Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on May 23, 2014, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 23, 2014, 05:08:00 PM
Muppet/LL, Target yourselves a nice flat 5km road race and you's will both beat 25mins with something to spare based on your times above. A race will always get you home quicker.
My local park run in Lucan is pretty flat. Did it last Saturday and dunno what happened but was lucky to finish and felt like walking during it. That's why I was so surprised with my second 5k of the 10k the other night. It's funny the way it goes sometimes.
Gonna give the park run another bash tomorrow.

Out of interest, do you warm up before hand? Over that distance, a light 1km or so before hand would do the world of good, get the heartrate up, legs in a rhythm, breathing going etc. Could be that you blew out in early stages and never got the second wind as such.
Also is passing a problem in the parkrun? Sometimes in those type of runs, you spend time speeding up to pass someone and then slowing back down, messes up your pace as well.

Just a few thoughts on it. You'll beat it tomorrow though.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on May 23, 2014, 05:34:49 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 23, 2014, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 23, 2014, 05:08:00 PM
Muppet/LL, Target yourselves a nice flat 5km road race and you's will both beat 25mins with something to spare based on your times above. A race will always get you home quicker.
My local park run in Lucan is pretty flat. Did it last Saturday and dunno what happened but was lucky to finish and felt like walking during it. That's why I was so surprised with my second 5k of the 10k the other night. It's funny the way it goes sometimes.
Gonna give the park run another bash tomorrow.

Out of interest, do you warm up before hand? Over that distance, a light 1km or so before hand would do the world of good, get the heartrate up, legs in a rhythm, breathing going etc. Could be that you blew out in early stages and never got the second wind as such.
Also is passing a problem in the parkrun? Sometimes in those type of runs, you spend time speeding up to pass someone and then slowing back down, messes up your pace as well.

Just a few thoughts on it. You'll beat it tomorrow though.
Loads of room to pass in fairness but no I don't warm up at all. I did actually wonder was the reason I got a better 2nd 5k split the other night was because I ran a steady first 5k so in other words I was well warmed up.
I only live a few mins from the park so I think I'll run up in the morning rather than drive! Might be enough to get me warmed up.
Thanks Bingo.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

CD

LL - I always do a fast enough 500 metres or so when I show up at parkrun just to get the legs going. This is about 7/8 minutes before the start - then a quick drink and a leak before heading to the start. I only started doing it as I saw the fast lads at it so it must be worthwhile! Definitely think it helps me.

WT4E - that's pretty much the time I ran my first one in - now I'm getting close to 20 minutes and running under 21 regularly. Did my first one in November past. It took me a dozen runs to sort out my pace and strategy and I'm sure I can still knock 30 seconds off it with a bit more know-how. I learn something new every time I run. This week I learned not to do a 10km race a 17k run and an 11k fast run in 5 days! Calf muscles are killing me! Going to treat my parkrun tomorrow as a stretching session!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

WT4E

Quote from: muppet on May 23, 2014, 05:05:07 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 23, 2014, 05:00:04 PM
Was just reading through some of this.

I downloaded nike app a couple of years ago and took into running but gave up after a while but have got back into this last month or so - so decided to run a 5k to see how quick I could do it.

I did it in 23:48 - how does this rank in the grand scheme of things - will I be able to knock much more of this?

Depends on a few things obviously such as your age and if you are playing any football/hurling these days etc.

To me that is a good time but there are lads here who would be thinking 19 mins for 5k. If that is your first real attempt I see no reason why you couldn't knock a few minutes off 23:48. Good luck with it.

Yeah I played football for a good while but only getting back into it since end of last season. I wouldn't say I'm very heavy but I have weight on anyway lol. So hopefully with more practice and drop some pounds I should be able to go lower. Thanks for the input!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on May 23, 2014, 07:42:45 PM
LL - I always do a fast enough 500 metres or so when I show up at parkrun just to get the legs going. This is about 7/8 minutes before the start - then a quick drink and a leak before heading to the start. I only started doing it as I saw the fast lads at it so it must be worthwhile! Definitely think it helps me.

WT4E - that's pretty much the time I ran my first one in - now I'm getting close to 20 minutes and running under 21 regularly. Did my first one in November past. It took me a dozen runs to sort out my pace and strategy and I'm sure I can still knock 30 seconds off it with a bit more know-how. I learn something new every time I run. This week I learned not to do a 10km race a 17k run and an 11k fast run in 5 days! Calf muscles are killing me! Going to treat my parkrun tomorrow as a stretching session!

Where do you do your Parkrun CD? I'm looking to do a a flat one to get below 20mins. I reckon its close currently at 20.25
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Victoria is flat as a pancake mr.

You need a warmup before a race otherwise will take you a while to get into it and you'll lose time.

A k or a mile warm up then strides or like cd does with 200 or 400 faster. Stretches the lungs and the legs.

CD

Queens MR - up at the Dub - it's a hilly course. I've been told that Victoria Park is the fastest followed by Ormeau Park. I want to beat 20 minutes on my 'home turf' before I go off to do any others - don't want my PB to be on another spot. I'd feel like I was cheating!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on May 23, 2014, 08:01:56 PM
Queens MR - up at the Dub - it's a hilly course. I've been told that Victoria Park is the fastest followed by Ormeau Park. I want to beat 20 minutes on my 'home turf' before I go off to do any others - don't want my PB to be on another spot. I'd feel like I was cheating!
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2014, 07:59:14 PM
Victoria is flat as a pancake mr.

You need a warmup before a race otherwise will take you a while to get into it and you'll lose time.

A k or a mile warm up then strides or like cd does with 200 or 400 faster. Stretches the lungs and the legs.

Will have to give Victoria a go some morning, racing tomorrow in Limavady so no fecking beers/wine tonight!!

Always give the pond a run around or two at the Waterparks when I a do theirs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Lads - just been reading about the muscle relaxing qualities of Epsom salts. Anyone use them post long runs? Do they work at all or is it some kind of placebo effect?

imtommygunn

Ever take recovery drinks cd? Stuff called rego is good. Protein and carbs straight after. Works well. Haven't tried the salts.

My quickest parkrun is ormeau-4 seconds ahead waterworks, 40 queens and a minute off victoria though stopped to tie lace!

Victoria park now 9:30 too. Used to be 9.

CD

Never tried recovery drinks - have tried recovering by attempting to eat everything in the kitchen after some runs!! I've found a pint of milk tends to work for me - stops me from craving unhealthy food after a longer run.

It'd be nice if somewhere in the city went off an hour earlier - my wife has started running again after a year off to have baby no3 so we're taking it week about. It's going to take me much longer than I thought to get that 50 t-shirt!!

imtommygunn

Ha, yeah i would eat all round me too. The recovery stuff more helpful for maybe the next day.

At 25 myself so will be a while too!

Hotshot Hamish

Long time reader first time poster here.Always kept an eye on this thread though.
I did a bit of running back in the day,but life,kids etc got in the way and I let it slip.I'm back running a few months now and half considering doing a marathon this year. I've done 2 before but that was with a few years running behind me. Would I be mad considering doing one this year after a 7/8 year break from running?  I'm over 40 now so the wife wants me to go to GP for a check before I start any training for it.

Hotshot Hamish

Also I see a few guys mention gps watches here.
Garmin,Nike are they all basically the same?

I'm a bit of a stats nerd so would want one that comes with a good software package.
Years ago I use to hop in the car after a run and measure the distance that way  ;D

quit yo jibbajabba

ive nowt to offer other than "love the username" :-)