Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on May 17, 2014, 02:21:06 PM
Ran a slow 6k & 10k on thurs & fri and am hoping I didn't overdo it for tomorrow's 5 mile. Was planning to aim just to finish but obviously if I can jog an easy 10k yesterday without any bother, I should be aiming a bit higher than just finishing an 8k.

If I break 50 mins I will be happy enough and anything else will be a bonus.

I have been reading all the posts regarding the marathon training and the marathon race series coming up, with great interest. The sizeable idiot in my head is very keen. We will see how tomorrow goes first though. One step at a time.
Do it you know you want too!
Pick a training plan and see how it goes. I'm gonna use a Hal Higdon one but not sure which one yet.
We'll all be training at the same time albeit with different training plans and finish time goals but will be a help to have others doing it as we progress through the weeks.
Sure you're not far off doing a half as it is, didnt you run 16km one day?
Oh and best of luck tomorrow it's a great buzz finishing your first official race.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Yes good luck Muppet - you've done the training now so go out and enjoy it.

CD

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 17, 2014, 03:08:06 PM
Quote from: CD on May 17, 2014, 02:34:42 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 17, 2014, 02:21:06 PM
Ran a slow 6k & 10k on thurs & fri and am hoping I didn't overdo it for tomorrow's 5 mile. Was planning to aim just to finish but obviously if I can jog an easy 10k yesterday without any bother, I should be aiming a bit higher than just finishing an 8k.

If I break 50 mins I will be happy enough and anything else will be a bonus.

I have been reading all the posts regarding the marathon training and the marathon race series coming up, with great interest. The sizeable idiot in my head is very keen. We will see how tomorrow goes first though. One step at a time.

Good luck with that tomorrow Muppet! You're making some progress. A wee seed has been planted in my own head re. Dublin in October. Think i'll attempt a 1/2 marathon next month and if I feel ok progress to a training program.

Ran Les Jones 10k road race last night in Belfast. Was a fairly sweaty affair. Ran around 7.05 in mile 1 and 2, then 7.20 and 7.40 but got caught out by a really nasty hill at mile five which absolutely knocked the stuffing out of me for the last two miles. I was nearly cocky up until that hill, thinking I'd have enough left to run a 7 minute mile to finish but it really put manners on me! Didn't have a single ounce of energy left in me and felt like I had a hangover this morning. There were no drinks on offer until the end and in such a hot night I think i let myself get dehydrated. Been on the dioralyte today but still feel really shaky.

That aside - really lovely run and extremely competitive field. Noticed the quickest finishers were all a couple of minutes slower than their usual 10k times so the heat and hills seem to have taken their toll on everyone.

CD that is a really good race but not a PB race with that hill. It's hard to gauge whether to go slow before it or not. I was down watching and there were quite a few walking the hill as there would be every year. Did it last year and was surprised how drained I was after the hill. I wouldn't judge too much on that one race. Good one to do though and good time. You'll be much faster elsewhere.

To illustrate how tough it is I passed a guy on the hill one year and there was a funny noise coming from his direction. The noise was him throwing up over himself as he ran up the hill...

Cheers Tommy - I actually ran the hill fairly well and passed a load of walkers on it  - the problem is, they all passed me inside a kilometre. It took so much out of me I felt like I was running backwards after it! I'll just have to put it down to experience.

I'll have to test myself over a 12 mile in the next few weeks MR just to see what's possible! It's terrible what peer pressure can get us into!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

CD

17 km this morning 1 hr 25 dead - lovely morning for a run! Confidence restored! Think I'll have to attempt the Lisburn half marathon - I'll have to wait to see how the wee legs are feeling in the morning! Now for Omaigh to watch the match!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Did 4 miles today, was pleased with that as I and the Mrs were in Belfast on the lash!! As yo say CD brill morning for a run

Legs are aching from a tough weights session I did on the legs during the week, I hope that's all it is and I've no aches for Sat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Just back from about 11 mile or so. Nice morning for a run. Used to do very hilly long runs but haven't been able to convince the group back on the hills for a while so feels easy enough at the minute! First >40 mile week in a long long time which is good although on minus side niggly achilles getting stiff again >:( Will have to get plenty of stretching / strength done on it.

