Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

An Gaeilgoir, we all have bad races, literally everyone, it sounds like you havent raced since which could be the issue.
I race maybe 20 times in the year across various disciplines, it teachs you that one bad one and you just put it behind you. last year I won a swim race on the Saturday, went out the Wednesday nite for an aquathon and my googles kept filling up, had an absolute stinker. Literally happens to everyone, even when you think you're flying.
I'd suggest, and maybe the other lads will disagree, but racing a bit more, a few 5k or 10k to build up to your main race for the year. Helps with preparation, nerves, routine
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on May 21, 2014, 09:59:38 PM
Quote from: CD on May 18, 2014, 11:10:57 AM
17 km this morning 1 hr 25 dead - lovely morning for a run! Confidence restored! Think I'll have to attempt the Lisburn half marathon - I'll have to wait to see how the wee legs are feeling in the morning! Now for Omaigh to watch the match!

Regarding the confidence thing, i did Connemara in April, i collapsed at the finish and got really sick, my blood sugar was really low, it was a tough race, headwind and rain most of the way...anyway, i lost all confidence and interest in running, Have Achill in 6 weeks, so decided to grasp the nettle tonight and went out and did a 13 miler close to my PB, most of the confidence is now back, but still have a few nagging doubts....anyone suffered from this and will it pass...

Never keeled over Gaelgóir but I ve had a few 'never again' experiences. Last year Dublin marathon was a miserable experience and only over it now really. Have done few 5Ks and 10 Ks since and gradually got a bit of confidence back. I also got my 'back' sorted and I did a pb in the River Moy half last Saturday and never had such an easy run in my life.
After Connemara ( I did it once and it s brutal - in fact I know a lad that ended up in 2 ambulances on that mountain ;D) you re picking another difficult challenge in Achill. I m avoiding Achill this year because apart from the expense it s too tough to get a time and I think I might have a good run in me in a few weeks on a flattish course. Pity you didn t do the Moy half Gaelgóir. Nice easy route as these things go and the conditions were almost ideal.

imtommygunn

When you say sick do you just mean for a short bit after the race or do you mean for a longer period of time?

I have been close to collapse once maybe twice and a boy who trains with us has collapsed twice at races needing an ambulance in addition to a few being in ambulances post marathon. N.B. While that sounds extreme it's a very small percentage.

If you're pushing your body to the limits then that's what happens I guess. Also I guess part of it comes down to preparation too and the body not being prepared for what hits it.

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on May 22, 2014, 12:22:52 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on May 21, 2014, 09:59:38 PM
Quote from: CD on May 18, 2014, 11:10:57 AM
17 km this morning 1 hr 25 dead - lovely morning for a run! Confidence restored! Think I'll have to attempt the Lisburn half marathon - I'll have to wait to see how the wee legs are feeling in the morning! Now for Omaigh to watch the match!

Regarding the confidence thing, i did Connemara in April, i collapsed at the finish and got really sick, my blood sugar was really low, it was a tough race, headwind and rain most of the way...anyway, i lost all confidence and interest in running, Have Achill in 6 weeks, so decided to grasp the nettle tonight and went out and did a 13 miler close to my PB, most of the confidence is now back, but still have a few nagging doubts....anyone suffered from this and will it pass...

Never keeled over Gaelgóir but I ve had a few 'never again' experiences. Last year Dublin marathon was a miserable experience and only over it now really. Have done few 5Ks and 10 Ks since and gradually got a bit of confidence back. I also got my 'back' sorted and I did a pb in the River Moy half last Saturday and never had such an easy run in my life.
After Connemara ( I did it once and it s brutal - in fact I know a lad that ended up in 2 ambulances on that mountain ;D) you re picking another difficult challenge in Achill. I m avoiding Achill this year because apart from the expense it s too tough to get a time and I think I might have a good run in me in a few weeks on a flattish course. Pity you didn t do the Moy half Gaelgóir. Nice easy route as these things go and the conditions were almost ideal.
Gaelgóir - It's normal for the confidence to take a bit of a hit and to have doubts after an experience like that. I've had it a few times, everyone can have a bad day.
Key is to learn from it, watch your hydration and diet the few days before a race this time. I wouldn't even worry about trying to get a PB in Achill, just try to get the mojo back and make your finish strong....nothing more of a sickner than running out of gas with 5 miles left and limping over the line. Achill is a challenging course, long gradual rise for the first 3 or 4 miles and an absolute clinker of a hill at 10 miles.

Congrats on the PB Moy. I was down at the soccer dressing rooms to see the leader until the 1.30 group pass, had to make shapes then as I was needed elsewhere. Great crowd yet again, much better race than Achill. Few years time I reckon it'll be the top half marathon in the west.
I'm thinking about Achill this year as I'm looking for a half marathon in July, not many around...if any at all other than Achill though.

magpie seanie

My job is like a marathon where you reach the 25 mile point and someone there transports you back to the start.

magpie seanie

On a more positive note got registered for the Warriors Run in August. Queued last night in Strandhill to no avail for one of the 300 spots available for the onsite registration so it was 4pm today and the lottery of online registration (550 places). Thankfully I got in. Was sold out in less than 10 minutes.

Amazing scramble for torture! And paying 40 lids for the pleasure too!

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2014, 05:51:36 PM
On a more positive note got registered for the Warriors Run in August. Queued last night in Strandhill to no avail for one of the 300 spots available for the onsite registration so it was 4pm today and the lottery of online registration (550 places). Thankfully I got in. Was sold out in less than 10 minutes.

Amazing scramble for torture! And paying 40 lids for the pleasure too!
Was just reading about this warrior run! Feck rather you than me.
You'd need plenty of stubbornness to get you through. . I'm sure you will be fine so  ;D
Best of luck!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

You'll enjoy that Warrior run Seanie, nothing like a local race to motivate the training.

I know that have run it and said that the rip after it is work the effort alone. Seems to be a festival round it or is it round the festival?

Newry Half on Sunday morning, looking forward to it, in two minds about time to target but will likely decide on the start line  :o

muppet

Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2014, 03:58:57 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 07, 2014, 03:40:39 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2014, 01:19:57 PM
Some great posts here in the last few days and some great achievements. Well done to all involved, especially TYP, Bingo, BM and ITG.

I did 24:40 for 5k on a treadmill with an average incline of 0.5%. The heart monitor is actually very helpful in this regard because while my legs and head were complaining, my thick side was saying that I was nowhere near the max HR and to shut up and keep running. :D
Does this count as breaking 25 for 5k?

First question: I don't know. I want to back it up with a proper run before I claim I did it.

24:48 5K in the wind and rain. Finally.

Ran along the coast, north of Bull Island towards Howth and back. A bit exposed but totally flat. I was particularly happy with 7:39 for the 3rd mile with the wind on my back. I will admit I was wrecked afterwards. None of the 'I felt I could run on some more' after that one.

Now for that 55 min 10k.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on May 23, 2014, 04:27:02 PM
Some great posts here in the last few days and some great achievements. Well done to all involved, especially TYP, Bingo, BM and ITG.

I did 24:40 for 5k on a treadmill with an average incline of 0.5%. The heart monitor is actually very helpful in this regard because while my legs and head were complaining, my thick side was saying that I was nowhere near the max HR and to shut up and keep running. :D

First question: I don't know. I want to back it up with a proper run before I claim I did it.

Ran along the coast, north of Bull Island towards Howth and back. A bit exposed but totally flat. I was particularly happy with 7:39 for the 3rd mile with the wind on my back. I will admit I was wrecked afterwards. None of the 'I felt I could run on some more' after that one.

Now for that 55 min 10k.
b**tard!!!!!
Ah no well done and fair play.  You've come some distance since your first few failed attempts at  completing couch to 5 k.
I did a 10k Wednesday night. Took it easy enough for first 5k around 27mins but did the second half of the 10k in 25.20 which is only 6 seconds off my 5k personal best which brought me in just over 52min for the 10k.
I'd say you'd break 55 for 10k easily enough soon.
Hopefully the 25min 5k barrier will be broken by me soon enough.
Have to say taking up running is one of the best things I've ever done. Really wish I started 10 years ago though.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on May 23, 2014, 04:32:18 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 23, 2014, 04:27:02 PM

Now for that 55 min 10k.
b**tard!!!!!
Ah no well done and fair play.  You've come some distance since your first few failed attempts at  completing couch to 5 k.
I did a 10k Wednesday night. Took it easy enough for first 5k around 27mins but did the second half of the 10k in 25.20 which is only 6 seconds off my 5k personal best.
Hopefully the 25min 5k barrier will be broken soon enough.

Jebus, with that split you will nail it if you are anyway right.

Very good 10k time as well.
MWWSI 2017

WT4E

Was just reading through some of this.

I downloaded nike app a couple of years ago and took into running but gave up after a while but have got back into this last month or so - so decided to run a 5k to see how quick I could do it.

I did it in 23:48 - how does this rank in the grand scheme of things - will I be able to knock much more of this?

muppet

Quote from: WT4E on May 23, 2014, 05:00:04 PM
Was just reading through some of this.

I downloaded nike app a couple of years ago and took into running but gave up after a while but have got back into this last month or so - so decided to run a 5k to see how quick I could do it.

I did it in 23:48 - how does this rank in the grand scheme of things - will I be able to knock much more of this?

Depends on a few things obviously such as your age and if you are playing any football/hurling these days etc.

To me that is a good time but there are lads here who would be thinking 19 mins for 5k. If that is your first real attempt I see no reason why you couldn't knock a few minutes off 23:48. Good luck with it.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Muppet/LL, Target yourselves a nice flat 5km road race and you's will both beat 25mins with something to spare based on your times above. A race will always get you home quicker.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on May 23, 2014, 05:08:00 PM
Muppet/LL, Target yourselves a nice flat 5km road race and you's will both beat 25mins with something to spare based on your times above. A race will always get you home quicker.
My local park run in Lucan is pretty flat. Did it last Saturday and dunno what happened but was lucky to finish and felt like walking during it. That's why I was so surprised with my second 5k of the 10k the other night. It's funny the way it goes sometimes.
Gonna give the park run another bash tomorrow.