Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Hi Majestic BM is a physio so he could comment better and take this with a pinch of salt!

Compartment syndrome, as I'm sure you're aware, isn't a great injury to have unfortunately. I know of one girl who runs for one of the clubs in Belfast who had it, had an operation and is back running competitively again so it can be recovered from. It's something physios seem reluctant to diagnose and it is quite hard to diagnose.

A running buddy of mine has missed a few years and was misdiagnosed with it. He went to Manchester I think for tests and they reckon it's not compartment syndrome. They were going to go down the road of testing him for it but seemed conclusive enough over there to decide he hadn't got it. Tests would entail rods being inserted into your calves to measure pressure which doesn't sound pleasant but would at least give some hope as to what it is.

About all I know about it is that plus bits and pieces I've read on google which I'm sure you've read yourself. Like I say it's hard to diagnose - with my mate just because they couldn't find what was up they reverted to compartment syndrome but it has been ruled out.

Have you been through all the stretching and strengthening routines you can get and do you get deep massage on it?  Compartment syndrome would be what you want as a last resort so if you're down surgery routes etc first make sure you've been to the right people...

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2014, 02:25:11 PM
Hi Majestic BM is a physio so he could comment better and take this with a pinch of salt!

Compartment syndrome, as I'm sure you're aware, isn't a great injury to have unfortunately. I know of one girl who runs for one of the clubs in Belfast who had it, had an operation and is back running competitively again so it can be recovered from. It's something physios seem reluctant to diagnose and it is quite hard to diagnose.

A running buddy of mine has missed a few years and was misdiagnosed with it. He went to Manchester I think for tests and they reckon it's not compartment syndrome. They were going to go down the road of testing him for it but seemed conclusive enough over there to decide he hadn't got it. Tests would entail rods being inserted into your calves to measure pressure which doesn't sound pleasant but would at least give some hope as to what it is.

About all I know about it is that plus bits and pieces I've read on google which I'm sure you've read yourself. Like I say it's hard to diagnose - with my mate just because they couldn't find what was up they reverted to compartment syndrome but it has been ruled out.

Have you been through all the stretching and strengthening routines you can get and do you get deep massage on it?  Compartment syndrome would be what you want as a last resort so if you're down surgery routes etc first make sure you've been to the right people...
Sound advice as usual from tommy.
3 years of conservative treatment with no pain let up sounds like it could be more  down the lines of compartment syndrome.
Now is a time to be really diligent with rehab and exercises provided if you haven''t been so. Say to yourself, right I'm going to give this my absolute best shot for 1 month...if it's still sore then I would look at the orthopedic route ,your pain will be resolved one way or another though so don't get down.

Orior

Quote from: majestic on May 06, 2014, 01:45:00 PM
Hi

First time poster here, but I have been having real problems with my shins not the bone, the muscle running down the outside of the leg. After about 5 minutes running the pain becomes unbearable, and ill have to rest to let the pain subside and start again. I have also noticed that I have very limited movement of my feet because of the pain. I've seen a number of physios over the years and most have said shin splints. I have also gone to a podiatrist and have the insoles and Ive been wearing them for three years now. But I'm still getting the pain.

The latest physio I have seen mentioned something called compartment syndrome, he is recommending I see a surgeon about an operation to help with it. Has anyone ever heard about this or suffered from similar? I'm just trying to learn more about the condition.

Thanks

That sounds exactly like the injury I got and had to give up competitive running. The cause was a slight curvature in my back, which meant a tilted pelvis, which meant using one leg more that the oter, which caused the injury.

Take up cycling and swimming.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Stall the Bailer

Anybody for doing the first Strabane Lifford Half Marathon this weekend?

CD

TYP - brilliant review of yer Belfast Marathon - what an achievement. Mrs CD and I were at our usual Cheering Spot by Cherryvale with the kids screaming and clapping and getting soaked! You'd put me in the form for doing it myself next year although I did promise I'd never do another one! Hope you enjoyed the pints after.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

imtommygunn

5:02 for the mile... Not too bad considering only back towards full training though frustrating to just miss the 5!