Good luck to those racing today.

muppet

First official run done. Really well organised and a nice surface to run on as well. Pretty flat too.

I started right at the back and took it handy enough at the start.

Passed half way at around 22:30 and did the 2nd half slightly quicker in about 22:10.

Finished 5 miles officially in under 45 mins (chip time) so I am delighted with that.

Thanks for all the tips. The heart rate monitor is the way to go. I planned to run at 80 - 85%, which worked a treat, but at 6k I felt fine so ignored the 'slow down' in my ears and finished well (for me).
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on May 18, 2014, 01:34:59 PM
First official run done. Really well organised and a nice surface to run on as well. Pretty flat too.

Passed half way at around 22:30 and did the 2nd half slightly quicker in about 22:10.

Finished 5 miles officially in under 45 mins (chip time) so I am delighted with that.

Thanks for all the tips. The heart rate monitor is the way to go. I planned to run at 80 - 85%, which worked a treat, but at 6k I felt fine so ignored the 'slow down' in my ears and finished well (for me).

Good stuff, Dublin next ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Great stuff Muppet. Heart rate is for training and can be used for the first bit of a race to make sure you don't blow up. After half way best to forget about it and just push as much as you can!

the Deel Rover

Fair play muppet well done.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 18, 2014, 01:46:09 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 18, 2014, 01:34:59 PM

Good stuff, Dublin next ;)

Jebus!

10k next I'd say. Might try a half later in the summer if things go well.
MWWSI 2017

Never beat the deeler

Well done muppet - I'd say your avg pace for the race is PB range.

Got my heart monitor a couple of days ago - got the Polar wearlink as I am using a Nike + watch and they're compatible.

Does anyone have experience of using this gear - couldn't get them to work together. The watch picks up the monitor but now it can't pick up the bloody satellites. So because it can't pick up the satellites, you cant start a run.

I'm hoping it may be either - software update required, or too much memory used on the watch to run both systems. Will plug in to the computer and see if I can remove the old data that is already uploaded to the website.....

Have tried to contact Nike+ previously, and if you're not in the states its hard to get any sense out of them

Anyway, did some interval training (minute on, uphill, minute off) so I hadn't wasted the whole effort!

4km road race on Sunday - don't feel very prepared - was going to do the 12 but haven't enough kms under my belt.
Haven't run this distance before and dont know what time to expect, would be hoping to be comfortably under 24mins
Hasta la victoria siempre

laoislad

I use the nike plus watch also.
It takes a few minutes to pick up a GPS signal but it always will eventually.
I had an issue with something a few months ago and contacted them via twitter and they got back to me pretty quickly in fairness to them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: laoislad on May 21, 2014, 07:11:56 AM
I use the nike plus watch also.
It takes a few minutes to pick up a GPS signal but it always will eventually.
I had an issue with something a few months ago and contacted them via twitter and they got back to me pretty quickly in fairness to them.

Do you use the Polar HR monitor along with it?
Never had any issues picking up the satellites before (used to take maybe 15-30secs) , as soon as I link the monitor to the watch it can't find the satellite.

I left it searching for nearly 5 minutes but nothing.

They have just contacted me with the standard troubleshooting response. Maybe the issue was that I wasnt standing still when trying to link
Hasta la victoria siempre

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: CD on May 18, 2014, 11:10:57 AM
17 km this morning 1 hr 25 dead - lovely morning for a run! Confidence restored! Think I'll have to attempt the Lisburn half marathon - I'll have to wait to see how the wee legs are feeling in the morning! Now for Omaigh to watch the match!

Regarding the confidence thing, i did Connemara in April, i collapsed at the finish and got really sick, my blood sugar was really low, it was a tough race, headwind and rain most of the way...anyway, i lost all confidence and interest in running, Have Achill in 6 weeks, so decided to grasp the nettle tonight and went out and did a 13 miler close to my PB, most of the confidence is now back, but still have a few nagging doubts....anyone suffered from this and will it pass...