Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CD

Quote from: WT4E on May 28, 2014, 05:27:02 PM
The thought of going out for a run use to turn me!

Its my night off on the programme I'm doing and I'm itching to go out anyway - WHATS WRONG WITH ME????

Good sign! Great night for it.

My dodgy knee has caused a glute spasm again. Bottom of my back is in absolute agony! My physio is booked up until early Friday - can't wait to have a grown man knead my buttock. A sentence I never anticipated writing. Sore :-[
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

ballinaman

Try this with a sliotar or tennis ball CD

http://youtu.be/J4-t9XHKGoo

CD

Quote from: ballinaman on May 28, 2014, 08:02:43 PM

Cheers BM - been at it the last three days - just can't release it this time - too deep - it happens every 6 months or so.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on May 28, 2014, 08:11:32 PM

Cheers BM - been at it the last three days - just can't release it this time - too deep - it happens every 6 months or so.

Be alright for Lisburn?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 28, 2014, 08:15:47 PM

Be alright for Lisburn?
Should be fine - it usually clears up pretty quickly after the spasm is released. My own fault - did too many miles in last ten days and didn't stretch or rest correctly. Should know better by now but I was feeling good so kept running.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on May 28, 2014, 08:18:20 PM

Be alright for Lisburn?
Should be fine - it usually clears up pretty quickly after the spasm is released. My own fault - did too many miles in last ten days and didn't stretch or rest correctly. Should know better by now but I was feeling good so kept running.

That's the thing, you think you are flying and then .....

I'm out for a wee six miler tomorrow at 6.45, not sure of route yet but hopefully it won't be to bad weather wise
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 28, 2014, 08:30:00 PM

Be alright for Lisburn?

I'm out for a wee six miler tomorrow at 6.45, not sure of route yet but hopefully it won't be to bad weather wise

How'd it go last night - you still thinking of Lisburn 1/2 or the 10k? Lads I've been talking to are all looking at the 10k. I'm edging that way myself.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on May 29, 2014, 08:33:36 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 28, 2014, 08:30:00 PM

Be alright for Lisburn?

How'd it go last night - you still thinking of Lisburn 1/2 or the 10k? Lads I've been talking to are all looking at the 10k. I'm edging that way myself.

Grand and feeling strong, no injuries touch wood. was with two other guys, they've 10 or more marathons between them and I was steady enough with them. Think I'm going to do the half marathon. My youngest looking to do the fun run so hopefully it will be a good day

Hotshot Hamish

Quote from: Bingo on May 26, 2014, 02:37:01 PM
Quote from: Hotshot Hamish on May 24, 2014, 07:47:01 AM
Long time reader first time poster here.Always kept an eye on this thread though.
I did a bit of running back in the day,but life,kids etc got in the way and I let it slip.I'm back running a few months now and half considering doing a marathon this year. I've done 2 before but that was with a few years running behind me. Would I be mad considering doing one this year after a 7/8 year break from running?  I'm over 40 now so the wife wants me to go to GP for a check before I start any training for it.

Its 22 weeks from today to Dublin, you know what is needed on the day from past experience, so its a matter of knowing yourself if you can commit to the next 22 weeks to give yourself a chance to get round on the day. You've a few months done, so the base is there.

Maybe try the half marathon in August and see how you feel from there. A check up does no harm.
Thanks for the advice Bingo

screenexile

Quote from: CD on May 28, 2014, 07:55:49 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 28, 2014, 05:27:02 PM
The thought of going out for a run use to turn me!

Its my night off on the programme I'm doing and I'm itching to go out anyway - WHATS WRONG WITH ME????

Good sign! Great night for it.

My dodgy knee has caused a glute spasm again. Bottom of my back is in absolute agony! My physio is booked up until early Friday - can't wait to have a grown man knead my buttock. A sentence I never anticipated writing. Sore :-[

Sounds like same that happened to me. Probably been overdoing it this last wbut I've been feeling really good until I tried to get out of the car on Wednesday morning and it just seized on me and I was in agony!

Went to the Pharmacist and knocked some Brufen into me and I was basically fine by that evening!

magpie seanie

Walked to the summitt of Knocknarea last evening. Running down it is going to be some craic. Hope it's not a wet day. Am completely torn about what footwear to go with. Guys I know who have done the Warriors several times say to just wear your regular running shoes. Other say to wear trail runners but how would they suit for the road?

Anyway, did a nice 5k this morning. Glorious morning for a run. Probably do a long run Sunday.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 30, 2014, 09:43:34 AM
Walked to the summitt of Knocknarea last evening. Running down it is going to be some craic. Hope it's not a wet day. Am completely torn about what footwear to go with. Guys I know who have done the Warriors several times say to just wear your regular running shoes. Other say to wear trail runners but how would they suit for the road?

Anyway, did a nice 5k this morning. Glorious morning for a run. Probably do a long run Sunday.

It depends on the weather on the day. You can't go wrong with trail runners on a run like that. You can with road runners, there is more risk with them but you could get by with them. It will depend also on how fast you plan to descent. I've a pair of trail runners and they are great for hard uneven surfaces and for grip on loose/mucky/downhill sections. They feel a bit strange at first on the road as they are flat and hard but they are 100% and as cushioned now. Plus they can be got relatively cheap.

You'd be very unlucky to suffer wearing road runners at that time of the year but if you plan on doing a bit of trail running or hill running in the future, nothing to lose with a pair of trail runners.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on May 30, 2014, 10:00:24 AM

It depends on the weather on the day. You can't go wrong with trail runners on a run like that. You can with road runners, there is more risk with them but you could get by with them. It will depend also on how fast you plan to descent. I've a pair of trail runners and they are great for hard uneven surfaces and for grip on loose/mucky/downhill sections. They feel a bit strange at first on the road as they are flat and hard but they are 100% and as cushioned now. Plus they can be got relatively cheap.

You'd be very unlucky to suffer wearing road runners at that time of the year but if you plan on doing a bit of trail running or hill running in the future, nothing to lose with a pair of trail runners.

Thanks Bingo. I'd just be worried about blisters or some other calamity. Most of the race is on road, about 11k+ of the 15k is on proper roads, the rest on mountain paths and worse. After last night I think I'll be taking the descent pretty handy. focus on my road running and treat the middle couple of miles as an obstable to be overcome.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 30, 2014, 10:18:14 AM
Quote from: Bingo on May 30, 2014, 10:00:24 AM

Thanks Bingo. I'd just be worried about blisters or some other calamity. Most of the race is on road, about 11k+ of the 15k is on proper roads, the rest on mountain paths and worse. After last night I think I'll be taking the descent pretty handy. focus on my road running and treat the middle couple of miles as an obstable to be overcome.

If you get them in advance and they are broke in, blisters not be a problem. Try the 4km part of the run on a nice dry day in the runners and you'll know how you feel on them.

The descent can be great coming down and its amazing how quick you get down. Was over in Westport and early morning I headed out to Croagh Patrick, was first up it that morning, running where I could (not very often!), I bombed down it in about 20 minutes and it was a great buzz, reckless at times but very enjoyable.

Hotshot Hamish

I see a few pages back people talking about heart rate monitors.
Lidl have a heart rate watch and chest strap on sale for €20 next week.  I wonder would it be any good.