Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on March 18, 2014, 03:46:54 PM
Did you win the Balbriggan 10km?
Aye, the quality was diluted a bit with the half marathon on as well, top 4 in that race would have taken me.
Bit of an odd race, was out on my own with only the motorbike ahead of me for the 1st 8km.  Found it quite hard to tune in because had no pressure coming on me and definitely took foot off the gas looking at the KM splits....

Guy came up and passed me at about 8.5km /9km, was fairly shocked because came from nowhere. Didn't let the gap go more than 10 metres and didn't panic, thought to myself he must have ran a ridiculous last 5km to catch me and could't have much left in the tank, so put the shoe down hard in the last 100m to nick it. That's what you get for coasting I suppose!

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 18, 2014, 04:01:16 PM
You're in some form BM.

Hope to be past the 20 this week then 2 more weeks and start tempoing. I'd a real bollocks of an injury there but hopefully seeing the back of it now.
Achilles wasn't it? Absolute bollocks alright but sounds like you have managed it the right way. I had a close call with it back in January and stopped it before it set it thankfully.

imtommygunn

Quote from: ballinaman on March 18, 2014, 04:23:54 PM
Quote from: Bingo on March 18, 2014, 03:46:54 PM
Did you win the Balbriggan 10km?
Aye, the quality was diluted a bit with the half marathon on as well, top 4 in that race would have taken me.
Bit of an odd race, was out on my own with only the motorbike ahead of me for the 1st 8km.  Found it quite hard to tune in because had no pressure coming on me and definitely took foot off the gas looking at the KM splits....

Guy came up and passed me at about 8.5km /9km, was fairly shocked because came from nowhere. Didn't let the gap go more than 10 metres and didn't panic, thought to myself he must have ran a ridiculous last 5km to catch me and could't have much left in the tank, so put the shoe down hard in the last 100m to nick it. That's what you get for coasting I suppose!

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 18, 2014, 04:01:16 PM
You're in some form BM.

Hope to be past the 20 this week then 2 more weeks and start tempoing. I'd a real bollocks of an injury there but hopefully seeing the back of it now.
Achilles wasn't it? Absolute bollocks alright but sounds like you have managed it the right way. I had a close call with it back in January and stopped it before it set it thankfully.

Ai achilles. Got new orthotics which forced me to much more mid foot landing  and the right achilles/calf hasn't liked it one bit. Have just been retraining myself to run really - the orthotics were a must really with another issue. This running lark ain't good for you sometimes!!

I'm hoping with all the rehab etc I will come out of it much faster after 2-3 solid months behind me. I think I will but we'll see what it brings. Aiming for mid - late summer racing and see where I'm at. There's a small 10 miler in July, a few 10ks and Carlingford 5k I wouldn't mind doing so will aim for them. A few good halfs in september too so plenty to aim for yet.

Always nice to win a race - have won 2 parkruns and the (mixed)marathon relay then top 10 3 or 4 other reasonable sized races but never won a proper race and would still love to!!

Mayo4Sam

You'll need a new cabinet at this rate Ballinaman.

I'm sure if you send a stamped-addressed box to Sir Matt Busby Way, Manchester M16 0RA, they'd be happy to oblige
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 18, 2014, 04:37:52 PM
You'll need a new cabinet at this rate Ballinaman.

I'm sure if you send a stamped-addressed box to Sir Matt Busby Way, Manchester M16 0RA, they'd be happy to oblige
I think I might apply to be a pacemaker for this lad.....full time in the Manchester derby he'll be looking for a quick run to the airport I reckon!

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 18, 2014, 04:30:24 PM
I'm hoping with all the rehab etc I will come out of it much faster after 2-3 solid months behind me. I think I will but we'll see what it brings. Aiming for mid - late summer racing and see where I'm at. There's a small 10 miler in July, a few 10ks and Carlingford 5k I wouldn't mind doing so will aim for them. A few good halfs in september too so plenty to aim for yet.

Always nice to win a race - have won 2 parkruns and the (mixed)marathon relay then top 10 3 or 4 other reasonable sized races but never won a proper race and would still love to!!
That sounds like a solid schedule and timeframe. It's very handy to have so many races on these days so have options to when the best suit you. It's a nice feeling alright, hope to have a good few more years ahead of me, I'd be only a pup compared to lads who win these races, usually dominated by lads in mid 30's.

