Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Puck It

Just over 7 weeks to go until the Belfast marathon now and everything was going great. Did 15 miles a fortnight ago and felt good. Went out to do 14 on Saturday past and only managed 11 as my left Achilles was a bit tight. Rested since Saturday until today icing it every evening and it didn't feel bad at all. No different than normal. Just went out this evening to try a bit and got half a mile before I had to turn back. Feels tighter than ever. Panicing big time now about getting long miles in through the next few weeks. Advice really welcome.

muppet

Quote from: Just Puck It on March 13, 2014, 05:19:36 PM
Just over 7 weeks to go until the Belfast marathon now and everything was going great. Did 15 miles a fortnight ago and felt good. Went out to do 14 on Saturday past and only managed 11 as my left Achilles was a bit tight. Rested since Saturday until today icing it every evening and it didn't feel bad at all. No different than normal. Just went out this evening to try a bit and got half a mile before I had to turn back. Feels tighter than ever. Panicing big time now about getting long miles in through the next few weeks. Advice really welcome.

My right achilles gets sore and tender to touch if I run with only one day off, so I am interested in hearing how to deal with this as well. In my case it is a 25 year old injury that flares up, but it never stopped me doing anything before. It is getting close now though.
MWWSI 2017

Rois

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2014, 02:19:54 PM
Did a super run last Friday, beating my pb on a local 7k loop by a considerable amount and generally feeling strong. Then ran a crap 4k on Monday and have been in terrible form since. Got out today at lunch and ran the same 4k a full minute quicker and all is good with the world again!

Wouldn't mind if I had been on the piss at the weekend but didn't have a beer at all (almost forget what it tastes like to tell the truth)! I guess sometimes you just can't explain it.

I had the same type of run last night - I hated every bloody centimetre of the 9k.  I was going round thinking "I'm not doing that 10k on Sunday now" but kept going and pace wasn't as bad as I thought.  But I just didn't enjoy it.  I think that happens the odd time. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on March 13, 2014, 06:24:21 PM
Did a super run last Friday, beating my pb on a local 7k loop by a considerable amount and generally feeling strong. Then ran a crap 4k on Monday and have been in terrible form since. Got out today at lunch and ran the same 4k a full minute quicker and all is good with the world again!

Wouldn't mind if I had been on the piss at the weekend but didn't have a beer at all (almost forget what it tastes like to tell the truth)! I guess sometimes you just can't explain it.

I had the same type of run last night - I hated every bloody centimetre of the 9k.  I was going round thinking "I'm not doing that 10k on Sunday now" but kept going and pace wasn't as bad as I thought.  But I just didn't enjoy it.  I think that happens the odd time.

So you'll be checking out my butt then on the way round he he
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2014, 07:30:44 PM

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on March 13, 2014, 07:42:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2014, 07:30:44 PM

Buns of steel!! lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Haha - indeed MR.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on March 13, 2014, 07:53:47 PM
Haha - indeed MR.

Going to try a wee run tomorrow on the incline to check out calf, haven't run on the road or treadmill since the following Sunday, though I did play a hurling games for the reserves and refereed straight afterwards on Sunday there, ground was soft but still felt the ache  :(

Looking forward to it, be down early for wee warm up run,  friend driving down as I'm in Belfast on Sat for a 50th birthday party which will carry on to late!! Ah well

JimStynes

Quote from: ballinaman on March 12, 2014, 02:42:04 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 09, 2014, 12:00:12 PM
Q: Is it harder to run on a treadmill or does my running App flatter me when I run outside? My distance and pace always seem slower on the treadmill and it can be hard to run a distance that was comfortable outdoors days earlier. Anyone else find this?
Studies show that you have to run at a 1% incline on treadmill to replicate outdoor conditions, you don't have wind and also physically driving yourself forward when your foot hits the ground is done by the belt moving. So if anything it should be easier on the treadmill for you, no harm though to be more suited to outdoor running

! I guess sometimes you just can't explain it.
Can be any number of reasons, sleep, food intake, hydration could been a little different that would affect how you feel, I'd say and sometimes ya, legs just don't have it, wouldn't worry at all about it Seanie.

