Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

A few grand at least i'd say. Dublin a good enough option anyway. No plans for marathon for a couple of years myself unless i got in somewhere like london.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 21, 2014, 02:01:32 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2014, 09:00:14 PM
Best of luck in Boston BM.

These last 2 pages have been a revelation.

Instead of running 6k with a HR in the 180s and finishing somewhere around 34 minutes absolutely wrecked, I took the advice here and ran at a HR of <150. It felt very slow and I was supposed to do 3 x 17 minutes with 1 min breaks. Instead I just ran through for 53 minutes. I never had to resort to the 'thickness' Seanie referred to earlier as it was extremely comfortable. I felt I could have run a lot more at that pace. The crazy thing is that I lost weight for the first time in weeks. I will try to do more of that but might still try the odd hard (for me) 5k as mentioned above.

Thanks for the great advice.

Good man muppet. No harm in the odd hard 5k. The 70% stuff is about a discipline to improve the fitness. The bulk of your running should be at it but not all.

Best of luck BM. Only live once and all that. Hope it works out for you. Take some time off afterwards though.

imtommygunn is DA MAN!

I went out to St. Annes Park this afternoon to do my C210K week 11 day 3 run. Again 3 x 17 mins with 2 x 1 min walks in between.

I decided to go easy and if I felt alright I would run straight through with no breaks again.

When I hit 51 mins I had 8k done and was comfortable so I ran on and did 10K!

1 hr 4 mins and felt grand other than a couple of sore bits that weren't a problem when I was running.

I am officially endorsing imtommygunn for the Man United job!!!
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Good man muppet. It's a great feeling when you complete a goal you've set for yourself.
Onto half marathon for you now...... ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on April 22, 2014, 08:00:51 PM
Good man muppet. It's a great feeling when you complete a goal you've set for yourself.

Jebus!

The missus thinks I am nuts already.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Lol - good man muppet.

I am only passing on what a) has been passed on to me and served me well and  b) i have read via this book which is highly recommended http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heart-Monitor-Training-Compleat-Idiot/dp/1891369849/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398195227&sr=8-1&keywords=Heart+rate+training+for+the+compleat+idiot

The thing which pains me about a lot of trainers in gyms etc etc is that they automatically bust peoples balls. To me that is not the way to do it. Build your base fitness first - forget about speed because most people won't be fit enough. Stick at that for a couple of months then when you've got fitter you can use that fitness to get faster. The heart rate stuff can be used at higher zones for disciplined speed etc too but get the fitness first...

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 22, 2014, 08:38:23 PM
Lol - good man muppet.

I am only passing on what a) has been passed on to me and served me well and  b) i have read via this book which is highly recommended http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heart-Monitor-Training-Compleat-Idiot/dp/1891369849/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398195227&sr=8-1&keywords=Heart+rate+training+for+the+compleat+idiot

The thing which pains me about a lot of trainers in gyms etc etc is that they automatically bust peoples balls. To me that is not the way to do it. Build your base fitness first - forget about speed because most people won't be fit enough. Stick at that for a couple of months then when you've got fitter you can use that fitness to get faster. The heart rate stuff can be used at higher zones for disciplined speed etc too but get the fitness first...

I will get that book (why 'compleat' rather than 'complete' - was it written in the 1600s?).

It looks like I will also need a heart monitor for when I am not on a treadmill.

But seriously thanks again. I am delighted with the last couple of weeks.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

No idea... Not read it in a few years to be honest but a lot of people have it as "the bible".

No worries. Stick at it. You'd be amazed what you can achieve if you train right for the running. I've seen many going into it saying this goal is impossible, that goal is i possible etc etc and they've stuck at it, done the right training and achieved what they thought impossible. Marathons, 5-10 minutes of 10k pbs etc etc. All possible. Have went a lot further than i ever thought i could myself to be honest.

CD

Ran the  Carney Co Sligo 10k on Monday. Finished in 46mins and really struggled! About a third of it seemed to be uphill! Enjoyed it all the same and will put my capitulation from 6-9k down to experience. Anyone recommend a 10k  each month until Oct? Would love to go under 44mins. Just need a bit of know how.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

imtommygunn

May - les jones (nasty hill at 8k though...)

June - lisburn

July -limited. Greyabbey but it's hilly.

August- dunno.

September- laganside

Add a tempo run if you don't do one in your training. On the theme of heart rates 85% and below for ~20 minutes.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 22, 2014, 08:48:08 PM
No idea... Not read it in a few years to be honest but a lot of people have it as "the bible".

No worries. Stick at it. You'd be amazed what you can achieve if you train right for the running. I've seen many going into it saying this goal is impossible, that goal is i possible etc etc and they've stuck at it, done the right training and achieved what they thought impossible. Marathons, 5-10 minutes of 10k pbs etc etc. All possible. Have went a lot further than i ever thought i could myself to be honest.

£1.61 on eBay.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on April 22, 2014, 09:09:23 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 22, 2014, 08:48:08 PM

£1.61 on eBay.  ;D

Result. Great read though i'm a nerd to science type stuff.

magpie seanie

Quote from: CD on April 22, 2014, 08:49:35 PM
Ran the  Carney Co Sligo 10k on Monday. Finished in 46mins and really struggled! About a third of it seemed to be uphill! Enjoyed it all the same and will put my capitulation from 6-9k down to experience. Anyone recommend a 10k  each month until Oct? Would love to go under 44mins. Just need a bit of know how.

That course is tough. Some nasty hills alright. I had it pencilled in to do but with being sick for a few weeks I knew it was pointless.Was chatting a girl at work who did it and it took her 2+ mins more than the Cara 10k.

No1

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 22, 2014, 08:59:01 PM
May - les jones (nasty hill at 8k though...)

June - lisburn

July -limited. Greyabbey but it's hilly.

August- dunno.

September- laganside

Add a tempo run if you don't do one in your training. On the theme of heart rates 85% and below for ~20 minutes.

August 22nd, first ever Strangford Festival 10k starting and finishing in Strangford village and taking in the scenic Castleward Estate on the shores of Strangford Lough. Great way to start the Bank Holiday weekend, online entry now open!

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on April 22, 2014, 08:21:48 PM

Jebus!

I know that feeling. When I started at this crack and was getting up and going out at 6.30am herself was looking at me like I had 5 heads.

Congrats on doing 10k. I found it a huge confidence booster to know I had completed 10k. Make sure to set your next target quick so you have something to work towards.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 22, 2014, 11:06:27 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 22, 2014, 08:21:48 PM

Jebus!

I know that feeling. When I started at this crack and was getting up and going out at 6.30am herself was looking at me like I had 5 heads.

Congrats on doing 10k. I found it a huge confidence booster to know I had completed 10k. Make sure to set your next target quick so you have something to work towards.

Cheers.

I still am a bit off 25 mins for 5k (26:50) so that target is still very much out there. Today was meant to be an easy run with a view to doing a hard 5k later this week/early next week.

Still can't get my head around how comfortable I felt. Maybe my running App/GPS is of the very flattering variety.

FFS I was struggling with 6 x 90 second runs with decent breaks in early Autumn.
MWWSI 2017