Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CD

Quote from: laoislad on March 28, 2014, 03:14:20 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 28, 2014, 02:49:29 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 28, 2014, 12:34:09 PM
Doing my first park run tomorrow.
Haven't just done a 5k in a while as I usually run a bit further so haven't tried to beat my PB since last September when I did 25.14 so hope to beat that tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how far I come in 5k terms since then. Would love to go under 25mins.
They will have a 25min pacer so my plan is to stay with him for a lap and a half (its 2 × 2.5k laps)then try and push ahead for the last bit.
There is also a 20min pacer but I think trying to keep in with him is asking a bit much.
Where are u doing it LL?
By the sounds of ur running you'll be well able for under 25, back urself and go out ahead of them
Doing it in Lucan. I'd be worried if I went out too fast I'll burn out. Might just stick with 25 pacer for tomorrow and over summer try and get up to 20 min pacer.

It's hard to get the pace right Laoislad! I try to start fast (6.50/7min mile) then a slower one to catch my second wind and then I burst the last one if I've anything left. Some weeks I go well and come in 21.30ish, some weeks I'm 23ish and I die in the last km. Always recover quickly and feel like I have more left in the tank so reckon I can go under 21mins soon! Good luck tomorrow
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

muppet

Haven't just done a 5k in a while as I usually run a bit further so haven't tried to beat my PB since last September when I did 25.14 so hope to beat that tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how far I come in 5k terms since then. Would love to go under 25mins.
They will have a 25min pacer so my plan is to stay with him for a lap and a half (its 2 × 2.5k laps)then try and push ahead for the last bit.
There is also a 20min pacer but I think trying to keep in with him is asking a bit much.
Where are u doing it LL?
By the sounds of ur running you'll be well able for under 25, back urself and go out ahead of them
Doing it in Lucan. I'd be worried if I went out too fast I'll burn out. Might just stick with 25 pacer for tomorrow and over summer try and get up to 20 min pacer.

Good man LL, my money is on you beating 25 mins handy.

I am doing training to get up to 10k but have missed a couple recently. At some stage I will go back to 5k and try to improve my time. I like the sound of the 25 minute pacer, especially if it was some stunner. That would be all the motivation I would need.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on March 29, 2014, 04:11:24 PM
Where are u doing it LL?

Good man LL, my money is on you beating 25 mins handy.

I am doing training to get up to 10k but have missed a couple recently. At some stage I will go back to 5k and try to improve my time. I like the sound of the 25 minute pacer, especially if it was some stunner. That would be all the motivation I would need.
Well you would have lost your money muppet! I didn't break 25mins today.
The pacer went out very fast. My watch said we did the first 1k in 4 mins and the 2nd km was well under the 5min/km that I thought we would be running at. I was shattered by the 3km and limped home at somewhere in the 26min range.
Was disappointed with myself but I'll go back again.
The park is within walking distance of my house so no excuses really for me to do park run every week
As for the pacer....yeah he was a real stunner.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on March 29, 2014, 04:18:52 PM
Well you would have lost your money muppet! I didn't break 25mins today.
The pacer went out very fast. My watch said we did the first 1k in 4 mins and the 2nd km was well under the 5min/km that I thought we would be running at. I was shattered by the 3km and limped home at somewhere in the 26min range.
Was disappointed with myself but I'll go back again.
The park is within walking distance of my house so no excuses really for me to do park run every week
As for the pacer....yeah he was a real stunner.

Unlucky laoislad, I wouldn't worry about it at all, use the experience. Not that i'm some sort of guru on running by any means but I would hesitate on doing a parkrun every weekend. Doesn't give you much time to get the quality training in that you need to look at doing PBs. Every 2-3 weeks and you would notice a bigger difference.

Last long run myself this morning in the Phoenix park...18 miles. Did it a bit unsually though to hurt the legs, 0-5 miles at faster than predicted marathon pace, 5-10 miles easy, 10-15 faster again than the 1st 5 miles and then a 3 mile easy warm down.

During the 2nd hard 5 mile I was fairly clipping it and went by a lad who took exception to me passing him and shouted "lets see how good you are when you are 70 boy"....I had to laugh and between trying to breathe managed to shout back over the shoulder...I best enjoy it now so ya grumpy bollox!  :D

If ye have a spare hour, take a look at this documentary I found on youtube about Swedish athletes and the injuries and training elite athletes go through....great stuff.

The Price of Gold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnQyI3Mgbc

gerry

well that's omagh half marathon done and the end of the running until september for me, back unto two wheels and the lycra for the summer months  8)

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Bingo

How you'd find it Gerry?

I got it tight going, likely just not the miles done for the pace I was doing. Tough going on course, miles 10-11 or so was just a long drag on a long stretch that never seemed to end.

Finished in 1.39.51 which wasn't too bad.

Great event with serious numbers. Couldn't fault the organisation and a great t-shirt and finishers gift was very unique for a race.

I'll sleep tonight!

gerry

it was ok as i had managed a few 13 mile runs over the last few weeks,  i was just glad to finish it and was running just under a 9.30 min mile.  it sum change from late august when i was doing the couch to 5k on rossnowlagh beach.  i only started the running to keep me going over the winter months as i find it boring even with the head phones on
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Stall the Bailer

I enjoyed it. It was a tough test heading out of town down the Gortin road for the last 5 miles.

maxpower

Love this thread!

Been doing parkruns in the off season, games kicking off next week so yesterday was probably my last for a good while, delighted to sign off with a 19:42 PB, nearly a full minute on what I started at!
What happens next????

Milltown Row2

That's a fair bit of running. You'll be hard to keep up with when Im refereeing this year ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

maxpower

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2014, 11:20:30 PM
That's a fair bit of running. You'll be hard to keep up with when Im refereeing this year ;)

Haha, don't think you'll have any bother! How do you find the training for running affects the hurling fitness!!
What happens next????

Milltown Row2

Quote from: maxpower on March 31, 2014, 09:07:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2014, 11:20:30 PM

Haha, don't think you'll have any bother! How do you find the training for running affects the hurling fitness!!

I find/found (cause I'm too old now :() that I had the same fitness levels and speed for the whole game and didn't feel tired at the end, which in the long run helps your concentration levels and ability to think in a game. There are a lot of benifits to it, if you are running 6/7 miles at a good pace and translate that into a game it certainly helps, obviously running straight and not having someone tackle you or strike the ball will take a lot more out of you but if you have controlled breathing then you (I find) are better off for it.

You should mix in sprints in your 5k runs, pick telephone poles and sprint between them every so often, so you don't lose the speed which over 10 yards is needed in hurling
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Gaeilgoir

Connemarathon on Sunday, feeling well trained and all systems are go..anyone else on here doing it? Am hoping for 3.30-3.40 time.

maxpower

Cheers for the advice MR2! Give it a better lash next year!
What happens next????

Bingo

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 31, 2014, 08:11:04 PM
Connemarathon on Sunday, feeling well trained and all systems are go..anyone else on here doing it? Am hoping for 3.30-3.40 time.

Best of luck. Done it last year, very tough. Great route and no nicer place to run. I enjoyed the first 16 miles but went too hard into a stiff wind. Wheels came off.

Hell of the west is well named!

You did it before if I recall?