Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on March 15, 2014, 12:50:46 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 15, 2014, 10:54:19 AM
5k in Marley Park this morning, 18.48, delighted, 30 secs off my PB. It was a windy day and the legs felt tired so hoping there's a good more left in them.
New goal will have to be sub 18
Brilliant!

MR, bring your jet powered runners, I'll be off like a flash of lightening...up that hill...

Brother in Law is after getting another PB in waterworks this morn - he's gone from 27-something about two years ago to 21.24 today.

Great days craic in Downpatrick, challenging enough course and was well supported along the town.  Managed to finish it in 44 minutes which I'm chuffed with considering my calf injury which flared up around 5K but was ok enough to see it through.

What a feed at the end, I ate my body weight in choclate and sandwiches afterwards

Next race is the Titanic Quarter 10k race!!

How did you go today Rois? I was bit neverous for some reason but settled well after about a mile, started off way to quick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

Great race, atmosphere and crowd were brilliant. Finished in 44:01, a PB but raging I didn't break 44! Some feed right nuff MR2, now for the pints!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on March 16, 2014, 01:50:22 PM
Great race, atmosphere and crowd were brilliant. Finished in 44:01, a PB but raging I didn't break 44! Some feed right nuff MR2, now for the pints!!

I didn't realise where the finish was, I thought it would be up near the start area, was wonder why people were speeding up coming into the town and I didn't see the 9k marker, but no complaints would have only managed to take seconds off it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Just home from a stag doo in edinburgh. great preparation for a marathon, I highly recommend it.

Rois

Got a PB in 53.44 - happy enough but was the same as you re:finish, didn't expect it to be so soon am could have taken another few secs off. Started too fast so slowed myself down, last 2 k were a wee but slower. But a well organised race, I'm glad I did it. Might sign up for TQ now and try to beat that.

Mr Rois-to-be had chip time of 42.23 so he was happy with that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on March 16, 2014, 07:01:27 PM
Got a PB in 53.44 - happy enough but was the same as you re:finish, didn't expect it to be so soon am could have taken another few secs off. Started too fast so slowed myself down, last 2 k were a wee but slower. But a well organised race, I'm glad I did it. Might sign up for TQ now and try to beat that.

Mr Rois-to-be had chip time of 42.23 so he was happy with that.

Ah brill well done, I signed up for the Titanic also, flatter course also so could get quicker.

I noticed after a while in races I slow down in parts with no reason, as in the last part of the race I have quicker times. I started off way to quick also, but averaged out 4:28/km pace

Rois

I missed all the goodies at the end - we went to a friend's house in Downpatrick. Raging!

Well done all - these races are good craic! Well - afterwards anyway.

take_yer_points

I got up to just over 17 mile there at the weekend - felt like I could've went on for another couple of mile too so feeling confident about getting the distance ok for the marathon in Belfast. Had a good time for me as well at 2 hours 20 minutes - 8 minutes 14 per mile.

Having said that, my calves felt really tight for the rest of the weekend. I had something similar the previous weekend and thought it might be food related so loaded up on pasta on Friday night before running on Saturday morning. I had a banana on Saturday morning before heading out and had a snickers at about 9 miles. Had a bottle of water with me too. I made a point of doing a bit more stretching this weekend and spent 20 minutes foam rolling the calves but the tightness was still there (though was nowhere near as bad as the previous weekend). Is this common or is there something I can do to avoid it? I'm not sure whether it's my diet causing it or is it a symptom of running these types of distances for the first time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: take_yer_points on March 18, 2014, 02:54:19 PM
I got up to just over 17 mile there at the weekend - felt like I could've went on for another couple of mile too so feeling confident about getting the distance ok for the marathon in Belfast. Had a good time for me as well at 2 hours 20 minutes - 8 minutes 14 per mile.

Having said that, my calves felt really tight for the rest of the weekend. I had something similar the previous weekend and thought it might be food related so loaded up on pasta on Friday night before running on Saturday morning. I had a banana on Saturday morning before heading out and had a snickers at about 9 miles. Had a bottle of water with me too. I made a point of doing a bit more stretching this weekend and spent 20 minutes foam rolling the calves but the tightness was still there (though was nowhere near as bad as the previous weekend). Is this common or is there something I can do to avoid it? I'm not sure whether it's my diet causing it or is it a symptom of running these types of distances for the first time.