Track racing is a different world to the marathons and 10ks!

eddie d

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2014, 09:44:39 PM
5:02 for the mile... Not too bad considering only back towards full training though frustrating to just miss the 5!

Class time..is it different in a good or bad way? are you referring to time?

Also has anyone done the Dingle marathon/ultra?

imtommygunn

Lactic acid Eddie, you want to move the legs but they won't move...

Boy in the club doing Dingle. It's a hilly enough one so I'm told so wouldn't expect a PB but I'd say it'd be a great one to do with scenery etc.

Mayo4Sam

Whats your 5k time?
According to McMillan it should be 17.28 based on that  :o
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

16:45 last April but wouldn't be as fit at the minute.

take_yer_points

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2014, 11:54:18 AM
Good man TYP glad some of the stuff I posted could be of some help- great report!

There is a good atmosphere round belfast but they need to sort the course out - it's shocking - and get plastic bottles for water. Going out to newtownabbey and back in a towpath is ridiculous. I think you could do dublin a bit faster again - I'll bet you do another one too!

The mind forgets pain so you will forget about the tough parts and do another one I bet!

Thanks everyone. I'd agree with you on the towpath - it's very narrow and you have relay runners thinking they're superman pushing past you as the towpath starts straight after the changeover. Some knob (if you happen to be reading this, your name is Chrissy and it was written on the back of your t-shirt) ran past us banging into everyone. He was walking when we passed him about two miles later round about the Pumphouse cafe on Duncrue Road.

They'd need to organise the first couple of changeovers a bit better and I agree about bottles of water. I had people organised to give me bottles at various points but I tried to grab a cup of water at one point - I spilt most of it round me, sipped a tiny bit and threw the rest away in frustration. Someone was saying they can't use bottles without completely closing all the roads that the marathon is on and the participant numbers don't justify that - not sure who it was that said it though

ballinaman

Quote from: take_yer_points on May 07, 2014, 12:32:19 PM
Good man TYP glad some of the stuff I posted could be of some help- great report!

There is a good atmosphere round belfast but they need to sort the course out - it's shocking - and get plastic bottles for water. Going out to newtownabbey and back in a towpath is ridiculous. I think you could do dublin a bit faster again - I'll bet you do another one too!

The mind forgets pain so you will forget about the tough parts and do another one I bet!

Thanks everyone. I'd agree with you on the towpath - it's very narrow and you have relay runners thinking they're superman pushing past you as the towpath starts straight after the changeover. Some knob (if you happen to be reading this, your name is Chrissy and it was written on the back of your t-shirt) ran past us banging into everyone. He was walking when we passed him about two miles later round about the Pumphouse cafe on Duncrue Road.

They'd need to organise the first couple of changeovers a bit better and I agree about bottles of water. I had people organised to give me bottles at various points but I tried to grab a cup of water at one point - I spilt most of it round me, sipped a tiny bit and threw the rest away in frustration. Someone was saying they can't use bottles without completely closing all the roads that the marathon is on and the participant numbers don't justify that - not sure who it was that said it though

Isn't the Belfast marathon sponsored by Deep River Rock too??

Bingo

Fair play, that's tight moving.

We've recently got organised and registered and are an official AC now, Blayney Rockets AC. Been talking about a few events to run and do, must suggest a Mile trial some evening. Would be interesting to do it.

I'd a decent week last week. 5 days out of seven with a real good 10 miler on Saturday. Raced a 5km on sunday then and was happy to finish in 19.30. Legs felt heavy having run Friday and Saturday but held together well to finish in best 5km time of the year. They are a real lung buster though, very hard to enjoy them until they are over!

take_yer_points

Quote from: ballinaman on May 07, 2014, 12:45:13 PM

It is yeah. The first bottle of their water I saw was at the finish line!

imtommygunn

Quote from: take_yer_points on May 07, 2014, 12:58:18 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 07, 2014, 12:45:13 PM

It is yeah. The first bottle of their water I saw was at the finish line!

I think you're right on the bottles and the closing roads. The route is shocking and the bottled water thing is poor too but you can only change something and make it better it you actually care and want to do that and the organisers of the belfast marathon do not seem to want to make it better.