Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on May 23, 2014, 05:34:49 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 23, 2014, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 23, 2014, 05:08:00 PM
Muppet/LL, Target yourselves a nice flat 5km road race and you's will both beat 25mins with something to spare based on your times above. A race will always get you home quicker.
My local park run in Lucan is pretty flat. Did it last Saturday and dunno what happened but was lucky to finish and felt like walking during it. That's why I was so surprised with my second 5k of the 10k the other night. It's funny the way it goes sometimes.
Gonna give the park run another bash tomorrow.

Out of interest, do you warm up before hand? Over that distance, a light 1km or so before hand would do the world of good, get the heartrate up, legs in a rhythm, breathing going etc. Could be that you blew out in early stages and never got the second wind as such.
Also is passing a problem in the parkrun? Sometimes in those type of runs, you spend time speeding up to pass someone and then slowing back down, messes up your pace as well.

Just a few thoughts on it. You'll beat it tomorrow though.
Not today unfortunately. I done a bit of warming up and it certainly helped as I recorded my fastest time around that course.
Getting closer though!
Might give it a break for a few weeks and get a bit of training in before I try it again.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on May 24, 2014, 10:38:37 AM
Quote from: Bingo on May 23, 2014, 05:34:49 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 23, 2014, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 23, 2014, 05:08:00 PM
Muppet/LL, Target yourselves a nice flat 5km road race and you's will both beat 25mins with something to spare based on your times above. A race will always get you home quicker.
My local park run in Lucan is pretty flat. Did it last Saturday and dunno what happened but was lucky to finish and felt like walking during it. That's why I was so surprised with my second 5k of the 10k the other night. It's funny the way it goes sometimes.
Gonna give the park run another bash tomorrow.

Out of interest, do you warm up before hand? Over that distance, a light 1km or so before hand would do the world of good, get the heartrate up, legs in a rhythm, breathing going etc. Could be that you blew out in early stages and never got the second wind as such.
Also is passing a problem in the parkrun? Sometimes in those type of runs, you spend time speeding up to pass someone and then slowing back down, messes up your pace as well.

Just a few thoughts on it. You'll beat it tomorrow though.
Not today unfortunately. I done a bit of warming up and it certainly helped as I recorded my fastest time around that course.
Getting closer though!
Might give it a break for a few weeks and get a bit of training in before I try it again.

It is great to see the times improving regularly. It'll come soon enough.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Did the mountain loop today which is approx 12k of the 15k Warriors Run route. Missed out the last bit up to the summit but some really tough hills. Took it very slow and all told went pretty ok. Plenty to work on but a good start.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 24, 2014, 08:36:28 PM
Did the mountain loop today which is approx 12k of the 15k Warriors Run route. Missed out the last bit up to the summit but some really tough hills. Took it very slow and all told went pretty ok. Plenty to work on but a good start.

Good man. It looks fairly brutal but you'll have no bother in August if you are doing 12k out of 15k now in May.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

No luck this time LL but it will come shortly.

Did the newry half today, nice new course in out and in from warrenpoint, as flat as you'd get. New PB to finish in 1.32.48, so happy out! Watching Donegal and Derry didn't help keeping me awake mind you!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on May 25, 2014, 03:55:53 PM

Did the newry half today, nice new course in out and in from warrenpoint, as flat as you'd get. New PB to finish in 1.32.48, so happy out! Watching Donegal and Derry didn't help keeping me awake mind you!

Doing Lisburn half Bingo? Looking to do it myself arond 1.40 I'd happy with, 1.32 is some going
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2014, 06:02:38 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 25, 2014, 03:55:53 PM

Doing Lisburn half Bingo? Looking to do it myself arond 1.40 I'd happy with, 1.32 is some going

Not sure yet, but have one eye on it and will see over the next week.

Very happy with the time, if I could shed a few pounds, I'd give sub 1.30 a good rattle. No idea how BM and the lads can do the full at that pace though.

WT4E

Having equipment issues at the minute.

My ears must be a funny type lol. (Don't mock please) The ear phones won't stay in and I've tried the ear phones with the hooks for around your ears and they aren't much better. I was thinking of purchasing some sort of wireless ones and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what would be best for me?

Also my arm strap for the iphone broke after only a few runs - anyone suggest a reliable comfortable one of these to purchase.

Thanks

Mayo4Sam

Stop listening to music!

I'd never dream of leaving the house with my phone or headphones, take in the sights, listen to your breathing, relax!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

WT4E

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 26, 2014, 10:45:39 AM
Stop listening to music!

I'd never dream of leaving the house with my phone or headphones, take in the sights, listen to your breathing, relax!

Not really for music, I can do without the music but its the info from the nike app I'm after. They tell you distance, time, pace etc every so often.

magpie seanie

When I started off I couldn't do without the music but now I'm not too bothered. I do like to have the option and usually listen to the radio or something. Listened to a good few politicians biting the dust on Saturday, helped me up some of the hills!

laoislad

Quote from: WT4E on May 26, 2014, 10:41:41 AM
Having equipment issues at the minute.

My ears must be a funny type lol. (Don't mock please) The ear phones won't stay in and I've tried the ear phones with the hooks for around your ears and they aren't much better. I was thinking of purchasing some sort of wireless ones and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what would be best for me?

Also my arm strap for the iphone broke after only a few runs - anyone suggest a reliable comfortable one of these to purchase.

Thanks
I use these and find them very good.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHQ3200-10-ActionFit-Headphones-Red-Black/dp/B008ZW2VAW

Like the other lads I couldn't do without music at the start but now it depends on my humour.
Podcasts are good to pass the time while running.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

The odd time I'd listen to a bit of music or a podcast but its hard to beat a bit of company on a run, even if just for the first few miles.

Last weekend did a 12miler with 4 others, 2 of the lads where for pushing the pace but myself and another lad said we'd ease off. We chatted the whole way round and the run flew by. On a lovely fresh Sunday morning it was mighty.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on May 26, 2014, 11:55:09 AM
The odd time I'd listen to a bit of music or a podcast but its hard to beat a bit of company on a run, even if just for the first few miles.

Last weekend did a 12miler with 4 others, 2 of the lads where for pushing the pace but myself and another lad said we'd ease off. We chatted the whole way round and the run flew by. On a lovely fresh Sunday morning it was mighty.

Know what you mean. Saturday was the farthest and by far the longesttime i've ran for but I did it at a handy pace and found I was sound after and the time flew.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 26, 2014, 12:39:32 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 26, 2014, 11:55:09 AM

Know what you mean. Saturday was the farthest and by far the longesttime i've ran for but I did it at a handy pace and found I was sound after and the time flew.

I listen to the radio but depending on my pace the left earpiece falls out and puts me off ffs

Weather is perfect for a run now, might do my wee loop run (6 miles) but I'm spinning later and have planned to do my 13.1 miles tomorrow after work, don't want to do too much.                                                                                 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea