Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andoireabu

Quote from: muppet on April 25, 2014, 01:31:05 PM
Great performance BM.

How many others are looking at a marathon in the short to medium term? Laoislad? Seanie?

Was looking at the Dublin one this year.  Would be very inexperienced in the running game but know a lad who ran London the other week and he woud have been the same.  First real race he had ever run.  Trying to talk a lad into doing it with me and then get on the roads to see if it's possible.  Been reading this thread a bit recently for a bit of inspiration.  If a man can do it on 1 and a half legs there must be some chance for me!!
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

magpie seanie

Quote from: andoireabu on April 25, 2014, 06:18:07 PM
Great performance BM.

How many others are looking at a marathon in the short to medium term? Laoislad? Seanie?

Was looking at the Dublin one this year.  Would be very inexperienced in the running game but know a lad who ran London the other week and he woud have been the same.  First real race he had ever run.  Trying to talk a lad into doing it with me and then get on the roads to see if it's possible.  Been reading this thread a bit recently for a bit of inspiration.  If a man can do it on 1 and a half legs there must be some chance for me!!

To paraphrase The King in "Waiting for Eric".......He is not a man!!!......He is BALLINAMAN!!!!  ;D

magpie seanie

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 25, 2014, 04:51:57 PM
QuoteIt's only the first week of having 2 of them so hopefully it will settle down in a few weeks.

It won't.  ;)

I didn't like to say!!!!

Two wee girls ourselves, 3 and 20 months, and by God it's lively. I have got used to viewing 6 hours sleep (total, not unbroken) as a good night's sleep. My plans for running are either very early, very late or lunchtime. We're out of the bad time of the year for early or late runs thankfully.

Bingo

Fair play BM, great report and run. Will live long with you by sounds of it.

I'll likely see the Blayney Rocket today, I know he struggled in last stages.

Newry half is slowly approaching, been on holidays the last week but have got a good bit of mileage in, which was needed with eating out and eating big! Ran 14km in the Phoenix park last Sunday morning, what a great place to run.

Did 10 miles yesterday afternoon and I forgot how hard it is in the heat. Tough going! Another 10miles in the morning, hopefully it will be easier!

Rois

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 24, 2014, 11:57:16 AM
It is seriously just about doing the right training. Everyone will have their own limitations granted but if you do the right training you can see massive gains in the running. The heart rate stuff is a good start. Once you've used that to get you fit then tempos / long runs / strnegth on hills etc etc can give you massive gains.

I've seen 50-55 minute 10k guys go down to sub 40. It is possible though I would recommend taking it steady rather than big bang and stretching and even "core" work are very beneficial for fighting the injuries.
Bought myself a cheap HRM in Decathalon and went for my first 70% run today. Slowest 10k I've ever run and found it hard to keep it down, especially after the curiosity ran out when I realised how slow I was going. One rather large man who was spilling over a bike seat on the Lagan towpath at Lisburn told me I looked like I was running in slow motion. But I enjoyed it and ran for a good hr and 20mins and still could have run more.
Need to read up a bit more about all this stuff to reassure myself that I'll get fitter and burn the fat!

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 25, 2014, 04:34:57 PM

I really don't think so. Getting the Warriors Run done in August is my only real goal now. I just think a marathon is too much. Maybe that will change some day but no ambition as yet. I'm pretty sure Laoislad is going for Dublin in October.

Looks interesting.

16k of that would easily compare to the half marathon, no?

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Rois on April 27, 2014, 01:57:59 PM
It is seriously just about doing the right training. Everyone will have their own limitations granted but if you do the right training you can see massive gains in the running. The heart rate stuff is a good start. Once you've used that to get you fit then tempos / long runs / strnegth on hills etc etc can give you massive gains.

I've seen 50-55 minute 10k guys go down to sub 40. It is possible though I would recommend taking it steady rather than big bang and stretching and even "core" work are very beneficial for fighting the injuries.
Bought myself a cheap HRM in Decathalon and went for my first 70% run today. Slowest 10k I've ever run and found it hard to keep it down, especially after the curiosity ran out when I realised how slow I was going. One rather large man who was spilling over a bike seat on the Lagan towpath at Lisburn told me I looked like I was running in slow motion. But I enjoyed it and ran for a good hr and 20mins and still could have run more.
Need to read up a bit more about all this stuff to reassure myself that I'll get fitter and burn the fat!

