Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Mr Rois did the half last year.  His description:
"It's pretty flat til Sprucefield (say 6 miles), then there is a steady uphill section on the main road for say a mile, then there is an undulating country road section for say 3 miles, then steady enough downhill/flat for say 1.5 miles then a bit up and down for the last stretch...all in all it's a tough enough course".

Bingo

Cheers, might keep it in mind. Will see how Newry goes, it seems to be a flatter course to target the PB in. If not Lisburn could be hit.

Thanks

ballinaman

Felt the calf tighten in the last KM of the 8k last Sunday. Didn't think much about it, took Monday off as a recovery day. Went to run on Tuesday morning and had to turn back after 2 miles. Nice few tears along the inside of the calf...
Hobbling around and getting treatment on it as much as can over the last few days. Haven't run since.
Trying not to panic as the training is done and was going to be winding down. Recovery time is usually 7-10 days but one thing thats not recommended is a marathon in your first week back...
Will see how it goes, throwing every form of treatment under the sun at it...fingers crossed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on April 11, 2014, 11:01:52 AM
Felt the calf tighten in the last KM of the 8k last Sunday. Didn't think much about it, took Monday off as a recovery day. Went to run on Tuesday morning and had to turn back after 2 miles. Nice few tears along the inside of the calf...
Hobbling around and getting treatment on it as much as can over the last few days. Haven't run since.
Trying not to panic as the training is done and was going to be winding down. Recovery time is usually 7-10 days but one thing thats not recommended is a marathon in your first week back...
Will see how it goes, throwing every form of treatment under the sun at it...fingers crossed.

Ah ffs!! Well no better man for giving it the proper treatment!! Good luck
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2014, 11:12:06 AM

Yeah - you're very generous with your help to others on here so I'm sure everyone is hoping you get over this injury and do yourself justice in the marathon.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 11, 2014, 11:13:12 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2014, 11:12:06 AM

Yeah - you're very generous with your help to others on here so I'm sure everyone is hoping you get over this injury and do yourself justice in the marathon.

Big time, I've called on Ballinaman for many an injury and he has  never let me down, pure gent
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Ah no, fingers crossed for you and hopefully you get sorted. It would be bad enough to miss on a marathon if you where plodding like the rest of us but to be in your position and have put in the work to get yourself on target for such a time is tough.

I've faith that you'll turn it round and give it a big effort.

Good luck on the recovery, you know what your at.

imtommygunn

Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out. You know better than anyone how to treat it so hopefully you'll be ok!

JimStynes

Ffs that's ket. Hope it goes well and you get through it alright.

dec

And they are not very helpful with regard to having to withdraw due to injury.

http://www.baa.org/faq.aspx

Q: What do I do if I cannot participate (injury or otherwise) in the Boston Marathon once I have registered?

A: Numbers and entry fees are non-refundable, non-deferrable and non-transferable. You may NOT give your number to someone else.

Bingo

First race win of season/career/lifetime/ever  ;D (and probably last)

One of the local GAA clubs had a 10k this morning and was first home in a PB of 40.50.

Knew I had a chance when the other local rockets took either the 5km or the 20km option.

Good start to hopefully a winning weekend, part 2 tonight with seniors in action in opening league game in front of our new big shiny stand!

orangeman

Quote from: Bingo on April 12, 2014, 12:37:51 PM
First race win of season/career/lifetime/ever  ;D (and probably last)

One of the local GAA clubs had a 10k this morning and was first home in a PB of 40.50.

Knew I had a chance when the other local rockets took either the 5km or the 20km option.

Good start to hopefully a winning weekend, part 2 tonight with seniors in action in opening league game in front of our new big shiny stand!

Congrats. That's a serious run.

laoislad

Fair play Bingo great running.

I did another Park Run this morning,still didn't break 25mins but was 40 seconds faster than two weeks ago so I reckon I'll get there in a few weeks.
Had a right battle with one fella  ;D well it was more like a relegation battle in the 4th division unlike you boys ballinaman etc in the Champions League but we were side by side for most of the race and I could tell he was trying to pass me.
I wouldn't let him though and eventually came home about 20 seconds ahead of him.
I wondered then was it just in my head and he wasn't trying to race me but he came up to me at the end and said good race and he tried but he couldn't pass me!
Different level I know to what some of you boys do be racing at but it made my day anyway !
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

CD

Just smashed my parkrun pb with a 20.46! Target for the year was sub 22 so i'll have to revise that one!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on April 12, 2014, 01:32:51 PM
Just smashed my parkrun pb with a 20.46! Target for the year was sub 22 so i'll have to revise that one!
Well done CD That's a serious lump off your target.

It's all about the competition Laoislad