Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Have about 500km on current runners. I notice they are all worn down on the inside of the foot.
Reading about it on google it tells me that means I'm a over pronator.
Is anyone else like this and what running shoes do you wear?
Is this something I should try to fix or is it just they way it is and not worry about it?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: charlieTully on May 11, 2014, 08:19:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2014, 04:58:27 PM
Quote from: CD on May 11, 2014, 09:44:45 AM
Almost a sense of relief from posters on the board when they get out on a run, whether it goes well or not! The traffic on this thread is certainly growing which is great to see - more and more people getting out and getting moving. As well as the obvious physical benefits the knock on effects are fantastic. I've started thinking more and more about my diet, our mad house is now functioning like a well oiled machine as both Mrs CD and I try to organise our running around the wee ones (our four year old is mad to come with us), and I actually have way more energy. As a few lads have commented recently, it's really good for the head as well! Nothing feeds the soul like coming home after a tough 10mile or setting a PB at parkrun. Its all good!

Many thanks to the experts on here who constantly dole out great advice and tips and the motivational stories of your marathon endeavours!

Next in the pipeline for me is Les Jones 10k then Lisburn - still not sure if I'll tackle the 10k or the half marathon. Anyone else up for these two?

Looking to do the Lisburn half, calf injury at the moment and have Triathlon at end of month so need to have a look and see whats best. Probably settle for the 10k

I'm doing the lisburn 10k as well, race you for a tenner.

We'd need to have age and height brought into it, I'm a small old man ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

charlieTully

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2014, 10:24:56 PM
Almost a sense of relief from posters on the board when they get out on a run, whether it goes well or not! The traffic on this thread is certainly growing which is great to see - more and more people getting out and getting moving. As well as the obvious physical benefits the knock on effects are fantastic. I've started thinking more and more about my diet, our mad house is now functioning like a well oiled machine as both Mrs CD and I try to organise our running around the wee ones (our four year old is mad to come with us), and I actually have way more energy. As a few lads have commented recently, it's really good for the head as well! Nothing feeds the soul like coming home after a tough 10mile or setting a PB at parkrun. Its all good!

Many thanks to the experts on here who constantly dole out great advice and tips and the motivational stories of your marathon endeavours!

Next in the pipeline for me is Les Jones 10k then Lisburn - still not sure if I'll tackle the 10k or the half marathon. Anyone else up for these two?

Looking to do the Lisburn half, calf injury at the moment and have Triathlon at end of month so need to have a look and see whats best. Probably settle for the 10k

i was thinking you could give me a 10-12 min handicap, im a novice. plus im a fat fook.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: charlieTully on May 11, 2014, 10:27:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2014, 10:24:56 PM

i was thinking you could give me a 10-12 min handicap, im a novice. plus im a fat fook.

Bring Tony F and I'll make it £20 lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Date for your Diary.

Our running club, Blayney Rockets AC, are hosting their first race on Saturday July 26th in Castleblayney, Co Monaghan. Its a 10 mile road race on a cracking route round Lough Muckno that we would run most Sundays.

Its a very fair route with no major hills in it. Will post more on it nearer the time but if anyone is looking a good run out in the summer, this is a good one! Put in in the diary  :)

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: laoislad on May 11, 2014, 10:12:34 PM
Have about 500km on current runners. I notice they are all worn down on the inside of the foot.
Is this something I should try to fix or is it just they way it is and not worry about it?

Well LL, I have spoken to a lot of the army lads who do the bootcamp with us about runners, they very from Ultra lads to lads who do 80 plus marathons a year, they all say the same thing, stick with what you are used to, if you are staying injury free using your current brand, do not change them as you will upset your posture and cause injury....

laoislad

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on May 12, 2014, 08:20:57 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 11, 2014, 10:12:34 PM

Well LL, I have spoken to a lot of the army lads who do the bootcamp with us about runners, they very from Ultra lads to lads who do 80 plus marathons a year, they all say the same thing, stick with what you are used to, if you are staying injury free using your current brand, do not change them as you will upset your posture and cause injury....
Cheers.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Booked into this on sunday: http://terenure5mile.com

It is 2 miles longer than I would have liked for my 1st organised run, but all the 5k runs seem to be on saturdays.

Over the next few days will I add excuses to the above one.

But f*ck it, time to shit or get off the pot.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on May 12, 2014, 11:10:52 PM

It is 2 miles longer than I would have liked for my 1st organised run, but all the 5k runs seem to be on saturdays.

Good man muppet. You'll be grand.

Hereiam

Its been at least 2 yrs since I done any road running, last I done was a 10k and it was tough going more mental that psychical. I was in reasonable shape back then but have slipped badly. I am hitting the gym this week as I cant let get any worse. I would love to do a marathon but when I dobe the 10k it took me 45mins and only for the ipod suffle I would have went mad. Hope to people cope.

ballinaman

No bother to ya...you'll be grand..just think of getting to smack Pat McEaney for '96 as a prize in the last 2 miles when the pain starts..

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on May 12, 2014, 11:23:30 PM

No bother to ya...you'll be grand..just think of getting to smack Pat McEaney for '96 as a prize in the last 2 miles when the pain starts..

I'll be smacking him long before the last 2 miles!  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Fair play muppet, no bother to you. Use the first 3km as a warm up and then race the last 5km like your normal 5km. You'll enjoy it no end.

The good old reliable, to now anyways, 205 has died a death. Tried a number of resets but the screen keeps going blank with any movement. Seems to have been a problem in the older models and any fixes are only a short term fix.

Likely get a new one and looking at the Garmin 220. Might even get the heart rate monitor version. Anyone use it?

Mayo4Sam

Thats a nice race muppet, I did it last year. Had planned on doing it this year but am off cycling for three days with race the ras, cant fecking wait!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

magpie seanie

That looks a great race. Good luck with it. You'll be well able. My first 5k I have only ever run 4k and my first 10 k I had only run 8.4k so you'll be sound. You have ran twice this distance already!

Am in Dublin myself this weekend and might get to do that. Was looking for a run in Dublin and didn't notice this one.