Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Are ye saying water isn't the best to be drinking before a run?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Ball Hopper

Heard from a medical person that studied tennis players rehydration habits during the Australian Open. On average, they reached for water over those energy drinks at a ratio of 6 to 1.  Meaning the energy drinks provide useful stuff, but not all the time.  And water is good, but you need a little more.

Makes sense to me...

ballinaman

Quote from: Ball Hopper on March 19, 2014, 06:17:16 PM
Heard from a medical person that studied tennis players rehydration habits during the Australian Open. On average, they reached for water over those energy drinks at a ratio of 6 to 1.  Meaning the energy drinks provide useful stuff, but not all the time.  And water is good, but you need a little more.

Makes sense to me...
Ya, that's similar to what i heard too. Sip on the energy drink the day or 2 before a race and be drinking plenty of water with each meal.

An Gaeilgoir

Anyone any opinion on Whey protein, i have started taking it about a month ago, a scoop once a day, it says to take between 2 and 4, where i have found it good is for recovery, the muscles don't seem to be as tired or sore after a hard training session. Is there merit in it or is it just someone marketing the waste product from Dairy processing?

Bingo

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 20, 2014, 03:01:19 PM
Anyone any opinion on Whey protein, i have started taking it about a month ago, a scoop once a day, it says to take between 2 and 4, where i have found it good is for recovery, the muscles don't seem to be as tired or sore after a hard training session. Is there merit in it or is it just someone marketing the waste product from Dairy processing?

I was told that its usefulness is over rated and that a glass of milk will serve the same purpose, so thats what I use.
Was further happy with this when Catriona McKernan said that for recovery she took a glass of milk and took something to eat shortly after finishing her runs.

Mayo4Sam

I use chocolate milk, straight after the session if I can.
Eating within the hour would be more important
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

qwerty123

I'm wondering what a good time is for both a 10K and 12K run?

laoislad

Quote from: qwerty123 on March 21, 2014, 04:43:13 PM
Whatever your best is is good.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: qwerty123 on March 21, 2014, 04:43:13 PM

The better ones are hitting 31mins 32 mins the real good ones on this site are 35 to 40 mins, the rest 45 upwards for 10K, for 12K you could add on 10 minutes more or less depending on your fitness

I've only been running a while but you can knock minutes off with every run
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

qwerty123

For a GAA club player what would be expected?
Also, what would intercounty players be hitting just out of interest?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: qwerty123 on March 21, 2014, 04:54:32 PM
For a GAA club player what would be expected?
Also, what would intercounty players be hitting just out of interest?

Had a discussion about this one time before, they wouldn't necessary be training over that distance (round a 10k route) maybe preseason but I'd imagine most IC players would be trained on the pitch and the gym mainly preseason.

I'd say a senior club player could hit 45 mins for 10K, a senior player of the late 80's early 90's would have struggled lol, with all the training we did then, pinting was the hardest discipline  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smort

Is this endurance running part of collective training?? Or additional individual stuff?

qwerty123

Either or to be honest.

I'm having to train on my own at the minute and I'm just wondering what sort of time I should be aiming for.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: qwerty123 on March 21, 2014, 05:01:25 PM
Either or to be honest.

I'm having to train on my own at the minute and I'm just wondering what sort of time I should be aiming for.

Go out do 2/3 miles but not hard see how you feel, then up it to 4 miles. I wouldn't dive in and do 10k. Have good trainers also.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2014, 05:05:51 PM
Quote from: qwerty123 on March 21, 2014, 05:01:25 PM
Either or to be honest.

Go out do 2/3 miles but not hard see how you feel, then up it to 4 miles. I wouldn't dive in and do 10k. Have good trainers also.

Do a parkrun and see how you go at 5k. 10k isn't an easy distance at all particularly if you're not prepped for it. Running 6+ miles at a decent clip takes a fair bit of prep. Most people will blow at about 4. If you blow in a 5k then you'll need to do a lot mroe work but it's a good starting point...