Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

For people average height (thats me out :P) you really want a running deck that is at least 52 inches long to allow for a full runners stride pattern.

A further consideration is that running is not a low impact activity. Whilst treadmills suitable for walking exercises might not need to have a cushioned deck if you are going to be pounding away at pace, a cushioned deck would be a good option to choose.

Also a good motor required as some are shite, and an incline option needed I'd say, how much are they going for? £300
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

I don't understand foreign money.... ;)
There is one for €599
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: laoislad on May 08, 2014, 07:21:25 PM
There is one for €599

One thing to watch out for LL, is switching between the threadmill and the road is a bastard for the shin splints....

muppet

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on May 08, 2014, 10:35:12 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 08, 2014, 07:21:25 PM
There is one for €599

One thing to watch out for LL, is switching between the threadmill and the road is a b**tard for the shin splints....

Really?

Do you mean using one for a period of time and then switching, or switching back and forward regularly?
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Muppet - I just have to hand it to you. You are kicking ass. I think I really need to knuckle down to a structured training plan if I'm going to improve rather than just doing whatever time constraints allow. For example, last night I didn't have a lot of time so decided to blast out a quick 3 mile run. Bad idea. Legs were still heavy from the 10k I did Monday so only ended up pissing myself off. I should probably have done a recovery run though again I'm not sure when (day after or two days after) or what exactly that is.

They say that for the Warriors Run your 10 mile road time is a good indicator of how you'll end up in the Warriors. Are you still thinking of doing it? Registration is Wednesday week in Strandhill oe the following day online and places go very quickly.

Doing the Pieta House 5k 4.15am Saturday morning. Love the concept and hope to make inroads on my PB.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 08, 2014, 11:43:26 PM
Muppet - I just have to hand it to you. You are kicking ass. I think I really need to knuckle down to a structured training plan if I'm going to improve rather than just doing whatever time constraints allow. For example, last night I didn't have a lot of time so decided to blast out a quick 3 mile run. Bad idea. Legs were still heavy from the 10k I did Monday so only ended up pissing myself off. I should probably have done a recovery run though again I'm not sure when (day after or two days after) or what exactly that is.

They say that for the Warriors Run your 10 mile road time is a good indicator of how you'll end up in the Warriors. Are you still thinking of doing it? Registration is Wednesday week in Strandhill oe the following day online and places go very quickly.

Doing the Pieta House 5k 4.15am Saturday morning. Love the concept and hope to make inroads on my PB.

I think I should do a straight forward run first before tackling something like the warrior run. I feel as if I might be deluding myself so I need to prove myself in a properly organised run. If that goes along the lines of recent training I might get a bit braver.

I was looking back at this post and thinking what some proper advice can do for you. Great thread overall.

Quote from: muppet on April 15, 2014, 12:04:01 AM
What's the story with heart rate?

I am trying to run 3 x 15 minutes on the way from stepping up from 5k to 10k at around 10km/hr pace and struggling.

If 220 minus my age is maximum heat rate, then I am running at 12 over my maximum. I am not in distress at this rate but just can't keep it up for more than 5 minutes. Should I be concerned?
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 08, 2014, 11:43:26 PM

If you can commit to a structured plan, you will feel it benefit it you no end. Try to fit it in to finish with a planned run.

I'd generally run a recovery run the day after a run and it would be a very easy run. Some of the plans I've done might have a set of strides at the end of the recovery run. These would be 6/8 80-100m sprints which help speed but the real focus is to maintain a good running form. Recover between the strides with a very slow jog of same distance. If I've run a very hard run - distance or pace - I'd recover with a walk or cycle the next day.

Some days the legs just don't want to run. Went out for the usual Friday run this morning - 11km route. Knew after about 500m it was going to be a struggle and I was working from the start. Was a fair pace but one I'd normally manage with. Was dropped by the two other lads after about 8km and trailed home after them. Heavy legged and lacking energy, poor sleep and two weeks with a lot of miles likely caught up. Will likely rest tomorrow rather than the planned run and do the longer run on Sunday but ease up on the pace.

magpie seanie

Thanks for the advice guys.

Did anyone ever hear of this? It seems a little bonkers but could be good craic. I know I can run 8k, probably even 16k, but could I do 32k in 24 hours?

http://www.sionnachrelay.com/

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 09, 2014, 01:07:38 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Did anyone ever hear of this? It seems a little bonkers but could be good craic. I know I can run 8k, probably even 16k, but could I do 32k in 24 hours?

http://www.sionnachrelay.com/

Looked at it before alright and is a very interesting concept. There would be a few 24/48 hours races in Ireland but they'd focus on individuals.

I'm sure that the concept is taken from Japan and the Ekiden runs that they seem to thrive in. They are basically long distance relay races which can take place over distances rather than hours/days. Its very competitive there.

I think it would be good to do, something different. With rest, training, recovery and feeding between runs, I'd say you be fit for it. Like all running, it will depend on fast anyone would like to do it.

laoislad

Just back from the Phoenix Park after my first run in a few weeks. Feels great to be back at it.
Only done 6k and it was a bit of a struggle but feel great now.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on May 09, 2014, 01:27:16 PM
Just back from the Phoenix Park after my first run in a few weeks. Feels great to be back at it.
Only done 6k and it was a bit of a struggle but feel great now.

Good man, a busy couple of weeks for you and the clan.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Anybody else doing the River Moy 1/2 on the 17th May?

Just Puck It

I posted a bit in here back in January/February when I started training for the Belfast Marathon and I just wanted to throw a quick comment in to say thanks for all the help and advice.  I had a read almost everyday and more than anything, I benefited from just reading everyone else's posts regarding training, nutrition and experiences and I didn't need to ask too much, so thanks.  I'd a tough enough time with training when it started to matter around the longer runs.  Had to take a 3 week break of complete rest in March when I tweaked my Achilles which meant missing out on long runs of 16, 17 and 18.  Came back in with 4 weeks to go and ran a 15, then a 20 the week after which was brutal.  Was fitting in hurling training too since January and think I was just doing too much.  Was lucky to get one rest day a week. 

Managed to come in at 3:46:46 so absolutely over the moon.  My aim was 4 hours so I am still delighted about it.  I agree with a lot of what TYP said in his brilliant round up a few pages back.  Relay change overs at the beginning were crazy, the tow path in along the M2 was horrific and the people on the streets are brilliant.  Miles 17-22 were the toughest for sure.  I was able to lift it back up a bit on adrenaline for the last couple of miles with the people on the streets again and the brilliant atmosphere.  Said during the last 9 miles that I would never, ever do another marathon and I meant it more than ever right afterwards too - though I think I am slowly coming round to the idea of it again, though I think I would only enter if I knew I'd a great chance of beating my time so timing and training would probably need to suit.  Just too competitive with myself. 

Fantastic experience and I made a new best friend..my foam roller! 

Rois

Brilliant - well done. At the time you did I'm sure I'd have clapped you.past on the Antrim Rd at the Lansdowne and as you came off the dreaded foreshore path. Great time.

magpie seanie

Did the Pieta House Darkness into Light 5k there in Sligo. Lovely route and very well organised - credit to St Mary's GAA club and all who helped. Super atmosphere and just before the off the rain stopped and conditions were gorgeous. Aimed to cut a nice lump off my PB of 26:50 and did just that. 26:01 I made it for 5k (the course, which took me 26:48 was actually slightly longer than 5k) which is a good reduction in my PB. First mile downhill I went a little too fast (7:45) and really had to grind the last km, was on 25:30 pace at 4k. All in all delighted as I didn't really have much of a warmup. Sub 25 has to be within my range some time soon.