Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CD

Quote from: bridgegael on March 09, 2014, 11:47:38 AM
out this morning for first time in 8months cause of illness.  felt great to get back on the road.  hope i can build from this. only did two miles and it hurt, but felt great.

Good man yerself! If it didn't hurt a bit it couldn't be good for ye! Good luck!!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

muppet

Q: Is it harder to run on a treadmill or does my running App flatter me when I run outside? My distance and pace always seem slower on the treadmill and it can be hard to run a distance that was comfortable outdoors days earlier. Anyone else find this?
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on March 09, 2014, 12:00:12 PM
Q: Is it harder to run on a treadmill or does my running App flatter me when I run outside? My distance and pace always seem slower on the treadmill and it can be hard to run a distance that was comfortable outdoors days earlier. Anyone else find this?

Can't give you a definitive answer because I just hate running on treadmills so I don't do it. I'd be interested in what others say on this. I'd find it tougher because it's way more boring than being out on the road.

Milltown Row2

I've always found it harder on the treadmill, I've always ran faster over the same distance outside than in the gym.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Set a new parkrun PB yesterday! Happy days. Did a lot of miles last week and was tired so didn't expect that!

JimStynes

18 mile run yesterday and it was a complete struggle from the 12 mile mark. I will definitely have to walk at some point in the marathon. I have just run out of time to get another few long runs in I think. The marathon is on the 6th of April, what sort of mileage should I be doing between now and then? I had a a knee injuries for a few months there so don't want to get injured again in the last few weeks. Out for a 40 mile spin on the bike today and it helped loosen the legs up.

CD

Quote from: JimStynes on March 09, 2014, 04:37:44 PM
18 mile run yesterday and it was a complete struggle from the 12 mile mark. I will definitely have to walk at some point in the marathon. I have just run out of time to get another few long runs in I think. The marathon is on the 6th of April, what sort of mileage should I be doing between now and then? I had a a knee injuries for a few months there so don't want to get injured again in the last few weeks. Out for a 40 mile spin on the bike today and it helped loosen the legs up.

Be nice if you could do a twenty next week. 20 is a massive psychological milestone. After that you're down to the last two weeks when you should be running 50% of current distance. Then you should be tapering down to a max of 8-10mile run in the last week and a 10k or so three days before. The cycling will be great for the stamina!
Best of luck with the injury!

Milltown Row2

Not happy with this calf!! Race is Sunday haven't run for week, refereed yesterday and could feel it still tender. Will just do it at normal pace and get ready for Titanic Quarter race instead at a quicker pace.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Well done CD! I haven't had that text in a year and a half.

MR, you can tail me on Sun as I try to run 10k under 55 mins  ;D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on March 10, 2014, 09:51:54 PM

Make sure you wear those tight shorts he likes. "What sore calf?!"  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on March 10, 2014, 09:51:54 PM

Bitch  :P

magpie seanie

Did a super run last Friday, beating my pb on a local 7k loop by a considerable amount and generally feeling strong. Then ran a crap 4k on Monday and have been in terrible form since. Got out today at lunch and ran the same 4k a full minute quicker and all is good with the world again!

Wouldn't mind if I had been on the piss at the weekend but didn't have a beer at all (almost forget what it tastes like to tell the truth)! I guess sometimes you just can't explain it.

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on March 09, 2014, 12:00:12 PM
Studies show that you have to run at a 1% incline on treadmill to replicate outdoor conditions, you don't have wind and also physically driving yourself forward when your foot hits the ground is done by the belt moving. So if anything it should be easier on the treadmill for you, no harm though to be more suited to outdoor running

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2014, 02:19:54 PM
! I guess sometimes you just can't explain it.
Can be any number of reasons, sleep, food intake, hydration could been a little different that would affect how you feel, I'd say and sometimes ya, legs just don't have it, wouldn't worry at all about it Seanie.

Quote from: JimStynes on March 09, 2014, 04:37:44 PM
You doing Paris Jim? Heard it's class, fair play.
3 weeks out should be the last long one.
The key with the taper is to decrease the load (mileage) but to maintain the intensity....ie, reduce fatigue in the legs but still maintain your predicted marathon pace through some of the miles in the 2 weeks leading up to the marathon to maintain current fitness levels.
So, say the Tuesday before...10 minute warm up....1 mile at predicted marathon pace...5 min easy....1 mile predicted marathon pace, 10 min warm down...job done. You could do 2-4 marathon pace miles with 5 min easy in between depending on how you were feeling.

Bingo

Good to see everyone still at it.

Seanie - that really good run may have taken more out of you than you thought. I've said it on here before but on my last marathon cycle I learned now effective a nice slow recovery run can be. I know you've done the 10km and up the distance recently, maybe it just caught up with up. Or as Ballinaman says any number of reasons could have affected you.

Have been trying to up the miles myself and get back into a routine and only way I've been able to do that is early morning runs - 7am. Set out Saturday to do 10miles, haven't done 10miles since just before Xmas. It was a windy morning and it was a struggle. Tight going but finished them out and was happy enough at 8min/mile pace. Going to do the Omagh half at end of the month and then have a good run at the Newry half after that.

Really need the races to target the mind and motivate.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on March 12, 2014, 02:48:42 PM
Good to see everyone still at it.
Seanie - that really good run may have taken more out of you than you thought. .
Spot on, heard that it takes 1 day per mile raced to recover fully. Think it's about right, I went to do an interval session the Wednesday after the half marathon on the previous Saturday. Packed it it halfway through the reps,legs were fooked. No point doing damage and wasn't going to gain anything.