I'm getting a bit of that at the minute, well mainly in one calf and its under the calf, was told its from running up hills, which makes a lot of sense with the run I do. Takes a few days to go down even after the stretching. How bad is your diet? I doubt that would be the main problem causing it

Do you use the strava app for your runs?

imtommygunn

I would guess that the only way it would be diet would be if it were cramp related and it was a salt thing?? (e.g. drink a sports drink as opposed to water and you'd be less likely to cramp)

Stepping up miles steps up the impact on the body and can take a bit of getting used to.  I would recommend for a while anyway icing the calves. I guess also be vigilant that trainers can run down and that will hit your calves first. The more miles you do the more you will wear down the trainers.(500 is a good rule of thumb)

Races are good craic afterwards - it's the bit in the middle that's no fun!

Well done to all who ran at the weekend. Good wee group running on here now.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 18, 2014, 03:21:45 PM

I'm getting a bit of that at the minute, well mainly in one calf and its under the calf, was told its from running up hills, which makes a lot of sense with the run I do. Takes a few days to go down even after the stretching. How bad is your diet? I doubt that would be the main problem causing it

Do you use the strava app for your runs?

I've a lot of hills on my run too. I think you're out Jordanstown way so you should know it well enough - Antrim Road up to Glengormley, down past Carnmoney cemetry to Whiteabbey and into Monkstown, down to the shore road and back into Belfast on the tow path. Then I have Fortwilliam back up to the Antrim road and up to the North Circular bringing me up to 15 miles. There's a fair few hills there and the worst ones are the last 3 or 4 miles. I don't use Strava - I use run keeper though - 957 ft elevation on Saturday past.

My diet isn't bad - I'm not eating junk or burgers and chips or anything. I meant more along the lines of not getting enough high energy food on board.

My trainers should be fine too - I've ran about 240 miles in them so far so they should hopefully see me through the marathon ok.

ballinaman

I'd say it's more mileage related than diet. Spot on by what tommy and MR2 said in regards to trainers and uphill running. It's like running on flat tyres if the trainers are well worn and uphill running means more of a forefoot strike which increases stress on the calves. 30-40 second long sustained stretches and foam rolling will help.

10km race yesterday morning, 35.40...happy considering horrendous course and did a 15 on Saturday with last 10 miles progressively faster each mile. A sprint finish to nick 1st didn't help my calves though yesterday I tells ya!! Another tune up 8km race on April 6 and should be good to go on April 21st

Bingo

Did you win the Balbriggan 10km?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 18, 2014, 03:30:51 PM
I would guess that the only way it would be diet would be if it were cramp related and it was a salt thing?? (e.g. drink a sports drink as opposed to water and you'd be less likely to cramp)

Stepping up miles steps up the impact on the body and can take a bit of getting used to.  I would recommend for a while anyway icing the calves. I guess also be vigilant that trainers can run down and that will hit your calves first. The more miles you do the more you will wear down the trainers.(500 is a good rule of thumb)

Races are good craic afterwards - it's the bit in the middle that's no fun!

Well done to all who ran at the weekend. Good wee group running on here now.

That's the bit when you are running that needs a lift, but in most races its the start and end that only have people giving encouargement!!

Well marshalled event yesterday though

Quote from: ballinaman on March 18, 2014, 03:45:02 PM

I'd say it's more mileage related than diet. Spot on by what tommy and MR2 said in regards to trainers and uphill running. It's like running on flat tyres if the trainers are well worn and uphill running means more of a forefoot strike which increases stress on the calves. 30-40 second long sustained stretches and foam rolling will help.

10km race yesterday morning, 35.40...happy considering horrendous course and did a 15 on Saturday with last 10 miles progressively faster each mile. A sprint finish to nick 1st didn't help my calves though yesterday I tells ya!! Another tune up 8km race on April 6 and should be good to go on April 21st

That's brill, 35mins is mental the fastest at Downpatrick on Sunday completed it in 31 minutes!!

imtommygunn

East Down are a really good wee club and always put on a good event there. Check out their online videos too. One of their guys videos the whole thing and they have it up on a youtube channel.

You're in some form BM.

Hope to be past the 20 this week then 2 more weeks and start tempoing. I'd a real bollocks of an injury there but hopefully seeing the back of it now.