt that is great training and contributed to last nights run. 

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 02, 2014, 03:10:22 PM
Kept waiting for myself to hit the wall and fall off the pace but kept it going. Must admit I pushed so hard at the finish I had, shall we say, a moment of stomach upset!

I had planned running a 10k race next Sat to attack my pb but think I will do the 12k mountain loop slowly again. I have no doubt that is great training and contributed to last nights run.
Happens me all the time  :-[
Well done on the PB.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 01, 2014, 11:55:34 PM
Hammered my 10k pb tonight. Knocked over two minutes off it, 56:25. Feckin delighted with that.
Mighty stuff. Congrats

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on June 02, 2014, 11:36:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2014, 10:47:38 AM
Hammered my 10k pb tonight. Knocked over two minutes off it, 56:25. Feckin delighted with that.

2 mins is some going, minutes are dropping off all over the show.

I was at the Runher charity race on Sunday at Stormont, there was 2 races, wife and two kids did the first 5k and there must have been well over 1500 people doing it, some runners joggers and walkers and it was a great event which can only spur on people to take it up full time, my eldest daughter (13) finished in 24 minutes which I was chuffed considering she avoids running, so potential there.

The fastest runner finished in 17 minutes and as anyone who knows Stormont estate there is a nasty hill so that was a decent time......

Mrs CD did the Race for Life there on Sunday morning - not bad going for a girl who had a baby 4 months ago! It was the biggest crowd I can recall doing it and I think it was going in the afternoon as well.

The fastest girls were in on 19 minutes  - good going as there were two bottlenecks where they had to walk and the second part of that hill (just when you think you'ver reached the top there's the bit up around the side to do!) is a real killer!

Still struggling with injury myself. Going to jog an 8km this evening just to see how the glute is. The back pain has resided but the muscle is raw - had 9 days rest on it. Looks like I'll just have to settle for the Lisburn 10km and jog it - don't have a run in me.

Going to do the Bridges run MR - you do that one?

Where is this run?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2014, 07:57:12 PM

I was at the Runher charity race on Sunday at Stormont, there was 2 races, wife and two kids did the first 5k and there must have been well over 1500 people doing it, some runners joggers and walkers and it was a great event which can only spur on people to take it up full time, my eldest daughter (13) finished in 24 minutes which I was chuffed considering she avoids running, so potential there.

The fastest runner finished in 17 minutes and as anyone who knows Stormont estate there is a nasty hill so that was a decent time......

Mrs CD did the Race for Life there on Sunday morning - not bad going for a girl who had a baby 4 months ago! It was the biggest crowd I can recall doing it and I think it was going in the afternoon as well.

The fastest girls were in on 19 minutes  - good going as there were two bottlenecks where they had to walk and the second part of that hill (just when you think you'ver reached the top there's the bit up around the side to do!) is a real killer!

Still struggling with injury myself. Going to jog an 8km this evening just to see how the glute is. The back pain has resided but the muscle is raw - had 9 days rest on it. Looks like I'll just have to settle for the Lisburn 10km and jog it - don't have a run in me.

Where is this run?

On the Westlink - Between the Bridges - 5km on Sunday 22nd June @ 9am. Found a flyer for it on my car after an event
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on June 02, 2014, 08:02:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2014, 07:57:12 PM

Where is this run?

On the Westlink - Between the Bridges - 5km on Sunday 22nd June @ 9am. Found a flyer for it on my car after an event

Hmmm could be tempted, out the following week for a triathlon so 5k would be good enough prep.

I've been taking Amino acid tablets for a while now, and whether it works or I've changed techniques, stretching more or if its just a placebo I find that I'm stronger and have less aches and pains,  I'm sure the medic (ballinaman) could inform us more on this
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Aminos are building blocks for muscle growth and repair so I say they are helping, better than those whey protein shakes. You've also been training consistently which is bound to be helping too miltown!

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on June 02, 2014, 08:59:46 PM
Aminos are building blocks for muscle growth and repair so I say they are helping, better than those whey protein shakes. You've also been training consistently which is bound to be helping too miltown!

Must get some. I don t even do the protein shakes.

My nutrition is meat. spuds and 2 veg and lots of beer and the odd rolly.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: moysider on June 02, 2014, 09:58:20 PM

Dont know if anyone else here is doing Achill, but i have to say i am looking forward to it, did a 13 miler yesterday and came in under the 2 hour mark on a course similar to Achill...will do one more before the big day.

Regarding the whey Protein, i took it for for a few weeks and found it not to be any use, it is also quite expensive, might give the Amino Acid tablets a go, but as Ballinaman said, nothing can beat just getting the miles into the legs.

Bingo

Will have to try and tot my KM's for this month, watch broke in middle of it, so will likely have to give best guestimate!

I always take a good glass of milk after a run instead of any protein drinks, has worked well for me in the past.

And fair play to Seanie. Nothing like a bit of hill running to strengthen the leg muscles I find. Its going to be my focus over next month or so before starting into a plan for Dublin.

WT4E

I just entered the Irish Runner 5 mile in Pheonix Park 28/6/14

First time I've entered a run bar a few fun runs for the local GAA clubs a few years ago. Starting to worry that maybe this is a serious race and I shouldn't be in it?  :-\

Wonder what he level is like in it?

ballinaman

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on June 03, 2014, 12:52:13 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 02, 2014, 09:58:20 PM

Dont know if anyone else here is doing Achill, but i have to say i am looking forward to it, did a 13 miler yesterday and came in under the 2 hour mark on a course similar to Achill...will do one more before the big day.

Regarding the whey Protein, i took it for for a few weeks and found it not to be any use, it is also quite expensive, might give the Amino Acid tablets a go, but as Ballinaman said, nothing can beat just getting the miles into the legs.
Going to give Clontarf a go instead, had a look at course and didn't know it's basically the same route I run most of the time.
Exactly Gaeilgoir, a consistent training block is key. Give me a fella who has been tipping away for 3 months than a guy who has been doing great sessions but interupted training schedule anyday.

Found these good, can get them in powder form that you can make a drink out of. Taken after training.

WT4E

You'll be sound. Huge numbers, all levels in it. It'll be a bit congested to prepare yourself for some bumper to bumper running for the first mile.

WT4E

Thanks Ballinaman

I'm going to target under 40 - hopefully I can do it!

muppet

Quote from: WT4E on June 03, 2014, 03:24:15 PM
Thanks Ballinaman

I'm going to target under 40 - hopefully I can do it!

Jebus man there will be a thousand people behind you! And that is assuming only 1,500 start.
MWWSI 2017

Hotshot Hamish

Quote from: WT4E on June 03, 2014, 12:59:15 PM
I just entered the Irish Runner 5 mile in Pheonix Park 28/6/14

First time I've entered a run bar a few fun runs for the local GAA clubs a few years ago. Starting to worry that maybe this is a serious race and I shouldn't be in it?  :-\

Wonder what he level is like in it?
Is this part of the Dublin race series in the build up to the marathon