Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: screenexile on April 28, 2014, 11:04:41 AM
In case you were wondering if any of ye are fit for Inter County football MD MaCauley ran the Samsung 10k in 51.23 last night.

That was after a National League Final earlier in the day though so he might not have been going full pelt!

In fairness, he could have saved himself during the game for the nightrun  ;)

haranguerer

He cant have been going full pelt, interco average bound to be sub 40 I'd have thought, and Dublins in particular prob closer to 35

imtommygunn

Quote from: haranguerer on April 28, 2014, 12:20:51 PM
He cant have been going full pelt, interco average bound to be sub 40 I'd have thought, and Dublins in particular prob closer to 35

Not sure about that. Completely different type of fitness. 38 or 39 minutes maybe but couldn't see too many round the 35 mark.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2014, 12:26:57 PM

Not sure about that. Completely different type of fitness. 38 or 39 minutes maybe but couldn't see too many round the 35 mark.

The Irish track record is just under 28 minutes. Hard to expect a fella after a match, running in a crowd, for something he doesn't specifically train for, to get within 10 minutes of the Irish record.

Especially if he gives as many digs racing as he does on the football field. 
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Yeah I doubt MDMA was stressing himself too much to be honest plus he'd that match in him. Would expect close to 40 from a boy like him if he was on fresh legs and pushing himself.

haranguerer

Quote from: muppet on April 28, 2014, 12:32:34 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2014, 12:26:57 PM

The Irish track record is just under 28 minutes. Hard to expect a fella after a match, running in a crowd, for something he doesn't specifically train for, to get within 10 minutes of the Irish record.

Especially if he gives as many digs racing as he does on the football field. 

Thats the point, he wasnt fresh/going full tilt. If he had been I've no doubt he'd be within ten min of the track record, 10min over 10k is a lifetime. I've done a few with just football training under my belt and been just over the 40, and theres little chance of me being close to one of the best exponents of box to box midfield play there ever has been.

Mayo4Sam

I'm concentrating on cycling this year so I;ve had to squeeze my running in

I do a club session which would be 1.5k x 4 or 3k x2, or some combination, maybe 2 x1.5k and 8 x200 thrown in between

I've merged this with my long run, so I jog to and from the session, makes it up to 20-24k total for the session
The odd week I do a track session, again run to and from, 16-20k total
then do 2/3 8k easy runs at lunch during the week
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 30, 2014, 01:11:32 PM
Injured now, dont know when I'll be back running, and swimming is a long way off :(
Balls. Give us a shout if you need anything.
Got an MRI on the paw yesterday evening when I got home to have a look at the leg.
Glorious grade 2 tears up through the soleus and between the 2 heads of the calf muscle in the middle....nice bit of damage but you would expect that. Reckon another 2-3 weeks probably. Left hamstring is feeling worse at the minute so I'm a bit of a crock!  ;D
Thing is to learn from this and come back stronger. Burning candle at both ends, thinking your superman when going well in training had a big part to play. Didn't look after myself properly.
So going to go for Dublin in October starting in June, unfinished business.

imtommygunn

My schedule at the minute is 5 times a week. 2 x easy run, 1 x very hilly fartlek, 1 x tempo and 1 x long run. I've only got up to 5 a week last week but that's what I have started with and hilly fartlek to either hill reps or trackwork will happen in next few weeks for me as well as the long and easy runs getting longer.

BM good to see you're still motivated. Age old problem that when we are going well we think we can just keep going and going - very easy to give advice to other people but really that's how I broke myself and how I know many others have broke too. The only thing I could say is learn from it but you do the right stuff so you'd be grand!

Going to try a mile race next week for something different as there's a big set of them on in Belfast to mark the sub 4 anniversary. I expect plenty of pain! It's open to all levels and there are several races for anyone interested.

Muppet stay disciplined with the heart rate stuff and the one step back won't come as soon as you think...

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2014, 02:26:14 PM
My schedule at the minute is 5 times a week. 2 x easy run, 1 x very hilly fartlek, 1 x tempo and 1 x long run. I've only got up to 5 a week last week but that's what I have started with and hilly fartlek to either hill reps or trackwork will happen in next few weeks for me as well as the long and easy runs getting longer.

Going to try a mile race next week for something different as there's a big set of them on in Belfast to mark the sub 4 anniversary. I expect plenty of pain! It's open to all levels and there are several races for anyone interested.

Muppet stay disciplined with the heart rate stuff and the one step back won't come as soon as you think...

That's decent going and decent structure.

You training for anything in particular or do you have a date in mind to have a crack at the sub35 10k?

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on April 30, 2014, 02:07:39 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 30, 2014, 01:11:32 PM
Injured now, dont know when I'll be back running, and swimming is a long way off :(
Balls. Give us a shout if you need anything.
Got an MRI on the paw yesterday evening when I got home to have a look at the leg.
Glorious grade 2 tears up through the soleus and between the 2 heads of the calf muscle in the middle....nice bit of damage but you would expect that. Reckon another 2-3 weeks probably. Left hamstring is feeling worse at the minute so I'm a bit of a crock!  ;D
Thing is to learn from this and come back stronger. Burning candle at both ends, thinking your superman when going well in training had a big part to play. Didn't look after myself properly.
So going to go for Dublin in October starting in June, unfinished business.

2-3 weeks - you'd be resting anyway after Boston, so nothing too bad!

Interested in that comment - I know you said that you were behaving yourself, so do you mean not getting the right rest and listening to the body. Or even pushing yourself too much to get to your goal target?

I'm 95% certain I'll give Dublin another go this October myself. Find it far more easier to run/train with a target race in mind. Just to tell the wife now.  ;D

imtommygunn

Quote from: Bingo on April 30, 2014, 02:53:28 PM

You training for anything in particular or do you have a date in mind to have a crack at the sub35 10k?
I missed months Bingo so getting back in shape at the minute. Target 10ks are September and November. I'm aiming for a 10miler in July and a race in June at some point though am undecided which one yet(between 5 miler and 10k). Only 3 weeks doing that schedule so I feel I need 7 or 8 to be where I want to be though will hit a few parkruns in the process.

muppet

Looking at some of the stats here it might be less embarrassing to have 2 divisions, at least!
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on April 30, 2014, 03:04:43 PM
Looking at some of the stats here it might be less embarrassing to have 2 divisions, at least!

The running can get you addicted very quickly... If there were two divisions they could really just read obsessive and not so obsessive...

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2014, 03:03:05 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 30, 2014, 02:53:28 PM

I missed months Bingo so getting back in shape at the minute. Target 10ks are September and November. I'm aiming for a 10miler in July and a race in June at some point though am undecided which one yet(between 5 miler and 10k). Only 3 weeks doing that schedule so I feel I need 7 or 8 to be where I want to be though will hit a few parkruns in the process.

Good stuff, fair going.