Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on April 13, 2014, 12:01:02 PM
We'll going by last weekend I couldn't recommend Paris enough for your first one

How's the knees? I found last year (I'd done no distance running) after 13 miles my knees started to ache. Don't think it would take me too long to get up to the distance but it will stop me doing my usual routine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Ill find out today when I am running around a football field!! Was on the bike yesterday and my legs felt tired but no problem with the knee. It's a tough game. The only thing is I would be worried the impact it will have on the joints in later life

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on April 13, 2014, 12:10:50 PM
Ill find out today when I am running around a football field!! Was on the bike yesterday and my legs felt tired but no problem with the knee. It's a tough game. The only thing is I would be worried the impact it will have on the joints in later life

Aye I would only do a couple if I was going to do any. I run outdoors on the road once a week, most done on the dreaded treadmill :(

But it would be a nice target/goal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2014, 12:08:01 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on April 13, 2014, 12:01:02 PM
We'll going by last weekend I couldn't recommend Paris enough for your first one

How's the knees? I found last year (I'd done no distance running) after 13 miles my knees started to ache. Don't think it would take me too long to get up to the distance but it will stop me doing my usual routine

Most knee problems in running are caused by quad/hip tightness/lack of mobility. I think the running and knee thing is very over exaggerated.it'd be a lot worse on the hips. Marathons you're so long on the feet you expose weakness/mobility/tightness. Look after those muscles and you won't be too bad.

Bingo

That was a Kenyan who won that Patsy Kelly 5km in Dundalk, a course record that will never be broke! Serious running.

Mo Farah learnt alot today, I don't think he has a future at marathon and can see him going back to the track.

imtommygunn

There's a kenyan that comes over for belfast every year and stays in derry for a few months. Wonder is it him. When the top dogs were in his races last year he got beat. In saying that he won a lot too and must have went back to kenya a lot richer!

Bingo

Sad news that a runner died after the marathon in London yesterday. No details released yet.

I also see an elite female runner from Sierra Leon(sp?) kept running after the finish line and hasn't been seen since, didn't appear for her flight home and looks like she has decided not to leave the UK.

take_yer_points

2nd last training run for Belfast marathon done. I fell through the door in 2 hours 45 minutes having done just over 20 miles (the last mile or two all uphill). There's a bit of doubt creeping in now as I was totally wrecked after that - I'd find it hard to believe I'll get another 6 mile done on top of that. The only hope I'm holding on to is I'll be doing slightly more before the marathon (planning 22 next weekend) and I did a fairly fast 10 mile on Friday past (fast for me anyway) so I won't be recovering from that come 5 May. Really looking forward to doing it, but also looking forward to it all being over and getting back down to 5k/5 mile runs

Orior

Quote from: Bingo on April 14, 2014, 12:46:06 PM

I also see an elite female runner from Sierra Leon(sp?) kept running after the finish line and hasn't been seen since, didn't appear for her flight home and looks like she has decided not to leave the UK.

It is also nice that yer man is known as Mo instead of Mohammed because the former sounds less like an international terrorist.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AQMP

Quote from: Orior on April 14, 2014, 01:41:13 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 14, 2014, 12:46:06 PM

It is also nice that yer man is known as Mo instead of Mohammed because the former sounds less like an international terrorist.

Are you sure his first name's not Maurice??

eddie d

Did Mo Farah honestly think he would show up yesterday and win? Did the media believe it too? Talk about disrespecting competitors who have been training for years, but naw he was going to show up in his first marathon and win. Bbc are no better, even when they interviewed the winner they couldnt help but mention Farahs time to him(who couldnt care less) and also asked him advice for Farah.

Maybe this will end the sideshow that took over the Marathon the last two years. Last year he was paid to run the half marathon, which no one else can do. This year the cameras where trained on him..forget about the ones leading or even the many charity runners   

muppet

What's the story with heart rate?

I am trying to run 3 x 15 minutes on the way from stepping up from 5k to 10k at around 10km/hr pace and struggling.

If 220 minus my age is maximum heat rate, then I am running at 12 over my maximum. I am not in distress at this rate but just can't keep it up for more than 5 minutes. Should I be concerned?
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on April 15, 2014, 12:04:01 AM
What's the story with heart rate?

I am trying to run 3 x 15 minutes on the way from stepping up from 5k to 10k at around 10km/hr pace and struggling.

If 220 minus my age is maximum heat rate, then I am running at 12 over my maximum. I am not in distress at this rate but just can't keep it up for more than 5 minutes. Should I be concerned?

That's only a gauge. Differs from person to person. Real test is something like 3x400 flat out with about 30 seconds in between. Max is the highest you get.

If you're near that figure though you're going too fast so would suggest slowing down. Fitness built up much better at lower heart rates...

Rois

Quote from: take_yer_points on April 14, 2014, 01:32:18 PM
2nd last training run for Belfast marathon done. I fell through the door in 2 hours 45 minutes having done just over 20 miles (the last mile or two all uphill). There's a bit of doubt creeping in now as I was totally wrecked after that
Your story is very familiar to Mr-Rois-to-be's - he's going to do his final 20 miler this weekend having already done one of them, and it was very tough on him. He might be about your pace in the marathon as well actually but he's not going up to 22 miles, 20 is his limit as he doesn't want to injure himself.
It'll be a nice busy last six miles for you and even if you had to half-walk, half-run, you'd still get a fierce time. 

imtommygunn

Ballinaman how you getting on now? You recovering from the injuries?