Quote from: JimStynes on March 09, 2014, 04:37:44 PM
18 mile run yesterday and it was a complete struggle from the 12 mile mark. I will definitely have to walk at some point in the marathon. I have just run out of time to get another few long runs in I think. The marathon is on the 6th of April, what sort of mileage should I be doing between now and then? I had a a knee injuries for a few months there so don't want to get injured again in the last few weeks. Out for a 40 mile spin on the bike today and it helped loosen the legs up.
You doing Paris Jim? Heard it's class, fair play.
3 weeks out should be the last long one.
The key with the taper is to decrease the load (mileage) but to maintain the intensity....ie, reduce fatigue in the legs but still maintain your predicted marathon pace through some of the miles in the 2 weeks leading up to the marathon to maintain current fitness levels.
So, say the Tuesday before...10 minute warm up....1 mile at predicted marathon pace...5 min easy....1 mile predicted marathon pace, 10 min warm down...job done. You could do 2-4 marathon pace miles with 5 min easy in between depending on how you were feeling.

Yes, I am indeed! Looking forward to the occasion but not the running part as i don't feel prepared and having been trying to catch up with training I've missed due to injury! I am planning on doing 20 mile on monday but my usual running partner can't go so I am going to have to make an attempt at doing this by myself. It will be a long morning. My target of under 4 hours is well out the window now. I'll be happy to just finish now ffs

ballinaman

Quote from: Just Puck It on March 13, 2014, 05:19:36 PM
Medical advice without seeing what you are like is not the best idea but here are a few tips that will help. I would recommend seeing a chartered physiotherapist though.
1.Gel heal raises for your shoes until race day, will give the achilles some slack. You can pick them up in most pharmacies.

2.Foam roll the calves big time, don't be too nice to yourself and get stuck in. Make sure foot is relaxed and work up and down and side to side 9pm to 3pm direction through the muscle belly.

3. K-Tape the achilles. Not much evidence behind this stuff yet but definitely doesn't do any harm, tried it on myself for a few days/runs and found it grand, bit more secure and even helps psychologically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVXIyt2Ae8w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

4. If you are at a desk during the day, keep your heels flat on the ground...lots of people sit with their feet crossed underneath them and toes into the ground...creates hours of stress on the achilles without you doing anything.

Hope that helps!

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2014, 08:06:49 PM
Haha - indeed MR.

Going to try a wee run tomorrow on the incline to check out calf, haven't run on the road or treadmill since the following Sunday, though I did play a hurling games for the reserves and refereed straight afterwards on Sunday there, ground was soft but still felt the ache  :(

Looking forward to it, be down early for wee warm up run,  friend driving down as I'm in Belfast on Sat for a 50th birthday party which will carry on to late!! Ah well

Did the calf hold up MR2?

Still set for Downpatrick?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Mayo4Sam

5k in Marley Park this morning, 18.48, delighted, 30 secs off my PB. It was a windy day and the legs felt tired so hoping there's a good more left in them.
New goal will have to be sub 18
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on March 14, 2014, 07:17:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2014, 08:06:49 PM
Haha - indeed MR.

Did the calf hold up MR2?

Still set for Downpatrick?

All set, have been doing other cardio stuff last 2 weeks and have done all the calf stretching exercises going so, did a 5 minute climb on the treadmill yesterday set the gradient at 6 and ran at 7.5 miles ph. Was grand and no ill effects. Fingers crossed, only to beat Rois anyway so easy enough ll

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 15, 2014, 10:54:19 AM
5k in Marley Park this morning, 18.48, delighted, 30 secs off my PB. It was a windy day and the legs felt tired so hoping there's a good more left in them.
Quality stuff, flying. Fair fcuks

Rois

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 15, 2014, 10:54:19 AM
Brilliant!

MR, bring your jet powered runners, I'll be off like a flash of lightening...up that hill...

Brother in Law is after getting another PB in waterworks this morn - he's gone from 27-something about two years ago to 21.24 today.