Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on April 30, 2014, 02:59:40 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 30, 2014, 02:07:39 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 30, 2014, 01:11:32 PM
Injured now, dont know when I'll be back running, and swimming is a long way off :(
Balls. Give us a shout if you need anything.
Got an MRI on the paw yesterday evening when I got home to have a look at the leg.
Glorious grade 2 tears up through the soleus and between the 2 heads of the calf muscle in the middle....nice bit of damage but you would expect that. Reckon another 2-3 weeks probably. Left hamstring is feeling worse at the minute so I'm a bit of a crock!  ;D
Thing is to learn from this and come back stronger. Burning candle at both ends, thinking your superman when going well in training had a big part to play. Didn't look after myself properly.
So going to go for Dublin in October starting in June, unfinished business.

2-3 weeks - you'd be resting anyway after Boston, so nothing too bad!

Interested in that comment - I know you said that you were behaving yourself, so do you mean not getting the right rest and listening to the body. Or even pushing yourself too much to get to your goal target?

I'm 95% certain I'll give Dublin another go this October myself. Find it far more easier to run/train with a target race in mind. Just to tell the wife now.  ;D
Yep, for example...the Thursday before I did the damage in the 8km race I worked from 8 till 5 and then had work with a few footballers to do till 8pm. Grabbed a bit of food on the go around 6pm and went out and did a 10 mile run at 8.15pm with 7 miles at 5.50 pace. Had to be up early for work the next morning so didn't do much stretching, foam rolling as you should have. That was just 1 day but there were a good few like that in March.
I felt I had the training down to the right level and was taking my rest days but lack of sleep recovery and stretching caught up.
Had a good chat with lads on the tour re Dublin marathon...climate,course knowledge and pre race is much easier(better sleep,own food ect) all helps chances of running a PB over 1 of the marathon majors.
Haha...break it to her gently!!
Fair play tommy on the mile race, absolute torture that stuff is..lung bursting torture!

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: ballinaman on April 30, 2014, 02:07:39 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 30, 2014, 01:11:32 PM
Injured now, dont know when I'll be back running, and swimming is a long way off :(
Balls. Give us a shout if you need anything.
Cheers BM, ligament damage to the shoulder
Came off the bike Saturday, knocked out cold, concussion. X-ray showed up ligament damage from Saturday and from previously.
Am scheduled for a trip to an ortho guy in two weeks but went into the physio round the corner from me on Monday evening. He reckons 2-3 months before I'm back to full strength. Said I can do stationary bike this week and back to him next wednesday.
Exercises are arm curl with weight, straight arm extension (with terraband) and I'll call it horizontal arm curl with across my chest with weight.

My main race of the year is on May 24th so I need to be back swimming for that, could probably get by without any swim training in the meantime.

Another balls is that I was due to play in the charity gaa match next monday (https://www.facebook.com/CharityGAAMatch)

Disgusted
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

eddie d

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2014, 02:26:14 PM
My schedule at the minute is 5 times a week. 2 x easy run, 1 x very hilly fartlek, 1 x tempo and 1 x long run. I've only got up to 5 a week last week but that's what I have started with and hilly fartlek to either hill reps or trackwork will happen in next few weeks for me as well as the long and easy runs getting longer.

BM good to see you're still motivated. Age old problem that when we are going well we think we can just keep going and going - very easy to give advice to other people but really that's how I broke myself and how I know many others have broke too. The only thing I could say is learn from it but you do the right stuff so you'd be grand!

Going to try a mile race next week for something different as there's a big set of them on in Belfast to mark the sub 4 anniversary. I expect plenty of pain! It's open to all levels and there are several races for anyone interested.

Muppet stay disciplined with the heart rate stuff and the one step back won't come as soon as you think...

What date is this on?

imtommygunn

May 6th Eddie D. Check out nirunning and it should have details on it.

CD

I like the sound of that Warrior's Run! If I'm going to train for something and bust myself, I may as well do something interesting! Anyone on here done it before? How would a dodgy knee behave on it?

Anyone doing Les Jones 10km at Mary Peters?

Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on April 30, 2014, 07:49:31 PM
I like the sound of that Warrior's Run! If I'm going to train for something and bust myself, I may as well do something interesting! Anyone on here done it before? How would a dodgy knee behave on it?

You are doing fine times so far with a dodgy knee!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

I have no idea as I haven't done it before and to be honest I'm half petrified by the thoughts of it. 850 spots this year but if you are planing to do it be aware that these spots are grabbed up in no time.

imtommygunn

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 01, 2014, 09:56:48 AM

I have no idea as I haven't done it before and to be honest I'm half petrified by the thoughts of it. 850 spots this year but if you are planing to do it be aware that these spots are grabbed up in no time.

A friend of mine is mad to do this warriors run. We decided to either do it or the rathlin run this year but will probably go for the latter. It looks tough but no nastier than any mountain runs. A few clubmates of mine did it last year and did quite well in it.

CD I did Les Jones last year but not planning on it this year. I like the race but be warned it is notorious for having a hill at ~8k that will knock the stuffing out of you! (It's a left turn at shaws bridge to take you up to the dub)

CD

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 01, 2014, 10:57:13 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 01, 2014, 09:56:48 AM

A friend of mine is mad to do this warriors run. We decided to either do it or the rathlin run this year but will probably go for the latter. It looks tough but no nastier than any mountain runs. A few clubmates of mine did it last year and did quite well in it.

CD I did Les Jones last year but not planning on it this year. I like the race but be warned it is notorious for having a hill at ~8k that will knock the stuffing out of you! (It's a left turn at shaws bridge to take you up to the dub)

I think I know the hill! Doesn't look bad as you're driving past but I've discovered that can be very deceiving recently!! I'll throw my hat in for the Warrior run - I'll be in that part of the world when it's on so I may as well. Heard it was 4oeuro! A bit steep but at least it's a bit different. Rathlin could be plan B if I don't get in!

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 30, 2014, 09:03:54 PM

Knee is seriously dodgy! Had two collapses recently but it hasn't locked! Have a Baker's Cyst that won't go away and need cartilage cleaned! Never fully recovered from ACL tear a few years back but feels better when I'm training. Any time I stop running for more than a couple of weeks the knee gets worse and then my back goes! Too much abuse on the football pitch to blame!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on May 01, 2014, 07:27:52 PM

Knee is seriously dodgy! Had two collapses recently but it hasn't locked! Have a Baker's Cyst that won't go away and need cartilage cleaned! Never fully recovered from ACL tear a few years back but feels better when I'm training. Any time I stop running for more than a couple of weeks the knee gets worse and then my back goes! Too much abuse on the football pitch to blame!

Well it's a credit to ya, I'll not complain about my sore calf then lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: CD on May 01, 2014, 07:27:52 PM

I got one of these when I started and it was the reason I failed my first go at C25K. It is still there but doesn't bother me, should I be getting rid of it?
MWWSI 2017

Rois

Some of you lads run further in a month than I drive!

take_yer_points

Well, that's the first ever marathon done. I'll write a bit more detail about it tomorrow as I'm going to head for a feed and a few pints here now when the legs start working again. I said on here a few months ago that my 2 targets this year are a 20 minute 5k and a 4 hour marathon. Well, the 4 hour marathon is now ticked off the list - just about! Crossed the line bang on 3:59! The pints today are well earned!

How'd anyone else do?

Rois

Brilliant!! How are you feeling after it?
Mr Rois came in around your time, think he was 3.52 or so. I was standing at a couple of different points and wore a Club Tyrone coat so had a few shouts from Tyrone runners along the route.

Such an emotional day. I hope you are very proud of yourself because you should be!