Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2014, 12:52:55 PM

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 26, 2014, 12:39:32 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 26, 2014, 11:55:09 AM
The odd time I'd listen to a bit of music or a podcast but its hard to beat a bit of company on a run, even if just for the first few miles.

Last weekend did a 12miler with 4 others, 2 of the lads where for pushing the pace but myself and another lad said we'd ease off. We chatted the whole way round and the run flew by. On a lovely fresh Sunday morning it was mighty.

Know what you mean. Saturday was the farthest and by far the longesttime i've ran for but I did it at a handy pace and found I was sound after and the time flew.

I listen to the radio but depending on my pace the left earpiece falls out and puts me off ffs

Weather is perfect for a run now, might do my wee loop run (6 miles) but I'm spinning later and have planned to do my 13.1 miles tomorrow after work, don't want to do too much.                                                                                 

Exact same - its a total BIATCH!

Goin to buy wireless headphones - heopefuly this will sort the problem

CD

I like the sennheiser neckband headphones -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-PMX-685i-Neckband-Headphones/dp/B0094R4Q6Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401110598&sr=1-6&keywords=sennheiser+amazon

I wear a version of these that I picked up a couple of years ago. I'm on my third pair - first ones lasted about 5 years, next one about 6 months and I'm in year 2 with the current pair. They're expensive but I've never had problems with them falling out.

Like a few of you, I go through phases of listening to books and podcasts- keep resorting back to my ten year old ipod shuffle that hasn't been updated in six years - full of Joy Division, Clash, Thin Lizzy, Killers. Can't bate it!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Bingo

Quote from: Hotshot Hamish on May 24, 2014, 07:47:01 AM
Long time reader first time poster here.Always kept an eye on this thread though.
I did a bit of running back in the day,but life,kids etc got in the way and I let it slip.I'm back running a few months now and half considering doing a marathon this year. I've done 2 before but that was with a few years running behind me. Would I be mad considering doing one this year after a 7/8 year break from running?  I'm over 40 now so the wife wants me to go to GP for a check before I start any training for it.

Its 22 weeks from today to Dublin, you know what is needed on the day from past experience, so its a matter of knowing yourself if you can commit to the next 22 weeks to give yourself a chance to get round on the day. You've a few months done, so the base is there.

Maybe try the half marathon in August and see how you feel from there. A check up does no harm.

Milltown Row2

Played a hurling match tonight thought id lose pace because of the running but it was grand and was able to keep at it the whole match. Short sptints and twisting turning will hurt tomorrow no doubt but it great to still run out on the pitch.

All down to the running. Id be overweight and fecked if i didnt
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 27, 2014, 11:30:26 PM
Played a hurling match tonight thought id lose pace because of the running but it was grand and was able to keep at it the whole match. Short sptints and twisting turning will hurt tomorrow no doubt but it great to still run out on the pitch.

Had the same feelings/fears before I played a club football match a few weeks ago. Was amazed at how I could keep going though I probably shouldn't have been. Was sore after (stomach/core and of course arms/shoulders) so am bringing a nice, easy circuit into my training regime. A 7 minute workout app that can be done anywhere, repeat a few times as time allows.

Mayo4Sam

Ballinaman
You're dead right about a coach, I think you'll notice a big improvement, I see people that use them for tri and the difference is amazing

As for the marathon I might be tempted, I'm pretty much crocked at the minute, ligaments torn in my shoulder means I havent swam in five weeks, did a race at the weekend and limped through the swim but there is f**k all point in me limping through swims at this stage, I need to be going well in them if I'm to do well in races.
Then to add insult to injury I came off the bike coming into transition, cracked the carbon frame, €2,500 gone like that, getting it fixed isnt looking like an option its that cracked, sick.
Was 2nd at that stage, did a brutal run (33.30 for 8k) and was passed by two lads.

So I cant do cycle races cause if I come down on my shoulder i'll do serious damage, can only do triathlons where the swim is in a fast moving river (Athy this weekend and Ballina in July), so that leaves me with running
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 28, 2014, 10:03:44 AM
Ballinaman
You're dead right about a coach, I think you'll notice a big improvement, I see people that use them for tri and the difference is amazing

As for the marathon I might be tempted, I'm pretty much crocked at the minute, ligaments torn in my shoulder means I havent swam in five weeks, did a race at the weekend and limped through the swim but there is f**k all point in me limping through swims at this stage, I need to be going well in them if I'm to do well in races.
Then to add insult to injury I came off the bike coming into transition, cracked the carbon frame, €2,500 gone like that, getting it fixed isnt looking like an option its that cracked, sick.
Was 2nd at that stage, did a brutal run (33.30 for 8k) and was passed by two lads.

So I cant do cycle races cause if I come down on my shoulder i'll do serious damage, can only do triathlons where the swim is in a fast moving river (Athy this weekend and Ballina in July), so that leaves me with running

Is it different in a running river? Better than say lake and sea? I'd terrible open water swim I'd like to get out of my system before trying again, would the river swim be an option?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mayo4Sam

in a river there a current, majority of races take u with the current, so I'll knocked out the ballina swim in 8-9 minutes.
Athy I think does 600m with the current and then u turn and come back for the last 150
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 28, 2014, 10:45:00 AM
in a river there a current, majority of races take u with the current, so I'll knocked out the ballina swim in 8-9 minutes.
Athy I think does 600m with the current and then u turn and come back for the last 150

Its an option, I love doing them but I shit myself last time in the lake for whatever reason. Did Roe Valley at weekend and it was in the pool but I managed to beat my PB and did it in 16 mins for the 30 lengths. But in open water I'm slow

WT4E

Do you think overall does it hinder or help your football/hurling?

Would running a lot be better suited to a player in a certain position?

imtommygunn

FF line and FB line not much help...

Anywhere else I think it will help you a lot.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: WT4E on May 28, 2014, 11:14:38 AM

I started in FF line but played outfield for most of the game, obviously my age doesn't help but I was still going strong till the final whistle, I was breathing well throughout the game also and the fitness allowed me to be better focused on the ball. I wish I had this attitude 25 years ago ffs!!

WT4E

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 28, 2014, 02:22:47 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 28, 2014, 11:14:38 AM

I started in FF line but played outfield for most of the game, obviously my age doesn't help but I was still going strong till the final whistle, I was breathing well throughout the game also and the fitness allowed me to be better focused on the ball. I wish I had this attitude 25 years ago ffs!!

Yeah I presume its just a case of when doing running training you lose sharpness but increase stamina so therefore if you are in the middle sector you'll be great and if your in round the square you'll be found out.

laoislad

Some evening for a run. Stopped off in Phoenix Park on way home and done a nice 8k.
T'was fair warm!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

WT4E

The thought of going out for a run use to turn me!

Its my night off on the programme I'm doing and I'm itching to go out anyway - WHATS WRONG WITH ME????