Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on May 14, 2014, 12:17:48 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 14, 2014, 12:12:12 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 14, 2014, 11:57:41 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 14, 2014, 11:32:03 AM
5 miler on June 28th or 10k on July 20th in the Dublin series.

I wouldn't mind doing one of those as it's round the time I reckon I'll be back in race shape.
Race shape! I'll just be happy to be in able to bend down to tie my running shoes shape.....!

Lol. Once you get your treadmill be no stopping you sure.

and he turns off these webcams  ;)

Still undecided on getting a treadmill.
Made more time for myself this past week and have ran more miles than in the whole of the last month.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Refereed a game tonight, ran 4.2 miles, what would the average club player run in a game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2014, 10:56:40 PM
Refereed a game tonight, ran 4.2 miles, what would the average club player run in a game
Not sure about club but there is this.......

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on May 14, 2014, 11:01:45 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2014, 10:56:40 PM
Not sure about club but there is this.......

Suppose that be close enough, could probably have ran more but it was a short a fecking pitch. That would be the county players I'd imagine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on May 16, 2014, 12:22:38 PM
Whats the nature of seminar? Injury related or training related? If its a plan for a marathon I'd be interested in having a look provided its not a sub 2.45hr plan or even a sub 3hr plan. Well, not this year. PS i'm near certain the DCM is the 27th October, so you have an extra week.
Right you are, it's the 27th. Happy days.

It'll be on how to construct a training plan, general advice and race preparation techniques. How to go about the processes of obtaining a target. Many people aim for a target time...say 4hrs without a plan an idea of whats necessary to hit that time.There will be an injury prevention portion that another colleague will take as well. Still in planning phase yet but will let ye know.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on May 16, 2014, 12:31:38 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 16, 2014, 12:22:38 PM
Whats the nature of seminar? Injury related or training related? If its a plan for a marathon I'd be interested in having a look provided its not a sub 2.45hr plan or even a sub 3hr plan. Well, not this year. PS i'm near certain the DCM is the 27th October, so you have an extra week.
Right you are, it's the 27th. Happy days.

It'll be on how to construct a training plan, general advice and race preparation techniques. How to go about the processes of obtaining a target. Many people aim for a target time...say 4hrs without a plan an idea of whats necessary to hit that time.There will be an injury prevention portion that another colleague will take as well. Still in planning phase yet but will let ye know.

Sounds interesting, would be interested in having a look if its something that can be shared.

Injury prevention very important  ;)  :'(

magpie seanie

Speaking of injury prevention - went for a walk (work thing) on Wednesday in the woods on gravel paths and wore an old pair of trainers. I didn't realise how crap they were until half way into the walk. Had a few mild pains yesterday but thought little of it and took off last night for one of my loops near home, a 7k one at a casual pace. From the driveway I felt crap. Legs heavy and one or two worrying twinges. Nursed myself round - breathing was fine but legs, especially calf muscles, felt like cement blocks. Think I dodged a bullet because I feel ok today but a good job I didn't push it on the way round. Ran about 10 min mile pace. I'm assuming the long walk on the dodgy surface with the bad trainers was what was the problem.

No1

I'm going to be in Westport for a wedding next weekend and want to try and get an easy 10k run in on the Saturday morning*.  Any suggestions for a decent route rather than running 3 mile out from the hotel and turning round to head straight back?

*Dependent on Friday night pints!

muppet

Ran a slow 6k & 10k on thurs & fri and am hoping I didn't overdo it for tomorrow's 5 mile. Was planning to aim just to finish but obviously if I can jog an easy 10k yesterday without any bother, I should be aiming a bit higher than just finishing an 8k.

If I break 50 mins I will be happy enough and anything else will be a bonus.

I have been reading all the posts regarding the marathon training and the marathon race series coming up, with great interest. The sizeable idiot in my head is very keen. We will see how tomorrow goes first though. One step at a time.
MWWSI 2017

CD

Quote from: muppet on May 17, 2014, 02:21:06 PM
Ran a slow 6k & 10k on thurs & fri and am hoping I didn't overdo it for tomorrow's 5 mile. Was planning to aim just to finish but obviously if I can jog an easy 10k yesterday without any bother, I should be aiming a bit higher than just finishing an 8k.

I have been reading all the posts regarding the marathon training and the marathon race series coming up, with great interest. The sizeable idiot in my head is very keen. We will see how tomorrow goes first though. One step at a time.

