Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

take_yer_points

Good man just puck it, I was certain there was someone else on here doing it. Great time as well - some going. I'm coming round as well - would love to do one in better weather and hopefully the improved time will come with that. Maybe next year

muppet

Well done Seanie & JPI, it is great motivation to read about that sort of stuff.

Running is a pretty solitary hobby so this thread is a Godsend.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Fair play Seanie, hard to beat the warm fuzzy feeling of a PB  :)

andoireabu

Started on the streets the last weekend in April and ran 4.2km in 29mins and 4.8km in 28mins.  Legs were stiff for a week so copped on a bit and slowed down.  Found it very hard to get a consistent pace plus dodging people and traffic in the city are annoying to do.  Went out again last weekend and ran 3.6km in 23mins and 6.2km in 38mins.  Not as stiff afterwards this time and found it easier to get the air in.  Normally I find that I get a stitch early when I run no matter the pace but it goes away soon enough.  Went out this morning and ran 7.3km in 46mins.  Felt very good after it with little to no stiffness and had it in my head that I could do more.  Hoping to be consistent on this for the week and then try and run 10km at the weekend.  Never got near that distance in my life before but I reckon it's doable.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

ballinaman

Unreal Seanie to do a PB in a darkness into light race, crowds and early morning wouldn't lend to a quick time but might stuff!
Unfortunately not Moy, had it penciled in but am taking a break until June 16th..18 week schedule for Dublin starting then. Brilliant race though, would recommend it to anyone if they are around!

muppet

Quote from: andoireabu on May 10, 2014, 01:16:14 PM
Started on the streets the last weekend in April and ran 4.2km in 29mins and 4.8km in 28mins.  Legs were stiff for a week so copped on a bit and slowed down.  Found it very hard to get a consistent pace plus dodging people and traffic in the city are annoying to do.  Went out again last weekend and ran 3.6km in 23mins and 6.2km in 38mins.  Not as stiff afterwards this time and found it easier to get the air in.  Normally I find that I get a stitch early when I run no matter the pace but it goes away soon enough.  Went out this morning and ran 7.3km in 46mins.  Felt very good after it with little to no stiffness and had it in my head that I could do more.  Hoping to be consistent on this for the week and then try and run 10km at the weekend.  Never got near that distance in my life before but I reckon it's doable.

10k definitely doable with that 7.3k behind you. Good man, keep it up.
MWWSI 2017

lfdown2

We'll done all, great motivation, to the point I have been embarrassed coming on to this thread for the past month or 2. Have been very slack since the 10k in March.

Finally got off my ass and out yesterday for a slow (tough) 11k. Started the Hal Higdon program for the Brisbane half on 3 August so hopefully that's me back on track! Today was stretching and strength only so handy day to get started, looking forward to getting back in to it!

CD

Almost a sense of relief from posters on the board when they get out on a run, whether it goes well or not! The traffic on this thread is certainly growing which is great to see - more and more people getting out and getting moving. As well as the obvious physical benefits the knock on effects are fantastic. I've started thinking more and more about my diet, our mad house is now functioning like a well oiled machine as both Mrs CD and I try to organise our running around the wee ones (our four year old is mad to come with us), and I actually have way more energy. As a few lads have commented recently, it's really good for the head as well! Nothing feeds the soul like coming home after a tough 10mile or setting a PB at parkrun. Its all good!

Many thanks to the experts on here who constantly dole out great advice and tips and the motivational stories of your marathon endeavours!

Next in the pipeline for me is Les Jones 10k then Lisburn - still not sure if I'll tackle the 10k or the half marathon. Anyone else up for these two?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

magpie seanie

Quote from: ballinaman on May 10, 2014, 04:24:36 PM
Unreal Seanie to do a PB in a darkness into light race, crowds and early morning wouldn't lend to a quick time but might stuff!
Unfortunately not Moy, had it penciled in but am taking a break until June 16th..18 week schedule for Dublin starting then. Brilliant race though, would recommend it to anyone if they are around!

Thanks BM. For good measure I played a full hour in a club junior match last evening. It was 13 a side too. Such a sleep I had last night!

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: muppet on May 08, 2014, 10:43:38 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on May 08, 2014, 10:35:12 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 08, 2014, 07:21:25 PM
I don't understand foreign money.... ;)
There is one for €599

One thing to watch out for LL, is switching between the threadmill and the road is a b**tard for the shin splints....

Really?

Do you mean using one for a period of time and then switching, or switching back and forward regularly?

The problem is when you switch between one or the other, it has something to do with different shocks to the shin areas, I know one girl who stopped using the T.M completely and the condition cleared up completely

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on May 11, 2014, 09:44:45 AM
Almost a sense of relief from posters on the board when they get out on a run, whether it goes well or not! The traffic on this thread is certainly growing which is great to see - more and more people getting out and getting moving. As well as the obvious physical benefits the knock on effects are fantastic. I've started thinking more and more about my diet, our mad house is now functioning like a well oiled machine as both Mrs CD and I try to organise our running around the wee ones (our four year old is mad to come with us), and I actually have way more energy. As a few lads have commented recently, it's really good for the head as well! Nothing feeds the soul like coming home after a tough 10mile or setting a PB at parkrun. Its all good!

Many thanks to the experts on here who constantly dole out great advice and tips and the motivational stories of your marathon endeavours!

Next in the pipeline for me is Les Jones 10k then Lisburn - still not sure if I'll tackle the 10k or the half marathon. Anyone else up for these two?

Looking to do the Lisburn half, calf injury at the moment and have Triathlon at end of month so need to have a look and see whats best. Probably settle for the 10k
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

charlieTully

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2014, 04:58:27 PM

Looking to do the Lisburn half, calf injury at the moment and have Triathlon at end of month so need to have a look and see whats best. Probably settle for the 10k

I'm doing the lisburn 10k as well, race you for a tenner.

CD

Quote from: charlieTully on May 11, 2014, 08:19:40 PM

I wouldn't even have the tenner to spare!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

charlieTully

Quote from: CD on May 11, 2014, 09:10:29 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on May 11, 2014, 08:19:40 PM

I wouldn't even have the tenner to spare!

sorry i meant my old mucker milltown.

imtommygunn

In 2 minds about the 10k in lisburn but will decide closer the time.

Good running seanie.