Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: laoislad on March 03, 2014, 08:34:07 AM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 02, 2014, 11:42:18 PM
Finished Runamuck yesterday, not a patch on Hell and back regarding toughness, it was a good stretch of the legs though, did the 10K in 1.09... top 20 out of 5000, am delighted...Roll on Connemara.....
Didn't see you. What group did you set off in, think we were 21 or something.

We were in the second wave at 11.15, it was good, no hold ups at the obstacles and the ground was reasonable, felt really strong on the second lap but one of two of obstacles we a bit choked up, so it was a case of "bulling through"....was home again at 1, so it was handy enough.

Milltown Row2

Think I'll push to the front for my race, otherwise I'll never meet my target!! 40 seconds is a lot lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Gaeilgoir

Anyone got any tips for pre-race nerves, For the first 5-7k i really struggle, cant find any rhythm, cant get my breath...then around 8k, its like a switch is flicked and i am grand and usually finish quite strong.....it is something that i am really conscious of now, it feels a bit like a panic attack .

Bingo

Re mats at the start, from organising a couple of races we've been told that the start mats were unreliable at times and that they could miss runners going over them due to the volume of runners all going through at one time. The provider said it was something they've incountered in the past and they can't seem to correct it.

Other providers I spoke to said it wasn't a problem with their system.

We used the first one without the starting mat as they were more flexible in other areas and we had a very wide road to start the race on, so got people over the line fairly quick.

The blackwater 10km in Monaghan got no chip times from their run in 2011 due to a problem with the mats they used.

mrdeeds

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 03, 2014, 10:14:05 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on March 03, 2014, 09:30:46 AM
Done the Bohermeen half marathons yesterday and my net time is 40 seconds slower than my gross time. Can anyone explain this? Surely my net time should be more if taking into consideration how long it took me to get to the starting point? Doesn't make sense to me.

I would understand your "Net" time is the actual time it took you from Start line to Finish line. Gross time is baiscally from race start to you crossing the finish line. Therefore it took you 40 seconds to get to the start line after the gun.

Yeah but I was placed according to my gross time. Here is the link for results: http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer?v=%252Fen%252Frace%252Fshow%252F1684%253Flayout%253Dprecision_timing

Bingo

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 03, 2014, 10:22:43 AM
Anyone got any tips for pre-race nerves, For the first 5-7k i really struggle, cant find any rhythm, cant get my breath...then around 8k, its like a switch is flicked and i am grand and usually finish quite strong.....it is something that i am really conscious of now, it feels a bit like a panic attack .

Nothing to help you with on that one. I'd be a fairly calm person naturally and nerves would rarely bother me.

The brother used to have trouble sleeping and got nervous in days before a race but he grew out of it when he did more of them.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 03, 2014, 10:22:43 AM

Experience I think is probably the answer, the more you do the more you know that you are well prepared.
If you are doing a big race for the year then its worthwhile doing a few smaller races to get used to it.

I had a similar experience in Carlingford on Saturday where I began to panic and it is just a matter of relaxing and getting back to thinking about exactly what you are doing, ur form, keeping your pace and not worrying about everything else
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

Is it nerves though or the fact that you're running a lot faster and you just need to adapt?

Are your splits better after 5-7k??

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2014, 12:09:34 PM
Is it nerves though or the fact that you're running a lot faster and you just need to adapt?

My splits would be quite similar and i have ran quite a few races at this stage, take the race on Saturday, the first half was 2 mins difference between the first and second half (first being faster). My normal 10 K is about 45 mins, 1.09 for the one on Saturday wasnt too excessive and by the end i felt i had some left in the tank.

Bingo

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 03, 2014, 04:40:06 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2014, 12:09:34 PM

My splits would be quite similar and i have ran quite a few races at this stage, take the race on Saturday, the first half was 2 mins difference between the first and second half (first being faster). My normal 10 K is about 45 mins, 1.09 for the one on Saturday wasnt too excessive and by the end i felt i had some left in the tank.
Mightn't be nerves at all, could be just a matter of getting your "second wind".

Whats your normal heart rate? Is it very low generally? Mine would be very low, first time I was getting a once over the doctor took it twice and asked me to come back another day to do it again. When i did the V2O test, it showed up the same, the bloke doing test said he thought I was a chancer, as it went from very low to high as soon as I started.

It did cause some uncomfort for me but as I lost weight the body wasn't working as hard and it got easier, times improved and I didn't have to work as hard. I've been slack recently and probably have a bit of weight on, felt myself working harder than before as I'd been doing mostly shorter runs with more pace to them.

Did a 10km run out just under 5min pace yesterday and it was a joy compared to some other decent runs. Kick in the arse really and I'm going to puch myself back into shape.

Milltown Row2

Entered the Titanic Quarter 10K race, Sun the 6th April. Any takers for this one?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dubh driocht

Not doing the Titanic MR2  but there is a 10K in Ormeau Park this Sunday for a worthy cause- Addiction NI. Nice flat course through the park/along the Lagan embankment - good for anyone in Belfast this weekend.
http://addictionni.com/info/10k/

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2014, 09:38:31 AM
Entered the Titanic Quarter 10K race, Sun the 6th April. Any takers for this one?

Think I will MR2. Going to do Jimmy's 10k on the 16th and then I'll register after that all being well. Had to pull out of Omagh half due to youngsters christening. Not too keen on the Ormeau runs coming up as they are 3 1/2 laps. Just can't deal with laps!!  :-\

Ran a nice steady 10k after work there - around 49mins. Felt really comfortable with that pace so reckon I can knock a few minutes off it with a good tailwind

Hoping to do 13.5k on Thursday all being well.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on March 04, 2014, 08:37:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2014, 09:38:31 AM

Think I will MR2. Going to do Jimmy's 10k on the 16th and then I'll register after that all being well. Had to pull out of Omagh half due to youngsters christening. Not too keen on the Ormeau runs coming up as they are 3 1/2 laps. Just can't deal with laps!!  :-\

Ran a nice steady 10k after work there - around 49mins. Felt really comfortable with that pace so reckon I can knock a few minutes off it with a good tailwind

Hoping to do 13.5k on Thursday all being well.

I'm getting a comfortable 45 on a hilly route, doing Jimmy 10K also but calf went on Sunday, working on it but the race starts on a hill I hear so need to work on my stretching more and no running till the race

bridgegael

out this morning for first time in 8months cause of illness.  felt great to get back on the road.  hope i can build from this. only did two miles and it hurt, but felt great.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"