Good luck with that tomorrow Muppet! You're making some progress. A wee seed has been planted in my own head re. Dublin in October. Think i'll attempt a 1/2 marathon next month and if I feel ok progress to a training program.

Ran Les Jones 10k road race last night in Belfast. Was a fairly sweaty affair. Ran around 7.05 in mile 1 and 2, then 7.20 and 7.40 but got caught out by a really nasty hill at mile five which absolutely knocked the stuffing out of me for the last two miles. I was nearly cocky up until that hill, thinking I'd have enough left to run a 7 minute mile to finish but it really put manners on me! Didn't have a single ounce of energy left in me and felt like I had a hangover this morning. There were no drinks on offer until the end and in such a hot night I think i let myself get dehydrated. Been on the dioralyte today but still feel really shaky.

That aside - really lovely run and extremely competitive field. Noticed the quickest finishers were all a couple of minutes slower than their usual 10k times so the heat and hills seem to have taken their toll on everyone.

Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on May 17, 2014, 02:34:42 PM

Good luck with that tomorrow Muppet! You're making some progress. A wee seed has been planted in my own head re. Dublin in October. Think i'll attempt a 1/2 marathon next month and if I feel ok progress to a training program.

Ran Les Jones 10k road race last night in Belfast. Was a fairly sweaty affair. Ran around 7.05 in mile 1 and 2, then 7.20 and 7.40 but got caught out by a really nasty hill at mile five which absolutely knocked the stuffing out of me for the last two miles. I was nearly cocky up until that hill, thinking I'd have enough left to run a 7 minute mile to finish but it really put manners on me! Didn't have a single ounce of energy left in me and felt like I had a hangover this morning. There were no drinks on offer until the end and in such a hot night I think i let myself get dehydrated. Been on the dioralyte today but still feel really shaky.

That aside - really lovely run and extremely competitive field. Noticed the quickest finishers were all a couple of minutes slower than their usual 10k times so the heat and hills seem to have taken their toll on everyone.

Did realise there was a race last night, would have been interested though wouldn't have went full pelt as I'm keeping the calf wrapped up for Sat in the Roe Valley, the hills really feck you over, you doing Lisburn Half? I'm looking at it and considering it, but want to make sure the calf is good as the distance and pace will screw me over. Managed two 5k's this week and finished very strong after tentative starts, so maybe it's holding out. Were you happy with your time?

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2014, 02:52:53 PM

Did realise there was a race last night, would have been interested though wouldn't have went full pelt as I'm keeping the calf wrapped up for Sat in the Roe Valley, the hills really feck you over, you doing Lisburn Half? I'm looking at it and considering it, but want to make sure the calf is good as the distance and pace will screw me over. Managed two 5k's this week and finished very strong after tentative starts, so maybe it's holding out. Were you happy with your time?

Finished in 47.08 MR. Was happy enough I suppose as the course was harder than Titanic for example but I had hoped to get a bit faster with each one I've done. Disappointed that I feel so drained today - makes me wonder at my ability to run twice that distance. Thinking about the half but leaning towards the 10k now. Have a very busy few weeks at work ahead as well so I won't be able to train as much in the next few weeks.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

You'll be grand soon. Get a big feed into you, be well deserved. After next weeks triathlon I'll go along the toe path and do 13.1 miles just to give me an idea before registering. Lad at gym who's a great runner is looking me to do half. I fall for peer pressure every time lol

imtommygunn

CD that is a really good race but not a PB race with that hill. It's hard to gauge whether to go slow before it or not. I was down watching and there were quite a few walking the hill as there would be every year. Did it last year and was surprised how drained I was after the hill. I wouldn't judge too much on that one race. Good one to do though and good time. You'll be much faster elsewhere.

To illustrate how tough it is I passed a guy on the hill one year and there was a funny noise coming from his direction. The noise was him throwing up over himself as he ran up the hill...

andoireabu

Headed out this morning after planning a 10k route on google.  Used walking directions to get the distance for short cuts and parks etc.  Got about 3/4 of the way round and the ipod was telling me I had covered 9.5km already!  Took a shortcut home and still finished at over 11km.  Think I was around the 53 minute mark for 10k so am pretty happy with that.  Dublin is getting to be more than an idea at this stage.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!