An Gaeilgoir

All, i am looking to get a GPS watch, all i want is GPS and a stopwatch.....anyone have an experience with them....Garmin seem to be top of the tree......thanks

Bingo

Fair play Ballinaman, thats nice to get a win. Its rare to see a sprint finish in a distance race. You were playing to the crowd by the sounds of it! Tight hilly course as well by all accounts.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on March 18, 2014, 05:03:09 PM
Fair play Ballinaman, thats nice to get a win. Its rare to see a sprint finish in a distance race. You were playing to the crowd by the sounds of it! Tight hilly course as well by all accounts.
haha...don't know about that, I was in no state to be throwing out Brolly kisses to the crowd.Ya, couple of 180 degree turns around bollards which are always tough to get rhythm back after. Had to naviagte around much of the half marathon field who started 15 mins ahead of the 10km, I was dropping O'Driscoll side steps along a narrow piece of the route!

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 18, 2014, 04:53:09 PM
All, i am looking to get a GPS watch, all i want is GPS and a stopwatch.....anyone have an experience with them....Garmin seem to be top of the tree......thanks
I've a garmin forerunner, don't know how to use half the functions on it but does the job. It's about 4-5 years old at this stage and is grand still.

mrdeeds

Quote from: ballinaman on March 18, 2014, 05:33:02 PM
Quote from: Bingo on March 18, 2014, 05:03:09 PM
haha...don't know about that, I was in no state to be throwing out Brolly kisses to the crowd.Ya, couple of 180 degree turns around bollards which are always tough to get rhythm back after. Had to naviagte around much of the half marathon field who started 15 mins ahead of the 10km, I was dropping O'Driscoll side steps along a narrow piece of the route!

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 18, 2014, 04:53:09 PM
I've a garmin forerunner, don't know how to use half the functions on it but does the job. It's about 4-5 years old at this stage and is grand still.

I got a Garmin Forerunner 210. Good job at a reasonable price. Shop around for best price online. Also use it cycling.

lfdown2

Looking for a bit of pre race advice, I have a match Sunday at 11 (very hot) and a 10km that evening at 5:00pm. Obviously need to get plenty of water on board between times but I'm worried about energy levels with the heat - question is; what should I eat between the game and the run to maximise replenishment?

Cheers,

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lfdown2 on March 19, 2014, 02:35:40 AM
Looking for a bit of pre race advice, I have a match Sunday at 11 (very hot) and a 10km that evening at 5:00pm. Obviously need to get plenty of water on board between times but I'm worried about energy levels with the heat - question is; what should I eat between the game and the run to maximise replenishment?

Cheers,

Is the match in a hot country?? The sun was shinning on Sunday last but it was cold!! That's probably enough time, and better with the game first as I'm always fcuked after doing 10k. I did a half mile warm up on Sunday, included high knees and legs up at the back followed by stretching, the atmosphere on the day will also kick in and send you off flying.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2014, 09:08:37 AM

Cheers,

Is the match in a hot country?? The sun was shinning on Sunday last but it was cold!! That's probably enough time, and better with the game first as I'm always fcuked after doing 10k. I did a half mile warm up on Sunday, included high knees and legs up at the back followed by stretching, the atmosphere on the day will also kick in and send you off flying.

He's in Brisbane, I think
Hasta la victoria siempre

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 19, 2014, 09:19:20 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2014, 09:08:37 AM

Cheers,

He's in Brisbane, I think

Fcuk that!! I wouldn't bother lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Cheers,
I'd go for some high5 zero electrolyte if you could get your hands on some. Drinking too much water the day before and day of an event can flush out eletrolytes and salts from the body.
For lunch I'd have chicken pasta carbonara or something like that, white bread and pasta would be fine because they are fast releasing carb sources....generally best to avoid but would be grand on this occasion.

lfdown2

Cheers Ballinaman, aye in Brisbane, due to be 30 on Sunday. Will go with that. Too late to pull out now Milltown!  :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lfdown2 on March 19, 2014, 09:39:00 AM
Cheers Ballinaman, aye in Brisbane, due to be 30 on Sunday. Will go with that. Too late to pull out now Milltown!  :)

Well good luck to ya