That is exactly what it was like for me. But after a few of these the other targets seem to get closer.

I improved my 5k time again on thursday although still haven't reached the 25 mins. I hope to do another of those slow runs (between 8-10k) today or tomorrow.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Managed 3 runs in Tenerife while on holidays over Easter (wife thought I was mad) but its a hilly old spot, so good work out all the same, the loop run was spot on and very popular with a lot of runners who were going at a serious pace round it.

Looking to do a marathon now, well maybe, half marathon be grand with little training but the full one I heard is not twice as hard, but 4 times as hard!!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2014, 04:26:59 PM
Managed 3 runs in Tenerife while on holidays over Easter (wife thought I was mad) but its a hilly old spot, so good work out all the same, the loop run was spot on and very popular with a lot of runners who were going at a serious pace round it.

Looking to do a marathon now, well maybe, half marathon be grand with little training but the full one I heard is not twice as hard, but 4 times as hard!!

Half marathon is grand! Full is about 10 times harder if you haven't done the miles! What one u fancy doing?

andoireabu

What is the thinking behind not running the full distance when training for a marathon?  A few of the training programs I've read usually go up to around 20 miles.  Would it not be a mental boost to know you have 26 miles in you before starting rather than knowing you can do 20 but not if you'll see the line?  Went for a wee jog yesterday and today.  Did around 5k in 28 minutes.  Legs are like lead now though.  Long way to go before October!
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

JimStynes

Quote from: andoireabu on April 27, 2014, 09:21:12 PM
What is the thinking behind not running the full distance when training for a marathon?  A few of the training programs I've read usually go up to around 20 miles.  Would it not be a mental boost to know you have 26 miles in you before starting rather than knowing you can do 20 but not if you'll see the line?  Went for a wee jog yesterday and today.  Did around 5k in 28 minutes.  Legs are like lead now though.  Long way to go before October!
I think it's about injury prevention, the boys in here will be able to tell u better. If I do another one I will def go up to 22/23 miles for the mental boost and also to get used to that feeling of running when ur completely wrecked!

Bingo

Quote from: andoireabu on April 27, 2014, 09:21:12 PM

Been discussed before. Basically going that far would mean you're spend too much energy on it and too recover would take weeks and you'd miss training and the build up. As amateur athletes, you'd not be conditioned to it. More experienced runners can and do the longer distances.

Mentally even getting to 22 is great. Doing 26 would mean reducing your training to get ready for the 26 as part of your training and you'd miss out on the required build up.

Doing 26 - rather than been a confidence boost could actually work the other way in that you'd experience how hard it is hard after 20 miles and you'd not try it again!!

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2014, 03:19:07 PM

That is exactly what it was like for me. But after a few of these the other targets seem to get closer.

I improved my 5k time again on thursday although still haven't reached the 25 mins. I hope to do another of those slow runs (between 8-10k) today or tomorrow.

Your pace at those heart rates will improve though rois. All about zones etc and definitely works so worth persisting with. Managed 36 mile this week. Most in a long time. Hopefully get racing soon.

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2014, 03:19:07 PM

Good man Muppet. Any progress is to be welcomoed. Hopefully only a matter of time before you beat the 25 min target. Would say you're 5k pb is better than mine now. Was running well and ready to attack my 5k and 10k times but lost almost 4 weeks due to a virus/bug. Nealry back to where I was after a good run this evening so looking for May to be a big month for me before I really focus on my 12 week training plan for the Warriors. As you say it's an interesting race. When you're from the foothills of that mountain and haven't done the run it's a big box that needs ticking. People reckon the descent is a killer and after that you have 4 miles left.

screenexile

In case you were wondering if any of ye are fit for Inter County football MD MaCauley ran the Samsung 10k in 51.23 last night.

That was after a National League Final earlier in the day though so he might not have been going full pelt!