Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Some great posts here in the last few days and some great achievements. Well done to all involved, especially TYP, Bingo, BM and ITG.

I did 24:40 for 5k on a treadmill with an average incline of 0.5%. The heart monitor is actually very helpful in this regard because while my legs and head were complaining, my thick side was saying that I was nowhere near the max HR and to shut up and keep running. :D
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Great stuff TYP, enjoyed reading your account of the marathon. Just in awe of you guys who complete that distance. Awesome.

Muppet - you are flying man. Need to get my sh1t together and get the heart rate monitor. Haven't really made an assault on my 5k pb but going to have a few cracks in May/June. I thought in January that 25 mins was beyond my compass but now I'm hopeful. Ran a nice 10k on Monday. Was supposed to be a long, slow run but I gave in to temptation during the run! I worked out after around 6-7k what I'd have to do to break the hour and went for it (succeeded - 59.40)! Only a minute slower than I did in Bundoran and I felt great after this one, could have kept going for a few more miles.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 07, 2014, 03:03:41 PM
Great stuff TYP, enjoyed reading your account of the marathon. Just in awe of you guys who complete that distance. Awesome.

Muppet - you are flying man. Need to get my sh1t together and get the heart rate monitor. Haven't really made an assault on my 5k pb but going to have a few cracks in May/June. I thought in January that 25 mins was beyond my compass but now I'm hopeful. Ran a nice 10k on Monday. Was supposed to be a long, slow run but I gave in to temptation during the run! I worked out after around 6-7k what I'd have to do to break the hour and went for it (succeeded - 59.40)! Only a minute slower than I did in Bundoran and I felt great after this one, could have kept going for a few more miles.

This keeps happening, it is very hard to stay slow especially when you are feeling really good about yourself and think of running longer or faster. But it certainly seems to be the key to improving overall.

Amazing Seanie that on a 'slow' run you break the hour for 10k and still feel like running on. But you are another confirmation of the merits of the training outlined by ITG earlier on the thread.

Incidentally I tried consecutive days running for the first time. I did a 'hard' run first, for the time mentioned above and then a very easy 5k, which took about 45 minutes, with the HR kept below 140. I could have gone on at that slow pace but I had to go to work.

I was smiling at TYP saying he had worked out the pace needed to get under 4 hours. Seanie obviously does the same: "I worked out after around 6-7k what I'd have to do to break the hour". Not only does your fitness improve but your mental arithmetic as well!
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2014, 01:19:57 PM
Some great posts here in the last few days and some great achievements. Well done to all involved, especially TYP, Bingo, BM and ITG.

I did 24:40 for 5k on a treadmill with an average incline of 0.5%. The heart monitor is actually very helpful in this regard because while my legs and head were complaining, my thick side was saying that I was nowhere near the max HR and to shut up and keep running. :D
Does this count as breaking 25 for 5k?
Speaking of threadmills.... I was thinking of buying one. Finding it very difficult to get time to go running at the moment and I'm nervous I won't be able do the full training plan for the Marathon.
I wouldnt be planning on just using a threadmill as I love running outside but I thought it be handy for nights I can't get out.
I'm getting a new shed for house and would have plenty of room for a threadmill in it.
Thoughts?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mayo4Sam

Stop being a lazy bollix and get out  ;)

An hour run on the threadmill takes the same length as the hour outside
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on May 07, 2014, 03:40:39 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2014, 01:19:57 PM

Does this count as breaking 25 for 5k?
Speaking of threadmills.... I was thinking of buying one. Finding it very difficult to get time to go running at the moment and I'm nervous I won't be able do the full training plan for the Marathon.
I wouldnt be planning on just using a threadmill as I love running outside but I thought it be handy for nights I can't get out.
I'm getting a new shed for house and would have plenty of room for a threadmill in it.
Thoughts?

First question: I don't know. I want to back it up with a proper run before I claim I did it.

As for the treadmill: Personally I find it a bit more difficult on the treadmill but there are many advantages. You can really control your pace accurately without any unpredictable distractions such as traffic, dogs, weather and people asking for directions (it is amazing this happens to someone on a run). You can also do the recovery/tempo runs properly as they usually have a heart monitor. And while running with your hands on the monitor is annoying you only really need to do it now and again. There are also great functions on treadmills such as adjusting the gradient automatically to maintain an exact heart rate without changing the pace. So you can for example decide to run 10k recovery run, in say 'x' minutes, the treadmill will keep the pace steady and adjust the gradient to keep your heart rate below/above whatever threshold you want.

You would miss the cool breeze of the outdoors though as gyms are usually quite warm and stuffy and I definitely sweat more indoors.
MWWSI 2017

eddie d

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 07, 2014, 09:19:13 AM
Lactic acid Eddie, you want to move the legs but they won't move...

Boy in the club doing Dingle. It's a hilly enough one so I'm told so wouldn't expect a PB but I'd say it'd be a great one to do with scenery etc.

Dead on. Considering doing it for the scenery etc, looks like a great location for it.

CD

I know a few of you lads on the 'running' thread frequent the 'books' thread as well. I'm in the midst of reading 'Tick, Tock, Ten' by Gerry Duffy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tick-Tock-TEN-Compelling-Challenges/dp/0957207239
It's not my usual cup of tea but I haven't been able to put it down over the past couple of nights. Brilliant read and definitely of interest to any runner no matter what your ability. An inspirational character.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

muppet

My recovery run today around Malahide Castle was supposed to be a 10k but I felt great so went past 15k (1:37:02) and finished at 16.25kms (4 laps). I am still running a bit too fast, which feels like a ludicrous thing to say given the results.

If you think my account has been hacked you are probably right. Either that or I need a new iPhone.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on May 08, 2014, 05:38:21 PM
My recovery run today around Malahide Castle was supposed to be a 10k but I felt great so went past 15k (1:37:02) and finished at 16.25kms (4 laps). I am still running a bit too fast, which feels like a ludicrous thing to say given the results.

If you think my account has been hacked you are probably right. Either that or I need a new iPhone.
I'm taking credit for this as I shamed you into doing  couch 2 5k!! Time for Tony Baloney to start now.
Fair play to you.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on May 08, 2014, 06:12:57 PM

I'm taking credit for this as I shamed you into doing  couch 2 5k!! Time for Tony Baloney to start now.
Fair play to you.
Still at the couch stage.

muppet

Fair play to you.

I failed the first 3 goes at C25K.

Reading yourself and Seanie, in particular, and the others as well was a good boot up the arse motivation-wise.

But ITG has opened the floodgates altogether with some advice on training properly.

The scary thing is the time flew today.

My BMI was around 29.9 at one stage so it was definitely time to do something. Still just over 27 so a way to go yet, and I am not getting taller.

How is the training for the marathon going, after the new arrival?
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Fair play to you.

Couch 2 5K will be tough for Tony

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on May 08, 2014, 06:36:04 PM

Fair play to you.

I failed the first 3 goes at C25K.

Reading yourself and Seanie, in particular, and the others as well was a good boot up the arse motivation-wise.

But ITG has opened the floodgates altogether with some advice on training properly.

The scary thing is the time flew today.

My BMI was around 29.9 at one stage so it was definitely time to do something. Still just over 27 so a way to go yet, and I am not getting taller.

How is the training for the marathon going, after the new arrival?
I'm not doing any running at the moment. Work is mental and the new arrival is certainly taking up a lot of time.
I'm giving myself a day off tomorrow so gonna head to Phoenix Park for a run.
Marathon training won't start in earnest til mid June.
Definitely think I'll buy a threadmill. I see Elverys have a few in stock at reasonable enough prices.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 08, 2014, 06:43:26 PM

Fair play to you.

Couch 2 5K will be tough for Tony

I'll get one of those motorised couches.